Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Good advice.
    The way to get better at anything is to do more of it... in this case climb more and often.
    Gradually you will get to the top a little more quickly.
    One day you'll find you can ride it in a bigger gear.

And what Sundial describes is exactly how I get to the top of two of the gnarliest climbs I do... Seafield is about 14% at the top... Burma is about the same but for longer.

Just focus on the road in front, your breathing and your rythym

Eeyore said: "Rivers know this. We will get there in the end."
    Thats how to face a hill.

And like others, I love the quote from the article too: Never attack a mountain, instead, let the climb come to you.
    Thanks for the link
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 04-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    Good advice.
    Eeyore said: "Rivers know this. We will get there in the end."
    Thats how to face a hill.
    Great quote! My favourite hills always used to be the long winding roads where you could only ever see a couple of hundred metres ahead of you. Nothing worse than looking up at miles of hill ahead of you. Currently my favourite hills are the easy ones but I'm working on that . Given a reasonable state of fitness and the right gears, hill rides are heaps more interesting and enjoyable than boring old flats, IMO, and the more you ride, the better it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by hilldweller View Post
    My favourite hills always used to be the long winding roads where you could only ever see a couple of hundred metres ahead of you. Nothing worse than looking up at miles of hill ahead of you.
    ..... nothing worse, except being sure that the top of the hill is around the next bend... you can see the sky through the trees... but you get around the bend and it keeps going UP! and UP!

THAT's the worst.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler