Sorry to be so slow reporting back! Getting ready for a month long trip in one week was a whirlwind, of course, and then when we got back from the trip... I forgot all about this thread. Sorry!

The trip was wonderful!

The highlight for both of us was a 5 night mountain bike tour in the red centre with ROC cycles. Unforgettable! A wonderful adventure in the outback, stunning scenery, a great group to share the experience with... I don't have time right now, but I'll try to write up a trip summary later. Anyone who wants to a biking adventure in Australia-- they're a great outfit!

http://www.cycletours.com.au/

We toasted Obama's election in the outback -- around a camp fire on the banks of the Finke River bed, with our cycling companions -- I'll never forget that...

Sandra - if you're going to be in Sydney, do the tour of the opera house & try to get tickets to a performance there. We only had a 4 hour layover there, and the opera house tour was fascinating. It just made me long to go back & actually hear a live performance there. We did get to hear the Australian Chamber Orchestra in Melbourne, and it was a beautiful night.

We loved Melbourne completely! I'd be scheming to move there immediately, if it didn't mean leaving my family (my girlies!) behind.

We also loved meeting so many interesting people-- Australians, of course, and many Europeans as well. It was a fascinating time to be talking to people from so many parts of the world-- with the American election going on, and the economic chaos just unfolding-- very interesting to hear from other perspectives.

More later!