Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I might as well be a new rider...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hiya -

Haven't been riding for years. Neighbor gave me her old bike a couple weeks ago and all it took was about 2 minutes for me to remember the YAHOO!! reason I loved it - I'm like an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon with it. Fortunately, it's a much healthier hobby than drinking! But now my neighbor's generosity is going to cost me money, because the bike is too big and is about 10 years old and I need to replace it with one that fits me.

I say I might as well be a new rider because so much has changed since I last bought a bike, and it's decisions decisions as to what I want/need. I found this forum and thought I'd get experienced input. Let's say I'm in the $500 to $800 price range. I live in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, and we have a lot of back roads. We also have the C&O Canal Towpath nearby. I'm not inclined to true mountain biking, but I am inclined to distance riding. What would be recommended for something that can go a little off road, but won't kill be after 50 miles on pavement?
    Last edited by WVGeo; 08-17-2009 at 12:54 PM.

[QUOTE= I'm not inclined to true mountain biking, but I am inclined to distance riding. What would be recommended for something that can go a little off road, but won't kill be after 50 miles on pavement?[/QUOTE]

I will await the answers too, since that description fits me pretty well and I'm looking to upgrade. I went on the Mickelson Trail in SD this summer with some friends and everyone could go faster than I could, even downhill! I had to pedal to keep up with their coasting on the downhill stretches. I have been going to Weight Watchers since I figured out that exercise alone wasn't going to lose the weight, and I have promised myself a new bike when I get to my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    ... and I have promised myself a new bike when I get to my goal weight.
    No no! Wrong order! To me good bike=weight loss!

Maybe I should add to my post that I'm 5'1", and 55. But I did 22 miles on the towpath yesterday for my third ride. I just keep wondering, though, how I could have so much padding on my butt and still feel the bones through it today...

Quote Originally Posted by WVGeo View Post
    No no! Wrong order! To me good bike=weight loss!

Maybe I should add to my post that I'm 5'1", and 55. But I did 22 miles on the towpath yesterday for my third ride. I just keep wondering, though, how I could have so much padding on my butt and still feel the bones through it today...
    Well, I tried that, and it didn't work. I don't have an oh-my-goodness-wonderful bike, but when I got it 5 years ago (when I was 55) I thought it was great, by far the best bike I'd ever had. It did get me exercising, and kept me exercising as my knees got worse, but I didn't lose weight on biking alone. Some do, I'm sure, but they must ride a lot more than I do. I'm working on increasing my mileage, but biking isn't my only interest, and I live where there are winters.

Quote Originally Posted by WVGeo View Post
    Hiya -

Haven't been riding for years. Neighbor gave me her old bike a couple weeks ago and all it took was about 2 minutes for me to remember the YAHOO!! reason I loved it - I'm like an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon with it. Fortunately, it's a much healthier hobby than drinking! But now my neighbor's generosity is going to cost me money, because the bike is too big and is about 10 years old and I need to replace it with one that fits me.

I say I might as well be a new rider because so much has changed since I last bought a bike, and it's decisions decisions as to what I want/need. I found this forum and thought I'd get experienced input. Let's say I'm in the $500 to $800 price range. I live in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, and we have a lot of back roads. We also have the C&O Canal Towpath nearby. I'm not inclined to true mountain biking, but I am inclined to distance riding. What would be recommended for something that can go a little off road, but won't kill be after 50 miles on pavement?
    Maybe look into one of the trek fx's? Or a touring bike? Jamis aurora?

http://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha...amis_08_Aurora

+1 on checking out the Trek FX models. My first bike was a Trek FX and still I love it. A wider tire and more of a tread (varying by model) than a road bike but still light enough to carry up/down steps if necessary. Several of the models would be in your price range I think. I did a week long AIDS ride of 560 miles on mine and a few other century rides, so it should work for the distances you have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Maybe look into one of the trek fx's? Or a touring bike? Jamis aurora?

http://bicyclebananas.com/mm5/mercha...amis_08_Aurora
    Well...
    Speaking from experience with the FX 7.3 and the Aurora, I'd vote for the Aurora.
    It's faster on the road and will do the towpath too.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Well, I tried that, and it didn't work. I don't have an oh-my-goodness-wonderful bike, but when I got it 5 years ago (when I was 55) I thought it was great, by far the best bike I'd ever had. It did get me exercising, and kept me exercising as my knees got worse, but I didn't lose weight on biking alone. Some do, I'm sure, but they must ride a lot more than I do. I'm working on increasing my mileage, but biking isn't my only interest, and I live where there are winters.
    Actually - I was kidding about that. It's just a "good" rationalization for buying a new bike. I get a lot of exercise already, but my eating and beer habits have been so bad for a few years, and then there's the whole getting older so the weight "sticks" more. So I've got about 25-30 lbs to lose as well.

I've been reading reviews of the Trek 7.3 FX WSD, and once in a while I note a "not good off road" in the rating. Anybody have any experience with that at all? Or is it more a "not a mountain bike so it feels different" rating?

it depends on what you mean by off road - it definitely doesn't have a suspension, so if you really want to do mountain biking type trails... it's not what you want. You could maybe look into cyclocross type bikes for that.

but if you just want to do gravel or unpaved tow paths, the trek is going to be fine.

the trek is aluminum... aluminum is "harsh" when you hit bumps - it's a stiff material that transmits vibrations. The Jamis that I mentioned & Zen has is steel... Steel's a more "comfy" ride because steel sort of flexes and absorbs vibrations.

Tires make a huge difference for the "off road but not mountain biking" riding -- and also what works for you. I've seen people cruising on paths on road bikes that would have me walking in a heartbeat... I'm not sure whether it's an acquirable skill or whether those folks just haven't fallen down enough times to discourage them. I do not not not not not like falling down.
    Actually, for paths and crappy roads I likemy folding bike (Dahon) with its Big Apple Tires very much best. Mostly around here for long distances it's roads, though, so my 7500 FX gets used for most things over 50 miles. However, for multi-day, I go back to my real, steel Giant Nutra with Xtracycle so my backside doesn't get up and leave in protest.
    I'd want to know how much experience the varied reviewers had with riding, since lots of new riders go with that model. If somebody went from a mountain bike to that...
    Last edited by Geonz; 08-18-2009 at 09:19 AM.

+2 on the Trek. I just picked up my Trek FX 7.5 WSD last night. I had bought a Trek 7200 WSD a couple of weeks ago that I really liked except for shifting, etc. I absolutely love the FX -- and either of these might work for you.

If you go to the Trek site they talk about the changes in the 2009 models in the video. Originally I was going to order the 7.3 but it wasn't enough of an upgrade; the 7.5 has an incredibly comfortable seat, smooth trigger shifting, and FASTER...my average pace was almost 4 mph and my fastest pace was 6 mph faster. I ended up going 10.25 miles in 50 minutes and that included two long stops for traffic. I could've gone longer but I had to get back. The FX has a carbon fork and it is truly the smoothest ride I've ever had. Before buying the 7.5, I test rode the 7.3 and was IN LOVE with it -- the only difference is the 7.5 has this seat that moves a bit with you. But WVGeo, I purchased the 7.5 based on how much I liked that 7.3.

The unpaved portions of my trail are a fine gravel. The FX's tire is MUCH thinner and the 7200 handled it like a mountain bike. There are plenty of road bikers on this trail and the FX handled it just fine -- just not as fantastically as the 7200. The 7200 is a true hybrid in that I would've felt completely comfortable taking it on just about ANY unpaved trail that wasn't cliffs and jumps. However, it is as slow and heavy as a mountain bike. Like driving a nice sedan.

Test drive a whole bunch and see what you like. Post back what you end up getting!
    Last edited by graceomalley; 08-18-2009 at 02:48 PM.

I bought a 2008 Vita Sport by Specialized. It is equivalent to a 2009 Vita Elite. They call it a flat bar road bike. It has a Dolce seat. It is a WSD small which is 51cm (I'm 5'3"). From the moment I got it, it was so comfortable. No complaints in the seat area, shoulders or hands. It weighs 22 lbs. (unlike my first comfort hybrid Globe which weighed 35 lbs.) The various models are between $500-$880. It goes faster and is easy to ride. I bought a bigger rear cassette for hills, and some ergonomic bar ends for longer rides.

I wonder when I read this forum and am around bike club people, why they consider this bike a 'cute little hybrid'. I read about the Sora components as if they are cheap and not good, but it seems to work fine. I don't think I would ever use drop handlebars, so why would I need them? Is this some sort of status thing to pay lots of money for a road bike, or are they really that much better? I also read about all the body pains and complaints with these more aggressive styled bikes, and I don't have any. So, perhaps if I rode one I would notice a difference (or not). Right now this suits me just fine and I think you might like to test one yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by featuretile View Post

I wonder when I read this forum and am around bike club people, why they consider this bike a 'cute little hybrid'. I read about the Sora components as if they are cheap and not good, but it seems to work fine. I don't think I would ever use drop handlebars, so why would I need them? Is this some sort of status thing to pay lots of money for a road bike, or are they really that much better? I also read about all the body pains and complaints with these more aggressive styled bikes, and I don't have any. So, perhaps if I rode one I would notice a difference (or not). Right now this suits me just fine and I think you might like to test one yourself.
    No, it's not a "status" thing to ride a road bike. Like the way your bike suits you, a road bike suits me. I cannot ride comfortably with flat bars due to wrist issues. I am comfortable in an aero position, and I most often ride in the drops. Road bike geometry is right for me.

I'm glad you've found a bike you like. It sounds like someone offended you for riding it, but just remember to do what works for you, and ignore the rest. We are here to support and encourage your love of the sport.

And the price of different component groups is due to weight, finish, and quality. If you are happy with what you have, no need to change because you feel pressured. There's no pressure on this forum, as far as I can tell (except maybe to wear wool as much as possible ).

Good luck!

I know what you mean. I have a road bike, but it's entry level--Sora components, that sort of thing. They work as well as they need to. BF's bike is Ultegra--lighter, shinier...He teases me about my "cheap bike" (his wheels cost more than my bike), but I don't care. It's my bike, it suits me for where I am right now. The components may one day be upgraded (when I have money), but right now, I'm quite happy with it.

I bought a 2008 Vita Sport by Specialized. It is equivalent to a 2009 Vita Elite. They call it a flat bar road bike. It has a Dolce seat. It is a WSD small which is 51cm (I'm 5'3"). From the moment I got it, it was so comfortable. No complaints in the seat area, shoulders or hands. It weighs 22 lbs. (unlike my first comfort hybrid Globe which weighed 35 lbs.) The various models are between $500-$880. It goes faster and is easy to ride. I bought a bigger rear cassette for hills, and some ergonomic bar ends for longer rides.

Well a true road bike with drops is all about performance. Obviously everyone has different goals on their bike.

Your bike works wonderful for you and how you use it.

It wouldn't work for me. A road bike works for me. I'm a triathlete, and I have used my road bike for everything from a sprint all the way up to an Ironman.

I also do local group rides of 30 miles where we keep a 18-20 mph average (not the rolling speed- but the overall average at the end of the ride- we are typically rolling at speeds of 20-26 mph).

You mention Sorta components. I started on Tiagra components with my first roadie, a Trek 1000... and they sucked.

I now have all Ultegra. Night and day difference.

The Tiagra components needed to CONSTANTLY be adjusted. In fact, I rode around on that stupid bike for a good 3 months where I couldn't even get into the big chain ring. I also had to have the bike shop adjust the derailer once a week.

My Ultegra components... no adjustments. In fact, I've only had 2 tune up's since January 2007. One of those was the "new bike" tune up.

I'm sorry if someone made you feel bad about the bike you ride. There are some people in this sport who are very serious about it. They aren't in it to "have fun"... they are all about speed, racing, etc. and tend to lose sight of the fact that not everyone is into cycling for those reasons.

Anyways... Trust me, we don't get roadies for the status symbol of owning one. They are machines that have a purpose.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"