Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

It sucks being short-bike lust reality. Long.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I've been looking for a trailbike with around 5" of travel. 3.5" of travel is sometimes not enough. I love my Giant Anthem, but I've been on more technical rides and am getting pounded a bit so I decided to look into my dream bikes.

Reality is, they don't fit.

I spent all last Sunday going to all the local LBSs, to check out Trek, Ibis, Turner, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, Giant, Pivot and others. Trying to lower the weight below 26lbs, raise the travel and not break the bank while finding something that fits is quite a challenge. I really want an Ibis, but even the small left no margin for error in an emergency hop-off. So I X'd that with a tear. Giant Trance-X, plenty of standover, but a little heavy unless I go carbon and there goes the budget. Pivot- could not find a small to try, and as the fork uses 15qr it leaves out the use of my favorite wheelset. Cannondale, too big, shucks. My standover is 27.5". Santa Cruz, too big. Turner, very nice but there goes that budget again.

I'm about to give up when I happen on Specialized. The Safire, to be exact. Ok, their bottom model is ALU but at least I can stand over it! The small feels great too but I can't find the carbon 'Expert' model, and I would like to see it before going like a grand over budget! It's like 4500 bucks.

So last place I go is a big Specialized dealer near home. No he does not have a carbon Safire either. No 09 model deals (and how often do we small women get lucky with those?). But, Specialized has 7 small 08 Safires left at more than 1/2 off. Ok, check the specs, same frame, Sram X0/XTR- oh gosh it's an S-Works. Marta SL Carbon brakes, Thomson. Newer ones have Avid brakes no biggie. Color change no biggie. I don't care about model year I like the blue color. Good dealer, good support. $3500 otd sounds great to me! So finally I am happy! Just gotta wait for the BBT to deliver the new baby from SPEC. Deep down inside I still want an Ibis, but finding an S-Works dulls the hurt some
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

yu

Yup..been there & know all about small mtn bikes! I found out the only ones that would be suitable for me (and ones that I'd be interested in) are: Yeti, SantaCruz or Rocky Mountain.

Pivot..mmmm...very nice! Ibis..doesn't come in my size..

Post pics when you get it dirty

This isn't limited to mtb's. Just went through the same thing looking for a road and commuter bike. Really narrows down your choices. If you find one in your size, forget about being able to ride it first because no one carries these in stock and you are stuck with whatever color it comes in

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If I read your post right, your budget is $3500? That's easy. Go custom. End of story.

Mmmm, mmm, mmm. Seven left over, you say? (Or six, now?) My road buddy has been after me to get a MTB...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    If I read your post right, your budget is $3500? That's easy. Go custom. End of story.
    Like a Luna

http://www.lunacycles.com/bike.html
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    But she doesn't do a swingarm frame

And I don't think that budget will get even close to a custom FS. OP said she needs 5"... so a hardtail is out of the question.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-10-2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Different experience buying extra small bikes ...

I don't have any experience buying mountain bikes, but I have found that my patience plus extra small needs (~43 cm) have allowed me to get great deals on used bikes.

I own two titanium road bikes from top custom builders. The first I paid about 1/3 the price of new for a perfect bike with only 500 miles. The second I paid 1/3 the price of a new frame for a complete bike (although some of the components were worn and needed upgrading). It takes patience but when these tiny gems are for sale there aren't a lot of bidders. Buying on eBay doesn't allow me to test ride, but I know what geometry will fit and what won't work so I don't worry.

I wondered what I'd do if I won Fat Cyclist's last fund raising contest - the prize was your choice of any Ibis bike. No models came in a small enough size for me. They make great bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Another vote. I'm not short. Quite the opposite, but I am "uniquely proportioned" so I understand the frustration.

It really sucks walking into a bike shop and seeing all the pretty bikes and trying out bike after bike after bike. Nothing fits. Surely one, just one, bike can be made to fit without it being unstable? Nope.

It took a long time to convince me, but I finally went custom. Best move I ever made. I have a bike that fits me (and most likely, me alone).

Your budget pushes you into the custom realm. Go for it. It will be money well spent.

I was about to go home and try and justify a TI custom bike when I discovered the Safire and was lucky that they had a few '08s or I would never have justified the 7grand or so it costs. I am lucky it fit so well. I guess some women don't like the 'upright' feeling in the cockpit, but as I have short arms it feels good. Besides, it's a trail bike, not a racer.

Woot it came in yesterday but I was too tired after work to go; gonna get it today, put on my pedals and saddle and hit the hills!
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Quote Originally Posted by Jaclyn View Post
    I don't have any experience buying mountain bikes, but I have found that my patience plus extra small needs (~43 cm) have allowed me to get great deals on used bikes.

It takes patience but when these tiny gems are for sale there aren't a lot of bidders. Buying on eBay doesn't allow me to test ride, but I know what geometry will fit and what won't work so I don't worry.
    +1

I got someone's tiny custom geometry Gunnar Sport frame with an Ouzo Pro fork on ebay for 1/4 of the original cost. (I won it, $285 shipped)

A few years back I got a Gunnar Rockhound ht mtn frame for $200 on ebay.

A year ago I got a leftover 2007 44cm Specialized Ruby Expert for 30% off. $2000 for a full carbon, full Ultegra triple bike is not bad....

My commuter bike is a REI garage sale find: a NOS in-the-box old style steel Novara Randonee frame for $15.

Always keep your eyes open.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon