Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need to get my rear in gear--last run was Wednesday! Yesterday I was a total bum b/c I had cramps and felt yucky, and today I swam since this was the day the swimming group at the Y was getting together. Tomorrow definitely needs to be a running day.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I didn't get to run today after all. I got a call that my contacts were in at the eye care center, and I realized I had no other chance to get a Valentine and some dark chocolate for DH (he is one man who LOVES chocolate!), so I ended up running errands at lunchtime instead of going to the gym, and by the time I left work for the day, I was just too tired to run. I will try to run tomorrow, if it's not too chilly outside.

Hang in there, Crankin. Running is HARD. I started about a year ago, and it's easier now, but it's still more difficult than cycling. Always will be, I think. Still, it does get (slightly) better, and I'm not terribly consistent. I am sure I could run a little faster and longer if I were more consistent in my runs. I'm lucky to get in 2x a week on a good week. The nice thing about running, though, is that you can get a great workout in as little as 30 minutes, if that's all the time (or energy!) you have, as it sometimes is for me.

Have good weekends, all!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks, Emily. Another thing we agree on .

Thanks so much for all of the luck!

I can't wait to hear about Yellow's trail run!!!

So last year, I ran this 10K in 1:09:50 (as my first 10K), and this year I finished in 55:45. I was really really happy with it. I had forgotten how very hilly this race is too. It is always up or down. I think I could go even faster on a flat race My best 10K time before this was in a downhill point to point race in the fall at 56:51.

It actually didn't rain on me! It was in the 50's and misty, but no rain! I had been worried all day yesterday, because I hate running in the rain too!

I hope everyone has great weather for running this weekend!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Great Job Kacie!! Way to go.

Today I went for a 4 mile run. I had to convince myself to go as it was cool out, low 20s and grey. Once I started I was happy to be out. I only saw one other person out walking. The first half of my run was good, but as usual my hamstrings started to tighten up on me for the last half. I have been stretching them but they still like to tighten up. Oh well, hope everyone is having a great day.

Way to go Kacie!

Tempo run for me today. I woke up really early and couldn't get back to sleep, so even though I'd totally abused my body last night I decided to go ahead and enter a local 5K for motivation. Two and a half miles from my house, on the beach, so almost the run I would've done regardless, and if I didn't run early I'd have had to wait out the tide. As long as I was awake anyhow I couldn't figure out a good reason not to ride my commuter bike up the street and pay my money to benefit the Boy Scouts.

27:47, which really wasn't that bad considering last night's chicken (which I never eat, but at least it was organic), dairy (which I shouldn't eat, but do if I'm not staying clean for an event), three glasses of wine (hey, we were doing Valentine's Day early rather than try and brave the restaurant crowds tonight ), dessert (ditto), and four hours of sleep. Plus the sand and the humidity. Good enough for third in age group - there's a race almost every week within about a 15 mile radius, so it really thins out the competition around here. It was a fun event and I hung out with a few people I know after the race, so I was glad I came out for it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

AWESOME JOB KACIE ! ! !

that is a lot of time to drop!

Congrats on your run too Oak. Just getting out and doing it was feat enough.

I am trying to gear up to go today - I ended up going to a concert last night, got home late, didn't eat well, had a few beers Well hey it was Friday night.

I have some errands to do then we shall see what this old body is saying.

I will try to get out and do something even if it is "program"

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Wow! Nice job Kacie and Oak! Fast times for both of you. I ran with the ladies this morning. We started from my house at 6:15 AM and we met some other runners at 0700 and then back to my house so I managed to get in 12 miles of a lot of hills. Oh boy do I feel it! But had a decent run and I was back home and making pancakes by 0830. I had promised to babysit my little 19 month old grandson at 1100 so I needed to get an early start. I just snuggled him to sleep for a nap. What could be better! Hoping for a nice easy run tomorrow. The temps were in the 20's with a little snow.
    Anita "Shiraz"

OK, I ran outside today. I went with the idea of taking a walk, against my better judgement of running 2 days in a row. Of course, I was dressed for walking and was immediately zipped down. It was really just a question of my jacket being too heavy.

So, the route is 3.2 miles, starting on the big hill I live on, which is a #9 shape. I walked the first 4 minutes, to avoid running downhill and to warm up. I felt pretty good, only stopping to walk over a few icy spots on the part that has a sidewalk on a main road. When I turned onto the street that leads to my street, I slowed way down and then walked for about 2 minutes. It's a slight uphill here, lots of potholes and cars were coming in both directions. Then I saw a couple walking in front of me, so I sped up, ran and passed them until I got to the 10% grade part of my street. I walked up the hill and then ran down the next part, then up the next little hill, where I was dying, to my driveway. That is a 15% grade, so I walked up, as a cool down.
    I had a watch on, since my Garmin still isn't here. I knew I was slower than on the treadmill, but I think my total time was 36 minutes, including the 4 minute walking warm up. Not bad, but I will be happy when I can push myself more by knowing the speed, as I do in the gym.
    Whatever I did to my back in yoga is still hurting and is now in my hamstring. This is not from running or riding. However, my groin feels a little off, so I used my yoga for cyclists dvd stretching section when I got back and then hurt myself with the roller for about 10 minutes.
    Tomorrow i am going either snow shoeing or x country skiing at that very challenging place I went to last weekend.

Great job Kacie!

My training schedule was an 8 miler today. I woke up with some GI distress (sorry TMI) but finally got to the path at 1:00. My hip was hurting and I was unable to make the 8 miles but I pushed on for about 6 and was proud of myself for even going.

I better think about seeing the doctor before I pay that half marathon entry. My hip is hurting and my left knee keeps swelling. I think it might just be getting back to running but I really need to be sure because I cannot afford to flush an $85 entry if I actually have an injury. I am doing stretching and taking rest days.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Well, I did get out for a run today. 20 minutes outside on grass and pavement in the VFFs; toes were cold as it was right around freezing! The heavier duty ones I ordered are taking FOREVER to get here, which is annoying given that it's cold again. The regular ones just don't cut it in these temperatures...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

We went up up up the hill today, it was strenuous and we walked some - and then around the top of the hill, and there was snow, which is harder to run on, and it was a bit chilly.
    Ran about an hour, walked maybe 15 mins.

Back home I dropped into bed for about an hour and a half - the cold takes much more out of you than you'd think.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Yesterday's programed run was supposed to be warm up, 2 miles of interval's cool down to add up to 5 miles - sooooo not happening
    Log note to self - off day DOES not mean drink beer, party, stay up late day.

Reality run: walked .5 miles, stretched out problem calf muscles, slow ran 1 mile on treadmill, did 1 mile of 1 minute intervals, slow ran or fast walked recovery minute. slow ran/walked last mile. Total w/ walking was about 3.75 miles

My legs are shot. I need to take an easy week and let them recover, I think it will help in the long run. I have evening work commitments on my run days this week so it throws all the recovery days off. I may just walk tomorrow and try the long run on Wednesday.

I really have to take into consideration I don't have a running base from another time in my life (I ran my first non-stop mile when I was 46) and no matter what I choose to think, at 52, I take longer to recover.
    That is my excuse anyway.

I need all the support I can get from all of you! yesterday I was ready to throw in the towel and say "I am not a runner, just accept the fact and concentrate on swimming and cycling."

hmmmmm I just thought of something - Alpine isn't that what I heard you say and now you got out and did a hill run - you are my hero!

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Yeah I think that's something I might have said. Or something about stopping running altogether, I can't really remember

Well, as long as I am nice to my quads and so, and massage, they seem to oblige. I'm still slow as a snail, DBF had to wait up all the time.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    Yesterday's programed run was supposed to be warm up, 2 miles of interval's cool down to add up to 5 miles - sooooo not happening
    Log note to self - off day DOES not mean drink beer, party, stay up late day.

Reality run: walked .5 miles, stretched out problem calf muscles, slow ran 1 mile on treadmill, did 1 mile of 1 minute intervals, slow ran or fast walked recovery minute. slow ran/walked last mile. Total w/ walking was about 3.75 miles

My legs are shot. I need to take an easy week and let them recover, I think it will help in the long run. I have evening work commitments on my run days this week so it throws all the recovery days off. I may just walk tomorrow and try the long run on Wednesday.

I really have to take into consideration I don't have a running base from another time in my life (I ran my first non-stop mile when I was 46) and no matter what I choose to think, at 52, I take longer to recover.
    That is my excuse anyway.

I need all the support I can get from all of you! yesterday I was ready to throw in the towel and say "I am not a runner, just accept the fact and concentrate on swimming and cycling."

hmmmmm I just thought of something - Alpine isn't that what I heard you say and now you got out and did a hill run - you are my hero!
    I find the recovery the hardest part. I am 47 and it just takes longer than it used to. The two girls I train with are 10 and 15 years yonger. They can still do back to back hard days. Not me.

I try to focus on really doing quality work on my hard days, going very easy on my easy days and taking 1 or 2 rest days a week. It does me no good at all to go into a scheduled hard day with a lot of fatigue built up.

I also ice when I get home and have a recovery drink after every workout.

You can do it!!!! Just not as often as the kids!!!!!

Ruth