Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I avoid that totally depleted feeling after a long ride?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I've come out of lurkdom hoping the collective wisdom and experience of all you knowledgeable list members can help me.

I've been riding with a group (C level) since the end of March 05 that does progressively longer distances each Saturday. We're now up to 50 plus miles per ride and I am completely exhausted afterwards. It took me 5 days to begin to recover from last weeks ride and I had to drop out of the ride this weekend because I was just too depleted to go on after about 12 miles. These are not hard miles, mostly gently rolling hills. The average pace was only about 12 mph.

I'm eating the necessary carbs, plus protein and some fat during the week, I eat carbs during the ride as well as using Gu and drinking Gatorade, and eat carbs and protein after the ride, but nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking about dropping down (or dropping out totally) to a slower group that covers the same distances but I'm worried that this won't make a difference.

I don't ride during the week, although I can get on my trainer.

I've never felt this exhausted before.
    Sorry this is so long. Any thoughts on this issue would be most appreciated.

Carol

If its the only ride your doing each week, you're gonna be tired. My belief is 3 rides per week minimus to build up... not all 3 need to be 50 miles long, but your body isn't getting "stressed" enough to improve. Instead, you are "resting" yourself back to square one.

If you rode like 20 on Tues & Thurs, then your 50 on Sat you'd probably start noticing a difference. Add an easy 10 on Sunday to flush out the lactic acid and warm any kinks and you'll be golden.

Who do you ride with (i.e. which club)?

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

That totally depleted feeling

I agree with Gena (Spazz). Too much, too seldom, too fast. No wonder you're wiped out. You could also back off to the slower group (you ARE NOT a wimp) and increase your time on the trainer if you can't get out during the week.

I am absolutely amazed what consistent training does. Every year I'm amazed. Also every year I expect to get slower (because I am getting older) but that doesn't happen. I recover from the winter more quickly every year.

Biking is too much fun to wear yourself out that way. Hey, you're the nutritionist. Listen to your body.

But good for you for getting out there and fighting. Barb
    You're never too old!

Your carbs during and after the ride should be fast carbs, e.g., simple sugars and carbs. A glass of orange juice with a scoop of vanilla protein powder is a great after-ride drink. Be sure you're taking in carbs within 30 minutes of getting off of the bike.

I would back off the Saturday mileage and add rides during the week, as others have suggested.

What kind of bike are you on? If your bike is really heavy, you are expending more energy on those rolling hills than your riding buddies.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Thanks Spazz, Barb and Dogmama

Spazz, Barb and Dogmama-
    Your great minds think alike - "Too much, too seldom, too fast."

Spazz - the concept of "resting myself back to square one" really makes sense. I can't get out on the road during the week, so I guess I'll have to put in miles on the trainer. And see how I feel by Thursday. Then I'll know better whether to drop down to the slower group or quit. I'm too old to go from 0 miles per ride to 50 miles per ride once a week without any negative effects.
    I belong to the NYCC (New York Cycle Club) and have been riding out of NYC over the George Washington Bridge into beautiful New Jersey every Saturday.

Barb - thanks for clarifying the wimp issue. That's been on my mind. I certainly do feel less than adequate at the moment. I guess I should take into consideration that I'm probably around 20 years older than most of the riders in my group (who also do not ride during the week).

Dogmama - I've been eating a Larabar (nuts and dried fruit) or banana plus some cheese right after my rides... not simple enough?
    I ride a Felt F80 road bike... it's not heavy at all... I can't blame this on the bike... it is actually really fast and wonderful.

Carol

ccnyc - a FELT! Now grrl, that little pony needs to roll during the week

2 or 3 laps of Central Park (6.2 ish mi p/lap) with those nice hills would take you the shake of a lambs tail! Plus, if memory serves, there's no car's in the park after 7:00 PM.

Much more fun than the trainer... but if you gotta do it inside, so be it.

If you're in Brooklyn, not Manhattan... laps in Prospect are just as good.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

2 or 3 laps of Central Park (6.2 ish mi p/lap) with those nice hills would take you the shake of a lambs tail! Plus, if memory serves, there's no car's in the park after 7:00 PM.

You're right, there are no cars in Central Park after 7PM (or before 6AM), they're all insanely driving around midtown Manhattan! I'd love to ride in the park (do it on the weekends), but the ride up and back is waaay too dangerous during rush hour. Can't take the bike on the subway either at that time.

Spazz- Are you originally from NYC?

carol

ccnyc: yes, I lived in Manhattan from '86 (I think) to '94. I ran with FrontRunners and am a long distance member if their "off-shoot" cycling club, Fast & Fabulous. I competed for Team NY in track & field at both the '90 and '94 Gay Games. And I can't tell you how many times I circled Central Park.

As to the streets... I liked riding them. Just gotta be alert. And they let the bikes on after 7:00PM if I remember correctly. Ride to the park (practicing those ever important handling skills) then a couple laps then poof! Onto the subway with you.

There's a few NYC'ers on this board... maybe they'll come out to play.
    no regrets!

Spazzdog Ink Gallery

Spazz -
    I'm impressed... you're a real athlete (not like me), apparently with nerves of steel. The traffic (and the streets themselves) have gone from bad to worse in the last few years.
    I'm working on how I can get up to the park during the week... until then it's the trainer for me.
    Thanks for the good advice and encouragement.

Carol

Simple Carbs

Carol,

The fat in the nuts may slow down the absorption of the sugar in the dried fruit in your lara bars. Ditto on the cheese & bananas. If you can get a non-fatty source of protein so that your sugars digest and get into your muscles more quickly, you may feel better.

This is the second time I've heard of lara bars on this board. The no sugar part appeals to me. I'll have to scope some out.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama -

You are right, the fat does slow down sugar absorption. I'm so used to slowing down how fast sugar gets into my bloodstream it would never occur to me to take it "straight".
    I'm gonna try the juice plus protein powder and see what happens. Hope it doesn't set off any sugar/starchy carb cravings.

As a nutritionist I can highly recommend Larabars. High quality ingredients, great taste, very satisfying and no junk in it. The only problem is that the ingredients are not organic. I've found that these do not promote, in my experience, sweet/starchy carb cravings.

Carol

Please be sure to post your experience with the juice/protein combo and if it sets off carb/sugar cravings. I've been having carb/sugar cravings like crazy lately.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

what have you been eating different Dogmama??....I've found when I get my carb/sugar cravings it's because sometime in the last 24 hrs I ate something that I shouldn'thaveoutta! I usually just eat some nuts or I keep dried unsweetened Mango strips around and that seems to help me get over the "bump".
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

The universe works in strange ways...

The decision to stay with my current riding group, drop down a level or drop out totally has been made for me. Last night I stubbed my toe so badly on my trainer that I went to the ER and found out that I have a crack at the base of my toe. No riding for me for at least 3 weeks or more!

Now I'll finally get to fully recover from my last exhausting ride, but I'll lose any base I've already acquired.

I am soooo bummed.

Carol

And you thought the streets of NYC were dangerous. Hope you heal quickly and get back to cycling with renewed energy.