Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I ride 20 miles when I've been only riding 10?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding 10 miles, and it's starting to feel pretty comfortable. Like at the end of the ride, I don't really want to stop (but I have to because I have to get to work).

Saturday is my one day of the week that I can ride longer. For some reason I really feel the desire to try for 20. However, I haven't ridden that long in, oh 20 years. Am I crazy to try this? If I got desperate I could have my husband come pick me up, but I really don't want to because a) I'd be totally embarrassed, and b) my bike doesn't fit in the back of our car very well so it'd be a royal pain.

Go for it! Better to set a high goal and try your best (any gain is success!)than to set no goal and succeed.

You sure can...pace yourself and remember that your goal is distance...not speed.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Yes, you can do it, just make sure you stay hydrated.... and it's helpful to keep some plain water with you in case you get too hot to splash on yourself to help cool off.

If you can plan the route with a rest stop (either a loop ending at your house you can repeat, or a longer route with a convenience store, etc) that's even better so you can make a potty break and refill bottles as needed. I have a 5.1 mile route from my house I repeat 2-3 times pretty regularly for 10 or 15 miles. It only has a 62' change in elevation with most of that as a gradual climb at the beginning, so for around here that's about as "flat" as it gets and it's the easiest one to do if I am going for distance. I haven't yet repeated it 4 times, but perhaps I'll go for it this weekend.

You're not crazy to try it.... I read on some website recently that anyone in fair shape can easily ride 20 miles.. the trick is though, if your rear isn't used to that amount of saddle time, or you have issues with bike fit, that is what will be problematic - it's not so much a question of endurance, but comfort.

Oh dear, I didn't even *think* of needing a potty break. *Duh* I could probably get by without one, but would hate to need one. A lot of my route will be along a greenbelt near parks, so they will be available, but I'll need to bring my lock so I can lock up my bike when I go in (something I wouldn't have otherwise done). I know there will be plenty of convenience stores along other parts of the route, too.

I'm purposely *not* doing a loop because I'm the type that would get near my house and say "yeah, that couch and fridge sound way too good". The big reason why cycling is working for me and the gym never did is that I'm forced to finish.

Comfort may be an issue...my bike isn't right and I need to do something about it (really need a new one, but hoping there are some things I can do to make my existing one better for the short term). Saddle isn't too bad, but my neck & shoulders do get sore. Well, we'll see, it *is* possible to shorten the route if I need to.

Just go for it and have fun!

And come back to report about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTexasMom View Post
    Comfort may be an issue...my bike isn't right and I need to do something about it (really need a new one, but hoping there are some things I can do to make my existing one better for the short term).
    Pain/discomfort are unnecessary. If the equipment isn't well suited, gauge your goal/expectation accordingly.

+1 to what Mr. Silver said. I certainly do think you could do an extra 10 miles - but, if you already know your bike is causing you some pain &/or discomfort, maybe get that checked out first.

If your neck and shoulders are getting sore, there's a number of things that could be causing it, and it might be useful to get a good bike fitter to help you figure out if you can tweak your current bike to be more comfortable.

FWIW, I made a couple changes that helped my neck/shoulder pain a little: I made sure my saddle was level (if it's angled down, you tend to put more stress on your upper body to keep from sliding forward), and I got rid of the visor on my helmet (with the visor, I had to tilt my head further up to see down the road; without it I can keep my head in a more neutral position and just move my eyes). I don't know if either of these are a factor for you; it may be that you would need to actually replace parts on your bike to make the geometry work better for your body.

Either way, congrats on getting back into riding, and have fun as you keep pushing your distance farther!

What they said! Endurance wise it's not an issue. See what you can do about the potential pain

Yeah I'm having 2nd thoughts. I really really really want to go, and I'm not sure I'm going to have another chance for a while (mornings are limited, early evening is too hot/out of the question, later evening I just don't feel safe alone, and I'll be going out of town soon). But I just went for a short 2 mile (albeit sloooooow) ride with my 8-year-old and my neck is really feeling it.

My saddle is level, I do have a visor on my helmet I could remove. I did talk to the bike shop once and now that I've learned a little more, I'm not entirely happy with the recommendations he gave me. Or rather, that he didn't give me more. He recommended adding a riser to the post, and possibly some handlebars similar to what's found on a hybrid bike. He didn't mention anything about moustache bars or butterfly bars (I'm thinking I *might* like butterfly bars for this bike). So I may try another place. I do know that any bars that give me significant changes are going to require new cables...which is more $$$ I'm dumping on what's essentially a crappy bike. I could almost just go buy a new (albeit also crappy) hybrid from Target (I know, I know, but this is a Sam's club bike) for not much more (considering I also need new tires...*badly*...and a full tuneup).

The problem is I really don't have money for a new *good* bike right now. And I certainly don't want to settle for something I won't ultimately be happy with, at least for a few years. So I'm trying to figure out how to tolerate this one until I do. I don't mind putting some money into it, but I hate to sink too much into it.

I have been watching craigslist, but don't feel that I know enough about bikes for that to be a good option for me. Plus I still have (want) to ride while I'm still in the shopping/looking process.

*sigh* why do I have to have such expensive interests? (the reason I don't have money for a bike is that I just bought a digital SLR camera...I got a great deal, but still, not a small chunk of change!)
    Last edited by HappyTexasMom; 07-08-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar errors

In some parks, I take my bike into the restroom. If it were crowded, I wouldn't, but so far I haven't had any problems.

When I was building up mileage, I felt more secure when I took plenty of snacks. I think this is more psychological than nutritional, but it works for me.

Good luck -- sounds to me like you can do this. I agree plenty of breaks will help. It really is thrilling to increase your mileage.

Pam

I am in the same place in riding as you. So far, I have only squeezed in about 10-12 mile rides a couple times a week. So one day, I did a 22 mile ride (with hills). The only thing, is that I did not carry any food. That was my mistake. It took me several hours and I was very tired at the end, especially because there is a very steep, one mile hill to my house. So now I know what bonked feels like.

I learned several things from this experience:

1. Yes, it is best to build a base of miles if you are a new rider. (and if you are overweight as I am.) (But, I still plan to do rides beyond my level from time to time.
    2. Carry snacks if the ride is over an hour.
    3. There is no shame in walking up a hill if necessary.
    4. There is no shame in riding slowly if that is what you have.

The best advise I have ever heard for new riders is to just ride and not worry too much about miles or hills. (within reason of course)

-Sue
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.

If you aren't sure that your bike is set up optimally for doubling your current distance, is there any reason you can try a 15 mile ride first? Do you need to jump up to 20 right away?

I would think that if your bike is potentially an issue, then you may want to ramp up more slowly, just to be sure. If it's too painful at 15, then you know that you'll have to invest a little $ before you try 20. Anything that hurts at 10 miles is only going to hurt much worse at 20.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Sue, I'm not terribly overweight (maybe 20-25 pounds), but I'm not yet in the greatest shape, either. Your comment about taking hours really made me take pause...it's supposed to get up to 111 on Saturday, so I really don't want to end up taking more than about 3 hours total (I currently do 10 miles in about an hour and I'm not working balls-out or anything, so I thought I was being reasonably conservative, but maybe not). If I start at 6 (which will be a miracle...probably closer to 6:30) that would put me finishing at 9-9:30. It will already be in the mid to upper 90s then, which is about my limit. When it gets to 100+, no matter how much water I drink or how much water I pour on myself, I tend to overheat and give out after not very much time (and then get a migraine later in the day...fun).

GLC the reason I wanted to do 20 was partly to see if I could do it, and partly because the route I want to take includes a beautiful section down a greenbelt...but it's in the latter (furthest away) portion of my loop. If I cut out my ride, I have to cut it all out of the pretty part. I don't find that much beautiful about the desert (I know some people do, I'm just not one of them), so I was really looking forward to that (and had already cut some out; it was originally closer to a 30 mile ride).

But I went 12 miles today (2 more than my usual) and while physically I felt good overall (not too tired, etc.), the neck pain got more persistent and burning. I can also feel it now after the fact, which hadn't happened in the past. So I'm calling off the 20 mile ride for now. I just posted to the bike maintenance thread about some modifications I want to try that I think (hope) will help. Unless/until I get that resolved, I won't try for the longer distance. *sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by HappyTexasMom View Post
    But I went 12 miles today (2 more than my usual) and while physically I felt good overall (not too tired, etc.), the neck pain got more persistent and burning.
    While training for the 160mile Ride Across Indiana last July, Silver advised me to not increase my riding by more than 10%/week. So, one week, I'd do 100 miles, then next 110 to 120, and so on. It worked for me.

As for the neck, my chiropractors and I are on a first name basis...