Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My First Half Century

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well we did it, daughter and I, our first half century! The ride was in our neck of the woods so we knew the roads, and how to avoid the most nasty hill. (We called DH and my trusty VW van!) The first half of the ride was hilly and we did some hills I thought I would never be able to climb, but I did. We started the ride in a light drizzle, that became a sprinkle, that turn to full blown rain that was cold and very wet! So the first hour and a half was interesting. At the second rest stop lots of riders turned to go back. But I was determined to continue. We did and after another hour of hit and miss rain the clouds broke up some and it was sunshine and steaming pavement. It even warmed up enough to shed the layers down to my jersey. I personally really enjoyed the day, even riding in the rain. It was a most inspiring sight at the beginning of the ride to see more than 100 riders strung out along the first long uphill.
    While we did the best we could, I am disapointed that we were among the last riders to come in and if we had done the course with out the help of our personal SAG we most likely would have been last. I know I'm slooow on the hills but I really try to push on the flats. I watched our time at the rest stops and in general did my best. The rain messed with my wireless computer so I don't have a true gauge of the time, distance and average MPH. I know it's a ride not a race, I just didn't think we would be that slow!

Congratulations Bikerhen!!!

I did my first metric ride of 62 miles last month. You ride sounded just like mine, drizzle, rain, first stop other cyclists started heading back, but not us, the sun showed itself, however, at the last 15 miles, the rain came back. We also had unexpected hills, like at least 40 miles of them.

Anyway, here is to the next organized to be in better weather. Consider you and your daughter troopers!!! Good for you both!!!

~JoAnn

bikerHen,

Don't ever forget: you were among the riders that finished the ride. You will never know many of the wet weather wimps that quit would have finished after you, so you can say that they would have been behind you. (Ignorance is a powerful tool - sometimes)

And, hey, you got up the hills, even having a plan for a particularly nasty one. Good thinking.

Ya done good, don't tell yourself otherwise.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I totally agree with MomOnBike... YOU finished.. a whole bunc of other people did not... good for you and congrats! What a great accomplishment...

and isn't it a GREAT feeling when you make it up a hill that you didn't think you could climb? When I climb anything that scares me I chant the phrase from Lance's book... "pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever"... you and your daughter proved you're no quitters!!! Congrats...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Thumbs up Awesome!

Congratulations! Finishing a ride of any length is an accomplishment and one that should be applauded. I think it is terrific that you and your daughter stuck it out and finished.

You know you're a biker/roadie if .... You finish a ride rain or shine
    On Yer Bike!

You finished - without injury, without mishap and without help
    You finished and that has to be everybodys first goal
    wayto go

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Wooohoooo way to go henny-penny! The sky was falling but you stuck it out anyway! You ROCK!!!........so you finished towards the back - the back of what??...the few other people that stuck it out??....percentage-wise I'm betting you were a lot higher up there than you think were!!! Good job!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"