Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

OH my achin' dogs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi y'all,

It's been a while since I posted, but always get the very best info here!

I've searched the forum, let me say that first, and have gathered some info, but want to specifically ask you this:

I have very bad feet from rheumatoid arthritis. I've had occasional trouble with hot foot, numbness, pain, etc., but it's gotten waaaay worse this season. Bad pain on ball of left foot (cycling, walking, whenever); big ole bunion and hammer toe on right.

See why I don't waste $ on pedicures?

Foot pain starts up 8-10 miles in and I absolutely have to stop every 10 miles and take off my shoes. Start back up, pain kicks back in, another 10 miles, repeat process.

Don't have custom orthotics, though haven't counted that out; insurance won't pay. Have looked into SuperFeet; may still try that. But what I think I really need is a road bike shoe with a wider toe box. Since my heel isn't that wide, I'm not sure the Sidi Megas will work, but I'm going to try some on tomorrow. I've heard Northwave has generally wider shoes. I'm also aware that men's shoes in general are wider than women's, so just a regular man's shoe might doing. Use SPDs and have also thought about changing pedals to something with a bit wider platform, but I do love my SPDs out of habit.

I'm a recreational rider and do around 100 miles on a good week this year, way down from previous years (youngest graduated, house on the market, hey life gets in the way!)

Any suggestions will be welcome!

Thanks! You ladies are the best!

Ugh. foot pain sucks. I'm dealing with this myself. I have psoriatic arthritis with a good portion of my damage in the feet.

Here's my advice: Don't waste the money on custom orthotics unless you know the pedorthist can make them work for cycling shoes. I have custom orthotics, but they won't fit into any cycling shoes I've tried. They're just too thick. I got them before I started cycling though... I don't want to fork out the $$ for a new pair out of pocket.

I've tried the Specialized OTC orthotics, but I didn't care for them with my ridiculously high arches. They also didn't have a lot of metatarsal support, which I really need due to where my joint damage is. You might have better luck though. Other brands might be better as well.

I've heard good things about Nothwave shoes for folks with wide feet and foot problems. A lady I ride with has RA and has had them recommended by several people. Right now she wears Keen sandals to accommodate her foot problems. So, that might be another option, for summer, at least.

Shew! Welcome back!

(I know it's "she who bikes" but I've always read your name as shew )

just popped in to say hi, I don't have suggestions for your foot probs - best of luck on that ...

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Ha!

I get that a lot. Sorta did it on purpose for fun. Thanks for the welcome back! Your posts are always good!

hey lo123

Thanks! I am going to check out northwave. Sure wish I could try some on, but maybe I can order them and send them back if they don't feel good...

I think one approach might be to get orthotics insole and buy new shoes after, so I can try them on with the new insoles?

Sucks getting old...

Oh, p.s., I do have sandals. Lake. They rock. But not much help with foot pain.
    Last edited by shewhobikes; 07-26-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add info

did the northwaves work?

Never heard of that brand, so I learned something new, gonna check them out.
    I had a pair of orthotics made just for my cycling shoes, they are smaller than the other two pairs.
    Men's shoes are bigger, but you gotta try them on to see how the fit is. Personally, i wear a ladies size 11, which means if I want functional footwear I buy men's sizes.

I tried the Keens sandal. They make a ladies size 11, but the sizing is a joke. Many footwear makers, to make the bigger sizes, just make the shoe longer without proportionately changing the upper. That's like fitting a bike to a tall person by just adding a longer seatpost, there's more to it then that.

I don't know if this will help, but I have a Morton's neuroma on the ball of my right foot that has caused me a lot of pain and numbness when running and cycling. I used to wear thick socks when I ran and my cycling shoes had a narrow toe box. I switched to thin cycling socks for running, and bought some Sidi Genius 5's that have a larger toe box than my previous cycling shoes, and that combination seems to have cured the pain and numbness. Having room for my forefoot to spread out appears to be the key.

Good luck.

I like a wider toe box and have very flat feet. So flat, that I wore custom orthotics for years as a child. Didn't do any good and I still have pain in the arches and get hot-foot while cycling sometimes. I've been very happy with Shimano shoes- and found that for me, a stiff sole makes it more comfortable as the sole isn't flexing when I push down. So I use their fiber soled shoes and just love them. Used to love Sidi but maybe my feet got wider because I find them narrow and constricting now unless I wear very thin socks.

I did find a really good (for me) moldable insole, made by Louis Garneau, that you put in the oven to soften, then put in the shoe and stand in them till they cool, and they mold to your feet. I put them in my Shimano mtb shoes and it is a perfect marriage; I have ridden in them all day every day for a week in Oregon on vacation earlier this month and my feet just felt great. I put the Specialized BG footbed in my road shoes and they help, but the LG moldable insoles are awesome.

Good luck finding a setup that works; it's like finding 'the one' saddle. The payoff in pain reduced/free riding is worth the hunt.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    I don't know if this will help, but I have a Morton's neuroma on the ball of my right foot that has caused me a lot of pain and numbness when running and cycling. I used to wear thick socks when I ran and my cycling shoes had a narrow toe box. I switched to thin cycling socks for running, and bought some Sidi Genius 5's that have a larger toe box than my previous cycling shoes, and that combination seems to have cured the pain and numbness. Having room for my forefoot to spread out appears to be the key.

Good luck.
    Well what do you know? I went to the orthopedic foot doc today and that's exactly what I have, the Morton thingy! Bless you! I will now seek out a larger toe box, get thin sox and maybe a gel insert. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    I like a wider toe box and have very flat feet. So flat, that I wore custom orthotics for years as a child. Didn't do any good and I still have pain in the arches and get hot-foot while cycling sometimes. I've been very happy with Shimano shoes- and found that for me, a stiff sole makes it more comfortable as the sole isn't flexing when I push down. So I use their fiber soled shoes and just love them. Used to love Sidi but maybe my feet got wider because I find them narrow and constricting now unless I wear very thin socks.

I did find a really good (for me) moldable insole, made by Louis Garneau, that you put in the oven to soften, then put in the shoe and stand in them till they cool, and they mold to your feet. I put them in my Shimano mtb shoes and it is a perfect marriage; I have ridden in them all day every day for a week in Oregon on vacation earlier this month and my feet just felt great. I put the Specialized BG footbed in my road shoes and they help, but the LG moldable insoles are awesome.

Good luck finding a setup that works; it's like finding 'the one' saddle. The payoff in pain reduced/free riding is worth the hunt.
    Yay!!! More great advice. TE forum rocks! I will check for the Garneau insoles. And you are so right...saddle, shoes, shorts, it's all about making riding fun and as pain-free as possible. thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    I'm sooo looking for those insoles! Thanks

Found em: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodLG_1487069.html
    Last edited by lo123; 07-29-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Chiming in a bit late here...but wanted to comment on the Northwave cycling shoes. I'm currently wearing a pair, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! I too, deal with a myriad of foot issues - PF in my left foot, toe pain/numbness in my right foot, underlapping toes in BOTH feet. I needed a wider toe box, but not a wide shoe in general. Sidi's just didn't work for me...the regular Sidi is too narrow all-around, and the Mega is too wide all-around. I also tried a few styles of Specialized, but never really found that perfect fit. I had heard about the Northwave shoes having a wider toe box, but narrower heel...which is exactly what I was looking for. I ordered a pair of women's Northwave Velvet SBS, and I could not be happier! They feel like slippers compared to any other cycling shoe that I've tried. Try the Northwaves...I don't think you'll be disappointed.