Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

VFF's in triathlon?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am going to be doing a sprint triathlon in July that includes a 3.1 mile run. If I continue to feel as good as I have running in the VFFs I would like to use them in the tri. Has anyone done this? I don't think I will be ready to run totally barefoot by then. The main issue will be getting the little buggers on quickly. It is still a little quirky getting all the toes into their right little spaces. Any helpful hints?

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    I am going to be doing a sprint triathlon in July that includes a 3.1 mile run. If I continue to feel as good as I have running in the VFFs I would like to use them in the tri. Has anyone done this? I don't think I will be ready to run totally barefoot by then. The main issue will be getting the little buggers on quickly. It is still a little quirky getting all the toes into their right little spaces. Any helpful hints?
    I've been wondering about this, too, but don't have anything to offer. Do you bike without socks?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    If you think about it, does it really take any longer to put on VFFs than it does to put on running shoes and tie shoelaces? For me at least there doesn't seem to be much difference at all.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    If you think about it, does it really take any longer to put on VFFs than it does to put on running shoes and tie shoelaces? For me at least there doesn't seem to be much difference at all.
    I have been using elastic Yanks on my running shoes, so I just pull them on. I sometimes don't get my toes lined up just right and have to do some readjusting with the VFFs. In the long run, at my level, it probably will not make a lot of difference. Although, in my first race this year I missed first place in my age group (60-64) by just 6 seconds!

MDHillSlug: I have never biked without socks...I think it is quicker to put on my low-cut smart wools than to try to jam my wet feet into my cycling shoes...but maybe not.

I have been using elastic Yanks on my running shoes, so I just pull them on. I sometimes don't get my toes lined up just right and have to do some readjusting with the VFFs. In the long run, at my level, it probably will not make a lot of difference. Although, in my first race this year I missed first place in my age group (60-64) by just 6 seconds!

MDHillSlug: I have never biked without socks...I think it is quicker to put on my low-cut smart wools than to try to jam my wet feet into my cycling shoes...but maybe not.
    I bike and run in socks, too. I was just thinking about having to put on the socks for the bike and then take them back off to put on the VFFs.

I've been wearing my VFFs around the house (an a few times outside) but haven't tried running in them yet. I'm thinking of trying them on the HS track the first time. Probably before I get to that I want to stop using the custom orthotics in my running shoes.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I received my VFF KSOs ... last Friday. I thought they were too small. My pinkie toe wasn't happy being separated from my other toes. I have been wearing them every other day, and the last time I wore them (Monday), I consciously relaxed my feet, and... wha la, they fit My pinkie toe didn't have a problem. I was able to run and jump and play in them... it was fun. The next day I noticed the muscles in my lower calves were a bit sore - probably because I have been running in big wedge running shoes forever... but I'm taking it slowly and it's going well. The dogs have fun chasing me around grassy fields for now too...

Quote Originally Posted by ginny View Post
    I received my VFF KSOs ... last Friday. I thought they were too small. My pinkie toe wasn't happy being separated from my other toes. I have been wearing them every other day, and the last time I wore them (Monday), I consciously relaxed my feet, and... wha la, they fit My pinkie toe didn't have a problem. I was able to run and jump and play in them... it was fun. The next day I noticed the muscles in my lower calves were a bit sore - probably because I have been running in big wedge running shoes forever... but I'm taking it slowly and it's going well. The dogs have fun chasing me around grassy fields for now too...
    Cool! As for the sore calf muscles, that's totally normal. I can remember my calves hurting for the first week of running in the VFFs. Do make sure you're not pushing off too much from your toes--that overworks the calf muscles and could lead to Achilles issues. Your propulsion should come mainly from your hip muscles with some contribution from the "elastic recoil" of the feet/calves (this is what I'm learning from Evolution Running, which I just started using this week and I'm liking it a lot so far).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Cool! As for the sore calf muscles, that's totally normal. I can remember my calves hurting for the first week of running in the VFFs. Do make sure you're not pushing off too much from your toes--that overworks the calf muscles and could lead to Achilles issues. Your propulsion should come mainly from your hip muscles with some contribution from the "elastic recoil" of the feet/calves (this is what I'm learning from Evolution Running, which I just started using this week and I'm liking it a lot so far).
    What is Evolution Running?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    What is Evolution Running?
    It's a DVD that teaches efficient running technique, in a similar vein with Pose and Chi Running. The basic premise is that the reason the African runners are so good is because they are efficient due to having grown up running barefoot, and that we can use the same techniques to improve efficiency and reduce injuries. The proper form is broken down into all its components, with excellent demonstrations and drills to reinforce each. They don't suggest running barefoot but I think they should . I decided to go with this over Pose or Chi Running because it seemed more straightforward than these others and it draws its technique pointers from a known group of efficient runners, who got that way by running barefoot, which is how our bodies are designed to function.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Unhappy Forefoot pain

I'm bummed. I was feeling really good with my initial 3-4 runs with VFFs. I did a 2-mile trail run about 10 days ago that felt really good while I was doing it, but ever since then I have had some pain across the top of my foot when walking or running barefoot. I rested for a week without doing any runs and tried again 2 days ago. I still had some pain, but not enough that I felt I had to stop. It's still sore today, but better while waering shoes. I'm wondering if I should try running in shoes for awhile, or maybe try taping my foot to give it a little support. Poo...I can't seem to get to a period longer than a few weeks of runnig without some sort of injury

just FYI everyone, I found those evolution videos on line: http://www.5min.com/Video/An-Introdu...ing-4-29683892 (that's for the 4th clip...) anyway, I haven't watched them all yet; I do not know if they are all there, but it at least gives a good idea of whether you want to spring for the DVD or not...
    G

Quote Originally Posted by ginny View Post
    just FYI everyone, I found those evolution videos on line: http://www.5min.com/Video/An-Introdu...ing-4-29683892 (that's for the 4th clip...) anyway, I haven't watched them all yet; I do not know if they are all there, but it at least gives a good idea of whether you want to spring for the DVD or not...
    G
    I just watched the 5 videos. Looks interesting. How easy is it to take what you see/learn in the DVD and apply it to your running?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

For anyone interested in barefoot running, there is a wonderfully supportive and informative barefoot runners forum on runnersworld.com which has been invaluable to me as a newly converted barefoot/minimalist runner. I encourage you to check it out: Barefoot Running Forum

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    For anyone interested in barefoot running, there is a wonderfully supportive and informative barefoot runners forum on runnersworld.com which has been invaluable to me as a newly converted barefoot/minimalist runner. I encourage you to check it out: Barefoot Running Forum
    Thanks for the link! It helped answer many of my questions/concerns. I think I tried to do too much as a new runner and new barefoot/VFF runner at the start. I have had to back off and let some tendons and ligaments in my feet heal up and get used to what I am asking them to do. I have been having some pain that I didn't experience until after doing 3-4 runs in the Vffs. I am now doing some of my runs in my supportive shoes and shorter runs in the VFFs. I have only done a couple of short runs on grass and on the beach totally barefoot. I do remember the ease and joy I felt when I first ran unshod, though, and will get back there. I just need to go a little more slowly...

I have really noticed it low in my calves - I guess from not having my heels elevated running in the VFF's. I have been taking it really slowly, but it's fun! I feel like bigfoot when i see my 'feet prints' on the dirt trails. I would love to hear other runners when they see the feet prints