Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: When I'm... 72.

When I'm... 72.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hope I'll be able to do something similar in hum... 2049. I won't have a college sweetheart to do it with unfortunately, but ... here it is. From the Chronicle of Higher Education:

Golden Gears

By JAMIE SCHUMAN

Some people drive to their college reunions, others fly, and some, like Chuck R. and Luanne C. Hazelrigg, opt for other forms of transportation. The Hazelriggs cycled 1,200 miles from their Denver home to Miami University of Ohio -- no small feat for a pair of 72-year-olds from the Class of 1955.

The couple left Denver on May 18 and biked about 45 miles a day through Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and, finally, Ohio to arrive at the reunion in Oxford on June 17. Even though the Hazelriggs took a few days off to sightsee, they made such good time that they arrived on the campus almost a week before the kickoff on June 23.

Ms. Hazelrigg says that while she enjoyed seeing the country, she and her husband were glad to get to the campus, where they visited with old friends.

"It's just fun to walk down memory lane," says Ms. Hazelrigg, who has served as a trustee of the University of Northern Colorado and of Red Rocks Community College.

The couple, who met as sophomores at Miami, decided to ride to memory lane, in part, to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, which was in January.

Both Hazelriggs are avid cyclists, but only Chuck, a former banker, had done long-distance touring. He biked across the country for his 65th birthday. To avoid having an advantage over his wife, Mr. Hazelrigg carried 47 pounds of gear on a trailer attached to his Trek 5200 road bike.

And the trip back home? They flew.

http://chronicle.com
    Section: Short Subjects
    Volume 51, Issue 45, Page A8

I love this story... I wish all of us a story like this to suit our lives - biking in our seventies with our best friends, lovers or partners... yeah, I wish all of us a story like this

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

What a great story! Very inspirational.

Grog, here's to when you're 72 you can ride to your re-union with a sweetheart and maybe a bunch of TE gals tagging along.

My Mom who clips articles whenever there's something I should read gave me a copy of this article which I think was in a British paper. I told here I hoped to find an online version to share with you and by gum I found it:

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/yourhea...s_a_wheel.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Never underestimate the power of a bicycle-riding grandma
    Okay, when the time comes, this is going to be on the back of my jersey! What wonderful stories!!!

nuthatch "Okay, when the time comes, this is going to be on the back of my jersey! What wonderful stories!!!"

jersey for the kids "my grandma can drop your grandma"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

How about this lady?

Cycling Gran!

How cool! Okay, you antipodeans, what does it mean to be "chuffed"? Is it excited, upset, happy, enthusiastic, or all of these? Is there an american equivalent?

It means pleased, often with an element of happy surprise. Like, I would be chuffed if I discovered my flatmate had cleaned the bathroom, even though it is probably my turn.

I'm well-chuffed that my man is hinting at getting me a new bike so I can have a training bike AND a racing bike...

I want the new de Rosa I saw in the latest (Aussie) July/Aug issue of "Bicycling" mag

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

You might want a second mortgage too...