Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What do you do when your tummy goes south??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Today I had the misfortune to wake up to that urgent need to use the loo. Soon my stomach had completely gone south, and I didn't know which end was up- if ya know what I mean.
    As I lay in bed hallucinating I was thinking that if I were in the UK my friend clockwork orange would prolly give me tea.
    I was trying to figure out what I should be eating or drinking besides the standard gatorade (blecch) and crackers.
    I was getting pretty dehydrated and I knew I needed something. But what? I don't keep gatorade on hand, so I stooped to slowly eating an old crusty popsicle I found in the freezer.
    So what do you do for a bad tummy. I HATE vomitting. And I hate the feeling that comes with it even more.
    Anyone have a magic elixir out there??

It just needs to run its course. Keep hydrated
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Gingerale. I hope you feel better soon.

I second the ginger ale. We don't drink soda regularly, but I have about 1/2 a 6 pack of traditional ginger beer (more gingery than say a schweps) in the pantry from the last time the hubby was sick. Ginger ale and saltines are about all he can keep down when he's feeling bad.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

ginger ale and banana popsicles.... that's what my mom gave me...

i am also a fan of plain pasta... cold preferably
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles.” -Tom Kunich

Stay hydrated, and eat whatever appeals to you (if anything does). My mother always said "Eat what you have a taste for" when sick, and I've found that good advice.

Generally stomach things get better on their own schedule. Outside of making sure you don't get dehydrated, I don't think it much matters what you do.

Pam

Sprite or Gingerale. Pepto sometimes works (sometimes it comes back up). Feel better - that sucks
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I had a similar problem on Tuesday... ginger tea. It worked wonders. I think that's where the ginger ale theory came from, because the ginger part really stopped my stomach from going way into over time. I didn't vomit, but I was so nauseous and had the other end (sorry) so bad that I actually dropped my hair blower into the sink and still barely made it the 2 steps to the toilet.
    So, get to a health food store and find the tea!
    Other than that, crackers (the worst white flour ones you can find) and applesauce.

Make sure you don't have a fever. If you have a fever and even a slight respiratory symptom, go to the doctor and get some Tamiflu.

Hope you feel better by now!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

mountain dew always calms my stomach down... but that does have caffeine that might dehydrate you.

a chicken rice soup with a lot of ginger in it helps as well... if my Mom's around to make it for me

Peppermint tea or ginger ale/beer, and saltines or dry toast, and next day, tomato soup or chicken noodle soup.

I sure hope you're feeling better by now.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Not much advice, because I can count on one hand the number of times I've puked in my adult life. But my kids always were put on the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, apples and toast. Plus clear liquids.

I hope you feel better.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Tomato juice. The high sodium and the texture works for me, but not for everyone.

blech

Hey Rm, sorry to hear your tummy is not happy

I don't know if it's available at pharmacies near you but try Gastrolite. It works for me when my tummy goes haywire & end up dehydrated.

Take care

Just spent a week with flu.
    I sympathize.
    I advise, soda water, glucose syrup( for nausea, get at chemist)
    also fresh ginger made into tea or any ginger at all.
    Im still nauseaous.
    Conquering illness, one step at time.