Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a psycho-nut for BMX pedals. Only one of my bikes has clipless (Speedplay Frogs), the others have BMX. I feel I have the same control and power with both, but feel more comfortable with the BMX over all. (Mind you, I am a masher. Always have been, and always will be.) I love being able to customize the grip surface with the set screws. I love replacing screws as they fall out. I love the huge platform that lets me wear any shoe, and grips beautifully.

Try anything that appeals to you. I would never have imagined I'd love BMX pedals so much. I was a devout cage user for 3 decades, then was a devout Frog user, now am equally in love with BMX. Experiment!

ETA: as a masher, I tend to pedal at a slower cadence and don't "pull up" on the pedals. Being attached to the pedals isn't as important to me as just having a good non-slip connection. Speedplay Frogs and BMX meet that need nicely, but I don't have a need to be attached. (If you want to get into the masher vs. spinner debate, do a search on slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers.)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 08-04-2009 at 08:19 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I am a platform pedal user too--Wellgo MG-1's for me. I found platform pedaling to be more appropriate for me for a number of reasons. I don't have to adjust cleats on my shoes, walk in stiff soled shoes, I can change foot positions on the pedal, and can use most any shoe. I also wear 43's so a platform pedal works better for me.

Here's an interesting article about arch pedaling:

http://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

As far as clipping in, I'd say "whatever works for you," with the exception of climbing steep hills, where you do pull up quite a bit on the upstroke, and where your foot slipping off the pedal is extra likely because of the forces involved, yet could be disastrous.

But as far as the benefit of stiff soles, that article is way off base. Rhumpty-mumble years ago, when I got my first pair of cycling shoes, it added 1.5 mph (about 8%) to my average speed over a particular course, doing nothing else different - and that was a flat course. A pure 8% efficiency gain, just from the shoes. Your feet can't support themselves cycling as they do walking for the simple reason that your pedal is not the size of your whole foot. When walking or running, your points of attachment to the ground are the two corners of your heel, the heads of your first and fifth metatarsals, and your big toe. There's no bicycle pedal in the world that big, and there are reasons for that. (I'll leave the barefoot/foot pathology discussion to the running subforum, there's plenty of it there).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    But as far as the benefit of stiff soles, that article is way off base. Rhumpty-mumble years ago, when I got my first pair of cycling shoes, . . . Your feet can't support themselves cycling as they do walking for the simple reason that your pedal is not the size of your whole foot. When walking or running, your points of attachment to the ground are the two corners of your heel, the heads of your first and fifth metatarsals, and your big toe. There's no bicycle pedal in the world that big, and there are reasons for that. (I'll leave the barefoot/foot pathology discussion to the running subforum, there's plenty of it there).
    I agree. His statements about stiff soles are "a bunch of hooey." Otherwise, why would I need my stiff orthotics not only for cycling but for skiing where I have nearly the world's biggest platform? Your feet are very dynamic as they are pressed downward, sideways, etc. There's more to foot "bending" than just the forward motion of walking.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Another newbie here, on a bike after decades off. I'm still trying to figure out how to get both my feet into the straps/cages . Gravity dictates that their natural position is hanging upside down. I can generally get one foot in before take-off (still a bit awkward, but hey, I'm beyond using my hand now), but for the life of me, I can't get that second one in! I'm not going to stress about it too much; too busy familiarizing myself with more important things like brakes and gears and not running over pedestrians. It's just funny how, even though my general ability to ride a bike has remained intact after all these years, the "naturalness" of it hasn't quite come back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I went from flat, to cages (and once you master cages with straps, you can for sure master clipless) to clipless with encouragement from redrhodie and my husband. I love it. It feels right in the same way a safety belt feels right in a car.
    Ditto this. Though - I started with flat pedals and then cages on my MTB and when I bought the road bike, went directly to clipless. The guy in the shop was convinced that I'd kill myself or cause an accident - but it felt very natural to me from the start.

I have since moved my MTB to clipless as well, but it's not quite as natural (mostly because I'm a klutz on a mountain bike!).

When I was riding my around town bike (that had platform pedals) and had to stand to power up a small hill, I really hurt myself when my feet didn't stay on the pedals! Apparently, for me, it's quite natural to use both the upward and downward stroke and I can't do that on a flat pedal.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by velouria View Post
    Another newbie here, on a bike after decades off. I'm still trying to figure out how to get both my feet into the straps/cages . Gravity dictates that their natural position is hanging upside down. I can generally get one foot in before take-off (still a bit awkward, but hey, I'm beyond using my hand now), but for the life of me, I can't get that second one in! I'm not going to stress about it too much; too busy familiarizing myself with more important things like brakes and gears and not running over pedestrians. It's just funny how, even though my general ability to ride a bike has remained intact after all these years, the "naturalness" of it hasn't quite come back yet.
    Like you said, you get the first one in before you start forward, and use it for the first hard push to get rolling. I just put my foot on the other pedal any old way for the first few strokes to pick up some speed....and THEN I can stop pedaling for a second while i flip the other pedal and slip my foot in. (I use PowerGrip straps). Sounds more complex than it is though- only takes a second.
    My husband uses cages but he has them adjusted so that he doesn't have to adjust the buckles to get in or out.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No one has yet explained why you get more power:

because you can get more muscles to work, hamstrings, glutes, core - you simply have twice the muscle. This doesn't necessarily translate into twice the speed, but maybe twice the endurance (or almost twice).
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

When I switched from cages to Speedplay Frogs it made an immediate difference of 1 mph on my commute. I was chortling with glee as my 5 mph hill became a 6 mph hill.

That seemed to be the only difference they made speed-wise, but boy was it gratifying!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have been riding for over 15 years, and have always ridden flats. I recently switched from MTB to cyclocross and was considering going clipless. After reading forums, checking out cleats, and talking to my chiropractor and physiotherapist family/friends, I have decided to stay on flats. Check out this site if you are interested in the flat pedal outlook (the guy has some poor spelling/grammar, but his reasons check out): http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/...-July-2014.pdf

On a somewhat related topic (sorry, new to this forum and cannot find a 'start forum' button), I am looking for some good shoes for flats. When riding on trails I always had to settle for a skate style shoe, but want something a bit more streamlined for cyclo. 5-10s look fine with armour and MTB clothes, but look a bit weird when riding drop bars in the city. For pedals I have settled on Xpedo Traverse 7, JEK or Faceoff 18, but shoes are another matter. I want the grip of the 5-10 style rubber but something that looks a bit less juvenile. Some people suggest plain old hikers, but this does not work as the soles are rough and do not give proper traction on the pedal (to many ridges in the sole).
    Does anyone else have advice on balancing flat pedal riding with not looking like a 13 year old skater boy? Should I just write to 5-10 and beg them to make a shoe that appeals to 30-something women? http://fiveten.com/products/bike/all-mountain

Thanks!