Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went to a new bike shop this evening and tried two women-specific road bikes. Big difference in mounting/dismounting--on the ones designed for women, it was much easier than on this one. I was finally the right distance from the ground, while still being the right distance from the pedals! And that's something that I don't thing there's any way to fix on the bike in question. So this evening I returned the Raleigh.

I'm back to my original plan of waiting a few months, saving up some more money, and buying a new (i.e. not used) road bike then. I'm far from bikeless til then, just no road bike. And I'll keep browsing used bikes in the mean time and see if any others jump out at me. I'm still not sure whether I like aluminum or steel better, but I'm almost certain I want a women-specific design.

Thanks again for everyone who commented and helped me with this! It really made a difference.

I'm glad the test riding helped you out!

Watch your local craigslist, sometimes good deals on used bikes come up.

Me too! :-)

I was checking Craigslist this afternoon, in fact. There's nothing on there right now that I'm interested in, but I'll keep an eye on it off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post

Watch your local craigslist, sometimes good deals on used bikes come up.
    Definitely keep an eye on craigslist! I got my road bike on there which is mostly Ultegra with a few 105 components thrown in for $600. The bike new would have been around $1700-$1800 and way out of my price range!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker