Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

first road bike - shopping question (try before buy)

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been shopping for my *first* road bike (been mountain biking it, but with my new 1.30 hr commute each way, time to make the next step), and while I looked at Cannondales, Treks, Litespeed, and others, I really cannot resist the Bianchi Dama She (alu carbon/ultegra mix triple)

However, the bike store that carries this line does not have it in my size, as I'm 5'0 (we tried others and I was struggling), and they will have to order it. Does this mean I cannot test it (and say no) before I buy it? So many people here emphasized making sure it is the proper fit. Also, if it's not, what could I "customize" to make it so?

I'm new at anything road bike, so any recommendations or advice welcome!

That is something you'll have to ask the bike shop. Some will order it and understand that it may not be the right fit. Others will insist that you have to purchase another bike from their store since you did make them order a bike for you.

This is something to work out with the bike shop. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the arrangement.

When I was buying my first bike, one shop wanted to charge a nonrefundable fee (can't remember how much but it was something like $100) for ordering a bike my size for me to try. And we were talking a pretty common bike in a pretty common size. They would apply the fee to the purchase price if I purchased it but wouldn't even credit it to the purchase price of a different bike at their shop. Another branch of the same store offered to just get it for me to try.

Fortunately, I found a shop that 1) had a different policy and 2) had the size in stock so it was a non-issue. This was the shop I preferred to have as "my" bike shop, so it worked out for the best. I purchased both that bike and my next bike from them as well.

I hope you ladies who have multiple bike shops to choose from know how lucky you are.

Does your LBS have a bike fitting machine that they can set up for you? One of our LBS has this "bike" that they can change to whatever the geometry you need based on the spec of the bike you're looking into. DH bought a Linksey from them because they were able to pull all the data off the web, set the geometry of this bike for DH to try out before ordering. Sorry. I know there's a technical term for this "bike". Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about?

thanks everyone for the advice! didn't know if there was a standard policy, and definitely didn't know I was lucky to have quite a few bike shops within biking distance.

I'll ask my LBS about their policy and if they have a bike fitting device buddha_bellies mentioned.

Ahh it's getting so close to reality (of owning a road bike and not just testing out random ones)... I'm so excited!

Aeiea,

You might want to check and see if there is a demo happening near you at which you can take some bikes for an extended test ride.

Our West Coast chick is floating around SoCal right now. You can check Tori's schedule here:

http://trekwomendemo.com/region.php?region_id=7&type=8

We update our schedules as we add new events, so check back!

Specialized also has a women's demo program, and their schedule can be found here:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...me=d4wDemoWest

Thanks! I'll actually be in San Diego during one of the demos so I hope to check it out! Had no idea these events (demos) existed

Quote Originally Posted by TrekWSDmechanic View Post
    Aeiea,

You might want to check and see if there is a demo happening near you at which you can take some bikes for an extended test ride.

Our West Coast chick is floating around SoCal right now. You can check Tori's schedule here:

http://trekwomendemo.com/region.php?region_id=7&type=8

We update our schedules as we add new events, so check back!

Specialized also has a women's demo program, and their schedule can be found here:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...me=d4wDemoWest