Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Just Certified, no experience!

Does anyone have any advice for someone who has no experience and trying to get a job subbing as an instructor? Many gyms ask for a "fitness resume" but I have no formal athletic background. HELP!

Do like a normal resume--if you don't have experience, list your hobbies and interests. How long have you been participating in athetics? Bike riding? Attending their classes? What do you bring that is different? Goals?

Do you cycle? Have you attended other spinning classes? That is the biggest complaint I have about my spinning instructors. They either have never been on a real bike, so they don't know what "gears" are or what they are trying to simulate. OR, they've never been in any other instructors' classes, so they don't know what they are doing the same or different.

Everybody starts somewhere, and the resume is just like filling out an application. I hate applications, so I'd rather leave a resume.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Which certification?

Quote Originally Posted by cunninghamair View Post
    Do like a normal resume--if you don't have experience, list your hobbies and interests. How long have you been participating in athetics? Bike riding? Attending their classes? What do you bring that is different? Goals?

Do you cycle? Have you attended other spinning classes? That is the biggest complaint I have about my spinning instructors. They either have never been on a real bike, so they don't know what "gears" are or what they are trying to simulate. OR, they've never been in any other instructors' classes, so they don't know what they are doing the same or different.

Everybody starts somewhere, and the resume is just like filling out an application. I hate applications, so I'd rather leave a resume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Which certification?
    Thanks, that was helpful. I have been indoor cycling for about 3 years since I decided to change my lifestyle and start getting in shape. I lost 80 pounds dieting and exercising (mostly cycling) and it's been something I'm very passionate about ever since. I just got certified with Mad Dogg in February. I did ride outdoors, but I don't have a ton of experience with that. I just want to spread my love for cycling, and maybe even help others reach their weight loss goals!

Is there a way for you to volunteer as an instructor somewhere? I realized it would be hard to organize the equipment, but wouldn't it be cool to head up some rides for at-risk kids or women who need to work on their self-esteem because of abusive relationships that they've escaped?

Barring that, if you've had any instructional experience at all, that would count on a résumé. Have you had any time in front of a classroom?

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I would imagine that getting on some sort of "Substitute" list might be the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinGirlNYC View Post
    Thanks, that was helpful. I have been indoor cycling for about 3 years since I decided to change my lifestyle and start getting in shape. I lost 80 pounds dieting and exercising (mostly cycling) and it's been something I'm very passionate about ever since. I just got certified with Mad Dogg in February. I did ride outdoors, but I don't have a ton of experience with that. I just want to spread my love for cycling, and maybe even help others reach their weight loss goals!
    Hi there,

congrat for you certification, now the work begins. There are many spinninstructors they use the class for there own workout, but this is not right. You have to motivate people, you have to help them and hopefully correct them ( I know this is a difficult task) . Also learn the difference between indoor and outdoor cycling, there are differences. I recommend, check out the website: www.roadbikerider.com, there you can find an e book "keep it real" from Jennifer Sage, Master Instructor MadDogg.
    All the best
    Resi
    Last edited by Resi; 04-02-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: change