Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Block Island

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    After we packed up, we sat outside on the porch and watched the people. Oh my, we saw some cycling things that would make you cringe. And we also saw a woman renting a moped (when we were riding back from breakfast) who crashed through a fence when getting a lesson.
    Heh heh, waay back in my days on BI, mopeds were a big problem. I imagine they're a bit more regulated nowadays -- at least they're getting lessons now.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Jobob, did you go to Brandeis? Or Bently?
    That sounds like a lovely way for a grad student to spend a summer!
    And I know what you mean by the touch and goes... my first husband was a pilot and i spent endless hours in planes with him, doing that. Of course now, I would never even get in one of those planes!
    It did appear that the mopeds were fairly well regulated; I even saw a policeman stop someone and make him put his helmet on. But, I did notice this phenomena where the men (both on mopeds and bikes) did not wear helmets, but the women did. Like wearing a helmet is just not macho. I was definitely in my old lady former school teacher mode when I told a teenaged boy I had seen riding around all morning with his helmet on, but not buckled, to buckle it!

Brandeis.

I didn't wear a helmet back then, either. I was just cruising around the island on a bicycle and I didn't know any better. It took me the good part of a day to get around it and I wasn't at all inclined to exert myself so I couldn't have been going very fast.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Crankin, you bring back fond memories for me also. Your weekend sounds like fun.

20+ years ago, when I lived in Massachusetts (Plainville and Arlington), the guy I was going out with and I would take day trips to Block Island. I don't recall that we rode bikes, but somehow we got out to the bluffs. I've often thought about driving up with my bike and spending a weekend there now to see if it's as beautiful as I remember.