Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 150 miles

150 miles

To disable ads, please log-in.

in two days. i did it.

help fight to end MS!

did anyone else do the oklahoma ms this weekend?
    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

strength to beat those neverending flats!

Hooray! Good for you. I did the New Bern, NC 150 this past weekend, and planned to do 75 each day, but ended up doing 75 the first day and 30 the second due to the heat (in the 90's both days with Sunday being the hottest).

Was this a personal best for you as far as distance?

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

good for you! oh yes it was for sure a personal best...the furthest i had gone before this weekend was a good 40 miles HAHA!

the first day i did 85 miles..i have nver ever ever seen as big of hills as there were on this day! We were getting weather from the hurricane so rain was pouring!

the second day was 65 miles! They made it a lot easier on us...less hills!! on this day there were winds like i was in a tornado. i can't believe i made it throught that!!

i'm proud of you! did you enjoy your ride??
    "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." - Isaiah 41:10

I feel like a wimp for complaining about heat when you were out there on the hills and in the rain! At least it was flat where I was!

I really did enjoy all but about 20 miles of it. I am still learning what I can eat on long rides, and while I tried to be careful at lunch (didn't eat the bar-b-que sandwich!), I did eat a turkey and cheese, and I didn't really feel that well the next leg of the ride. The good news is, I took it easy riding for a while, and by the end, when my teammates were dragging, I had recovered and felt great! The support vans were pretty busy. It seems the heat got to a lot of riders.

I was very sore the next day, and one of my teammates had saddle sores rubbed by a seam in the back of her shorts, so that had a lot to do with our decision to just do 30 as well.

It was a personal best for me, too. Previously, I had done about 64 miles in one day, and that was a few years ago! Since I have taken cycling back up, the most has been around 40.

They do such a great job in organizing and supporting the MS 150 rides. It was a great experience. We're already talking about next year.

You did a great job, especially under those conditions!

Grits

Wow! I did the MS Ride in New Bern, NC this weekend also. We had heat and headwinds (did I mention heat??). I can, however, tell you that I did not ride day 2 last year because of a tropical storm. I can't believe you rode through it - way to go!!!!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Did you have any raingear? If so, what kind, and did it work?

Grits

i just realized that i should have posted under charity rides, i'm sorry!

grits-dont feel like a wimp!!! you did great! i'm not too great in the heat, i can only imagine the sun beating down on me!

If not for my boyfriend (a machine of a cyclist), i wouldn't have made it. he coached me through the whole thing! My sister, my dad, my boyfriend, and i all formed a team. My boyfriend probably did the MS200 because he would ride up to me, then ride back to where my dad was, then catch my sister, then come back up to me...he is nuts!

the SAG vans were loaded in oklahoma too!

today i'm hurtin! my boyfriend tells me this is the best time to use the MS ride for training purposes. I should at least spin around the neighborhood for a good 15 miles to keep my muscles moving in my legs, then start doing another 60 miles tomorrow..

i did have raingear!! at the LBS i bought pearl izumi toe covers, they worked great. Of course in a stinkin monsoon, water was eventually going to end up in my shoes, but they did great with keeping my feet warm and dry for a bit!

The jacket i bought is by RAINSHEILD? i had never heard of it or anything, but it said breathable, windproof, waterproof, and lightweight. I got it from the same BS that i got my toe covers from. It really did work great. It kept me SO warm and dry for the most part! it was only 34 dollars in comparison to the high prices of all the others! i would for sure recommend it!!!

www.myspace.com/mandiman

there are pictures up there of the jacket and i believe there are some of the toe covers as well!

Smile

Totally proud of all of you!! I am in training for our MS150 next May in South Florida - we ride from Miami to Key Largo and back - 75 each day. DH and I are training now in the 90s because we know that next May will be about the same temps. Our MS is rain or shine, so thanks for the tip on the rain gear and toe covers! Right now I just have one of those little rain ponchos in my bike bag, but that thing flopping around in a torrential downpour will just not work. And we are on a really tight budget, so your rain jacket is not too expensive - thanks for the link. What an accomplishment! How did you train for it? We are riding every chance we get - so far this month we have logged 100+ miles - we are trying to do bridges (Florida “hills”) as much as possible and I am doing interval sprints to strenghthen up. I have about sixty pounds I need to lose before next May so that is a liability for now. But my diet plateau has finally broken with the increased cycling and intervals, so hopefully I will be at goal by next May. Any tips on nutrition? I recently switched from Gatorade (makes me nauseus) to PowerBar electrolyte mix - it seems to be setting well with my tummy.
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

Great job! How exciting for you! That pouring rain would have made it tough.

Fantastic riding! In rain and wind! Already mentally stronger.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Congrats!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers