Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

You left out this one:
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

That's really a super domestique.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Yeah, remember how it felt when some grownup took your rubber rain boots off your frozen feet and started rubbing them hard to "get the circulation moving again" ?
    we were little, we didn't have good snow wear, but we sure wanted to go out and play!
    and then when all our clothes were wet, we couldn't go out anymore; and had to watch the OTHER kids playing in our snow fort.

Anyone else have parents put plastic bags around their feet underneath regular shoes when it snowed? I was one of six kids and snow boots weren't a big priority for my parents--I think they figured that if you didn't fit a pair of available boots now, you'd grow into a hand me down pair eventually! But I remember having maybe four pairs of boots for all six kids, so you'd stick your feet in plastic bread bags held up with rubber bands and then play in your sneakers. It didn't work very well, but it was better than nothing.

Years later, when bike touring, I tried the same technique to keep my feet dry in the rain. It didn't work very well then either.

Sarah

We did that, too, Sarah. Our boots, if we had them, always had holes in them after the first few walks to school.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

We did that, too, Sarah. Our boots, if we had them, always had holes in them after the first few walks to school. The kind you pulled over your shoes and buckled, and then you had to pull your shoe all the way off and struggle the shoe out in the cloak closet so you could go in the classroom.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I have put plastic bags in my shoes for running, not for cycling. But I guess it would work.

I remember growing up with no winter hats, or elderly bobble winter hats that I wouldn't be caught dead in at school, a thin autumn jacket that I wore all winter, and yep, pastic bags in my shoes or folded newspaper to add to the soles. And I remember going to one skiing class and being so cold I could hardly move. My parents weren't really stingy or poor, just clueless about how to dress well in winter to actually do something outside, not just survive moving from door to door, and they were very big on non-consumerism, jumble sales and recycling everything. Which is fine when you're an adult and can make your own decisions about what you want to wear, a little harder for a 14 yr old in the 80's.

My son has the most functional winter clothing I can lay my hands on. And nothing expensive or high-fashion, but clothes that no-one will ever point out don't fit in.

Pardon the hijack, this sort of hit a nerve
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

This is not really my discussion since I live in California, after all, but thank you for making me feel a little less ridiculous about my kid's winter wardrobe, lph. I have a bunch of friends with babies the same age who are already planning all the indoor activities they'll need to keep their toddlers occupied all winter, while I am thinking, dude, this is Sacramento. Sometimes we have a rain and wind storm bad enough to keep us inside all day. Sometimes it freezes. Sometimes it's foggy and gross. But except in the worst of the windstorms, you can go outside. And I am not raising a hothouse flower here.

So she has itty bitty base layers, a fantastic fleece jacket from REI that allows her to move her arms and play, another Smartwool hat (we learned how great that was last year -- I could take her out in the pouring rain and the hat sheds water so well that only her face would get wet, which she LOVED), gloves and plenty of Smartwool socks. She hated being inside when it was hot and smoky all summer, so I have no plans to stay indoors all winter. That is why we pay exorbitant housing prices, for pete's sake, so we can bike and hike and run around all winter.

And for when it's actually cold, I still have my Mamacoat. Nothing like extra body heat to keep everybody warm. Won't work for cycling, though!

I can't imagine staying inside all winter...
    Those moms must have never played in the woods. But, seriously, I can't imagine not having boots or a winter coat in New England. I had a lot of wool as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    So she has itty bitty base layers,
    That line, "itty bitty base layers," just CRACKS me up every time I read it. Please PLEASE post some photos of these itty bitty base layers.

Do you remember the scene in "Three Men and a Baby," where they took the baby to a construction site in a tiny tiny hardhat. Same idea, it just makes you smile and smile.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

I will, if it ever drops below 80 degrees here!

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    I will, if it ever drops below 80 degrees here!

That's not nice to brag!

EEEKS! Forecast for tonight in Newark and tomorrow's bike commute: 39 degrees, rain, wind! I'm breaking out the CuddlDuds and rain pants!
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

I can't say we were deprived or anything as kids, there were 5 of us, so we just tended to wear all the clothing we owned in the snow or cold - so my parents definitely had layering down!

There were a few sizes of snow boots and if you didn't fit those, then there were a couple of pairs of knee high mens galoshes that we'd use.

We weren't particularly cold - but I definitely can stay warmer layering with smarter better clothing choices now.

I keep trying to give my Mother some nice fleece jackets, rain coats, or wool and she always refuses.... So now if I want to give her something like that, I wear them a couple of times, and then I'll sort a bag of clothes to donate to goodwill or the church.... I then give my Mom the bag of clothes and tell her that I want to donate it and she should check if she wants anything out of the bag....

So she of course then takes the nice jackets or whatever, and gives me hell for being so decadent that I was going to give away such nice jackets or clothing...

And a while later I'll hear all about how could i have tried to give away such a warm or waterproof jacket and all about how great it is... And am I sure I don't want it back?

She's cute.

Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post
    That line, "itty bitty base layers," just CRACKS me up every time I read it. Please PLEASE post some photos of these itty bitty base layers.
    There's a Norwegian brand called Janus that makes inexpensive but functional merino wool underwear for kids. My son has literally spent every winter since he was born encased in first a navy blue wool "bodysuit", then a navy blue polo sweater. He hasn't started wearing it yet, but once he does he won't take it off until spring

Oh - and great lateral thinking, Catriona!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett