Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bald Guys

Bald Guys

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK Ladies, this isn't a girl question; however, I am always bragging about how helpful you all are so my boyfriend asked if I would ask for some advice on his behalf. Any ideas how a bald guy can keep sweat from dripping into his eyeballs? He wears one of those halo headbands; he says that works for about the first 10 miles or so. We live in Ft Lauderdale, so it is very hot and very humid. A bandana skullcap works reasonably well, but during a triathlon he can't depend on me to help him tie it. (In sickness and in health -- not transition)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Darn, I was going to suggest a halo headband. Beyond that I've got nothing. Good luck!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

move further north?
    I think a non bald man would have this same problem working out in that weather. I know i get sweat in my eyes when I am really working hard too!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I wear a coolmax head wrap thingy (skull cap sort of thing) when on training rides and long course races (half ironman/ironman). Sort of like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/697116 - Mine has a bungee in the back instead of a tie. It goes on fairly quickly and helps me feel cooler in heat and warmer in cold.

Mine is actually made by Pace Sportswear: http://www.pacesportswear.com/digitalhelmetliners.aspx (or in solid colors - http://www.pacesportswear.com/solidhelmetliners.aspx) - it has a soft border where it touches your skin around the edges and the rest is coolmax.

What about tucking the front ends of a bandana up into his helmet vents, or attaching it to his helmet some other way, so that he can just slap it on in transition?

One of my riding buddies doesn't have his head shaved all the way, but it's a very short buzz cut. I'm not sure what kind of a do-rag it is that he wears, but he doesn't have any trouble re-tying it himself. But yeah, it does take him a few seconds, more than someone would want to spend in transition I think.

This just occurred to me - what about taking one of those microfiber kitchen cloths and cutting a strip (maybe doubled over) to attach to the forehead of his helmet? Those things are super absorbent, and by cutting a strip, he wouldn't be blocking the vents.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Even us guys with hair have that problem ;-)

Some ideas:

1. Sweat-Gutr: this is a little clear plastic headband that catches the sweat like a rain gutter and diverts it to the sides, behind your eyes. I've ridden at least two summers, including two Hotter 'n Hell Hundreds with one of these, and it works pretty well.

2. Headband: I've got one of those CoolMax headbands with a little rubber band on the lower inside surface that does about the same thing. It works well, but since it's a lot wider than the SweatGutr, it tends to get up under the helmet and make me think there's some sort of compression band around my head.

3. Do-Rags. I'm a little bit challenged too, when it comes to tying these things on, so I don't try this very often. (Guess I wouldn't make a good pirate or motorcycle gang member). It does have the advantage, if you're hairless, of blocking the sun that comes in through the helmet vent holes and making you look like that Darth Maul feller from the Star Wars movie...

4. Cycling cap, worn under the helmet. I like this one, especially when the sun is low and in your eyes, or when it's raining... the bill of the cap gives you a little more shade...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath View Post
    Even us guys with hair have that problem ;-)

4. Cycling cap, worn under the helmet. I like this one, especially when the sun is low and in your eyes, or when it's raining... the bill of the cap gives you a little more shade...

Tom
    I'm not bald, but I do this, and it really works.

I don't like the long ties on some of doo-rag style wicking caps, so I wear little wicking beanies instead. No elastic, no ties- just stretchy wicking material. Doesn't get much easier than that

I have a couple that are from Performance, and a couple more that are Headsweat brand. They all work great, and definitely cut down on the amount of sweat running down my face.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I wear a coolmax head wrap thingy (skull cap sort of thing) when on training rides and long course races (half ironman/ironman). Sort of like this one: http://www.rei.com/product/697116
    Headsweats.
    My DH is follicularly challenged and he has several of these that he uses and finds them to be quite handy on hot rides.

if all else fails, maybe he could start sportin a unabrow.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Are we focused too much on the wrap and not the helmet itself? My Pneumo is much cooler than my prior helmets and well suited for summer wear. Some Rudy Project helmets have a webbed hammock that minimizes the heat causing helmet/head contact thus promoting ventilation and evaporation.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    Are we focused too much on the wrap and not the helmet itself? My Pneumo is much cooler than my prior helmets and well suited for summer wear.
    My DH had a Pneumo up until this year, when he moved to an Atmos.
    Still needs the Headsweats on those hot, sticky, 95/95 rides (95 degrees, 95 percent humidity).
    I've seen guys on the ride - wearing Pneumos, Ghisallos, Atmos, whatever - stop at a light, lean forward, and press their helmet into their head. It's like ringing out a sponge. The sweat runs out like a steady stream. It's actually quite gross.
    Besides, the Headsweat also gives the follicularly challenged guys a little SPF protection, so they don't get helmet-striped tan lines on their head!

This is the bald guy

Thanks everyone for your advice. I ended up buying a Halo Protex. A combination of a Halo headband and a do-rag. Hopefully, this will do the trick.

Yours in baldness and biking,

Vince