Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    ah ha! that is my overall problem - I never thought about it before.
    I do have asthma and am trying a new inhaler that will hopefully help and may get a new preventative. But some of my lung problems may have came from the fact that I almost died of pneumonia when I was only 2 weeks old - who knows what damage was done to those tiny little lungs.

As I am gasping going up hills and the others are merrily chatting along - I just gasp out "Just you all wait until I can breathe again! ! ! "

But I must say, if I keep my weight down, strengthen my legs, and ride tons of hills I do see a lot of improvement.
    Wow, that is a total description of me!
    Even after riding 3500 hilly miles in 2007, I was still the only one gasping and breathing hard up hills while even people totally out of shape would be chatting and cruising up the hill! (But on the downhills I drop them like flies, and I can ride much longer distances than they can.) And yes I do improve with more walking and biking....but always lagging way behind others when it doesn't seem logical.
    It's fascinating to me your story because when I was 6 months old I too almost died of pneumonia- in fact the doctors had already told my parents that they didn't expect me to live...it was that close. Now hearing your story I wonder about the longterm lung damage that may have caused. Pneumonia causes permanent scarring in the lungs, and scarred lung tissue just doesn't work as efficiently. Hmmmm....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have very mild asthma and allergies and have found especially in the spring that I feel like I am breathing through a straw and it is only when going up hill. An inhaler helps.

Thumbs up thanks!

I had an asthma attack yesterday after completing a long climb. It was only the second one I've ever had, the first one was almost three years ago (SadieKate and aka_kim got to witness that spectacle back then). Happily, this one was nowhere near as bad, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to die this time but I still had that horrible feeling of my throat closing up for a few minutes.

Anyhow, I poked around w the search function and came across this thread. There's some good info in here, many thanks! It's making me realize that I do routinely get out of breath on long climbs or other long, strenuous activities. I didn't think too much of it, just assumed I was out of shape, but perhaps there's else something to it.

As luck would have it I'm going in for a physical exam this coming week. I'll be discussing this w my Dr.

Thanks again!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl