Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lost a mechanic (long post)

I am extremely frustrated and feel a bit disgusted. Also very disappointed.

I thought I had a great mechanic at my LBS. The guy takes great care of my bike, and goes above and beyond. He's helped me with a lot of things. BF and I sometimes run into him during our rides and we all end up chatting for a few minutes. However, I started to notice that this guy was developing a bit of a crush on me. He would start calling me "beautiful" and things like that. So I felt uncomfortable and stopped going to the store. If I really needed something done for my bike, I would take BF with me. (I have taken my bike to other places and I am definitely not happy with the way they treat it). So the guy backed off and started telling us about his 17 year old son and his wife and bla bla bla.

Well, the other day I had to take my other bike in because I was preparing to sell it. So I wanted it in great shape. BF and I dropped it off, and I had to pick it up by myself because BF had a baseball game to play. The stupid mechanic would not let me take my own bike to my car, he just had to hold on to it and felt the need to help me. I already felt uncomfortable and told him to give me my bike. He just walked out of the store with it! So I open my car from a distance and watch him put my bike in the back. I then lock the car and wait for him to go back inside the store. Instead, he walks up to me, and asks for a hug. I say no. The guy just hugs me and says: I wish you didn't have a boyfriend. I try to get him away from me, and as I turn my head away and get ready to push him, he kisses my cheek. I pushed him off and felt disgusted and violated. I yelled at him that he has a wife and that he knows my BF and how dare he! I wanted to go back into the store and look for his manager, but was too embarrassed. I just got into my car and raced off.

I am never, ever going back there again. I don't understand why some men are like this. Now, I have to look for a new LBS and a new mechanic too. I hate this!

What on earth was he thinking???? You really should report him to the manager, I mean it may cost him his job but this is unacceptable in so many ways. Just for you as a customer you shouldn't feel uncomfortable and as a person you shouldn't have to deal with that strong of an advance. ICK!!!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    He probably does this to other women customers too. The manager/owner should know about it. Hugging and kissing you against your will!!?? That's serious stuff.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto what the others have said. That's really not cool behavior, and I would call the manager.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

ditto what the others said. YOu need to go see the manager and tell him what happened. If he has done it to you, he could very well be doing it to other women. That and think how that reflects on and impacts that store. If they are losing business due to this person, they need to know it.

Don't let him win by your silence!!! Stand up against him and do something about him. You will be surprised by how much better you will feel once you do something.

Fujichants, I'm really sorry that happened to you.

There is something wrong with our culture that causes women to feel guilty when this happens to them. Forgive me if I'm totally wrong about that, Fujichants, but I sort of sense it a little bit in your post. I'm pretty sure there's a part of me that would feel guilty in that situation too, as though it was my fault in some way.

Not your fault. He's a jerk.

what a creep. just stay away from him and the store... who needs that kind of stuff... there are other fine mechanics out there....
    if you don't like sewing, you haven't found the right fabric

Call his manager. Seriously.

call his manager. He needs to have consequences for his actions or he might do it again. OR WORSE.

please?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

wow

ew

what they all said, let the mgr know!!!

Don't be embarrassed! ( that is what is wrong with our culture!!) Be mad. He's the one that should feel that way. I would call the manager and MAKE AN APPOINTMENT so they know you are serious.

and bring your boyfriend with you!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

What a tough situation, and I'm sorry it happened to you. Go speak to the manager. You might save a less savvy/stron/confident woman from a much worse situation. You had the common sense to try not to get near him, and he still was that aggressive.
    You're invited to visit my blog: http://tris3kidsandlife.blogspot.com/

WOW! That's really bad.

Flirting... annoying, but no harm. Walking out to your car and then kissing you on the cheek? YUCK! Way over the line.

There is no way you can go back there. What a freak that guy is. Just wow.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

No means no, but NO means NO!!!

Here's my 2 cents....

The way I see it, the guy did two things wrong.
    1. Took your bike to your car when you told him not to.
    2. Gross violation of your personal space.

Problem #1:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujichants View Post
    The stupid mechanic would not let me take my own bike to my car, he just had to hold on to it and felt the need to help me. I already felt uncomfortable and told him to give me my bike. He just walked out of the store with it! So I open my car from a distance and watch him put my bike in the back.
    You told him to give you your bike, but he still took it. I can understand why this would make you angry. I prefer to load my bikes by myself, and when people offer to help, I say, "no thanks". But if they persist, that polite "no thanks" turns into a very strong "NO THANKS". Then if they still don't get the picture, I say "NO!!"

By telling him to give you your bike back, but then opening your car so he could put it in the back, you weren't really being clear with him that "no means no".

Problem #2:
    There's no excuse the hug. And it seems very clear that you were quite firm in declining his advances. I agree that you should speak with the owner/manager. Remember that the mananger didn't do anything wrong and you aren't angry with him, but be sure he knows that this guy was way out of line!

And in the future, just be sure that you really mean it when when you say, "No"! It's not only the word "no", but it's your tone and actions that are important.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Fuji, please do something about it.

I had something similar happen when I went car shopping in Feb. I knew something was up when the sales guy I talked to said I sounded beautiful on the phone. I should of just went somewhere else. Duh.

But no, I wanted this jeep so bad, I went to the dealership at night (strike one) and went on a test drive alone with him (strike two) where he grabbed me and tried to kiss me (strike three). I promptly spun the jeep out and went back to the dealership. It could have been worse. I just wanted out of there. Yes, I was embarrassed, I have no idea why but that quickly turned to anger. Here I was, all alone on the east coast, this guy has my address, knows where I live, knows everything because I filled out my info before test driving. So I left.

The next evening, I came back. I did bring a male with me and had him stand off to the side. Little did anyone know, it was my bike mechanic. I went to the salesmanager and told him what happened. I wanted the sales guy to know that I wasn't alone. He wasn't a part of conversation, he was just there. He didn't hear any of the conversation, just outside displayed nicely in the big plate glass.

The guy got fired. End of story. They were very apologetic in fact, very surprisingly apologetic. Which makes me think this wasn't his first complaint.

The reason I went back? All night I kept thinking, what if he did that to another woman and didn't take no for an answer...what if she was me but 20 years old? I have to tell you ladies, in my 20s I was not this bold. I learned by being tested, and I just kept thinking, if that happened to someone's daughter or sister, I would by very mad.

The reason I brought the bike mechanic? I wasn't scared, but I wanted to make sure if this guy was a wingnut that I did have someone in my corner if something happened to me. I didn't want to be followed, or harassed.

So Fuji, do what you think is right, but just make sure you do it how your gut tells you. BF in the car, right next to you, whatever...listen to that instinct that we were given and use it...sometimes we all need a little help and there is no shame in that. I would say that having him next to me would be unnerving for me...