Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Sorry I haven't come back on sooner. For some reason, I wasn't getting post reply emails on this thread. Ugh...

My fellow cycling community and I are all still very shaken up by this tragedy. For me, I wish alcohol related fatalities could be tried as murder. Manslaughter just implies "accident" and this was no accident. She decided to get loaded and get behind the wheel (again). She can risk her own life by drinking and taking drugs (there is talk she abuses xanax as well - I don't know how true all that is)...but when she gets behind the wheel, she puts innocent lives at risk. NO ONE has the right to remove someone else's safety. Its no accident when you impair yourself and then kill someone while driving. Its a consequence. She might as well have pulled a gun and shot our friends.

Christa's funeral was this morning. Matt's is on Tuesday in Arkansas (where his family lives). I found out that Matt had worked at the company where I do. He was laid off a few months ago due to the Oil and Gas market downturn (along with the rest of the economy). Even more sadness to the story, you know? I proably saw him many times in the lobby but just didn't recognize him without his team kit and helmet on. Christa was a luminous lady...always smiling and lifting others up. I should strive to be more like her..

Sad sad sad. I cannot bring myself to go ride...esp not alone as I usually do. At some point, I need to bolster my emotions and just ride. I just can't bring myself to do it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChristaMatt.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	9407  
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

P.S. Bourland was allowed to BOND OUT for only 100,000! This was at least her 2nd DUI offense and she's caused two fatalities this time! I don't understand why our legal system runs the way it does. She's a repeat offender and now a (excuse me) murderer. She's free on bail..and Christa n Matt are gone. Not right...

John (the survivor) is recovering best that he can. He did not have to have surgery has was originally told to a lot of us. He had about 62 stiches in his back and was released to go home. He's married and has 2 children.. Neither Matt nor Christa was married or had children, but both had significant others who are now left devastated like John. I know John best of the three, but I haven't wanted to ask him about all this out of respect. People closer to him have said he is completely grief stricken at the loss of his two friends/teammates. He doesn't remember all of what happened. That has to be a good thing.
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C