Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Has anyone tried diaper cream?

Hi all.

My bum (and I use that term broadly) was pretty sore after a long ride (80 miles!!! my longest ride to date) yesterday, so I decided to try some of my son's diaper cream, Calmoseptine ... figured what works for the goose ... And it worked great!!! I can barely even tell I rode yesterday down there!!

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I thought I would share that little trick with everyone since I stumbled upon it.

By the way, Calmoseptine is sold behind the counter in the pharmacy, but you don't need a prescription ... (and if you happen to have a baby, it's the best diaper cream I found out there)

I suppose it doesn't help your sitz bones though?

Now THAT would be a money maker. How is that cream different than like Desitin?

I (and others) have used diaper ointment for a while, too. It doesn't do much for me for single rides, but if I have to ride on multiple days in the heat and will be sweating lots (or if I ride in the rain with wet shorts) it really reduces the irritation.

The one I have is whatever was available at the French pharmacy (over the counter) of Grenoble where I was cycling for four consecutive days in the pouring rain a couple of years ago. That tube is lasting forever.

Does it wash out easily? I've used A&D and Aquaphor in the past, but neither of them wash out, and both are so thick that they make the hair clump. But I haven't found the "perfect" chamois creme yet.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Does it wash out easily? I've used A&D and Aquaphor in the past, but neither of them wash out, and both are so thick that they make the hair clump. But I haven't found the "perfect" chamois creme yet.
    Hmm, "easily" I wouldn't quite say that. I don't really care about the occasional leftover (after washing) white streaks on the inside, but if you put a lot on you some of the cream can seep through the fabric and leave sort of a faint white shadow. It goes away after a wash or two. In my case I really have to look closely to notice, though.

No, it doesn't do anything for the bones, unfortunately I didn't use it as a chamois creme, just a small amount after riding to soothe the skin irritation. So, washing out isn't too much of an issue.

As for Desitin and other diaper ointments, I have used those for my son's diaper rash but he did not respond well (ie, they stung him). The Calmoseptine always seemed to work quickly to clear up skin irritations, so that's what I kept around the house. Apparently, it is used for a range of skin irritations ... http://www.calmoseptineointment.com/

Anti Monkey Butt Powder

Hi everyone. I recently found the BEST stuff to use on my long distance rides. I ride almost every single day - 25-75 miles usually, with my local bike club. I had used Assos Chamois Cream for about 3 years, and really loved it. All natural product, and washes out quick and clean. Keeps you friction-free for miles without re-applying during a long distance ride. But what I found on long, hot and humid days that my chamois was so wet that it was just yukky. And applying more of the cream, mid ride just made it yukk-ier! I buy high quality bike shorts (several brands/styles) that all advertise the pad will ventilate well and stay dry. But they really don't. Yeah, on the 20 mile rides maybe. So I was talking to an Esthetician one day and she said use powder with talc. She said that it is the moisture that is accumulating in and around your saddle contact points, when you sweat, and it gets moist then it causes friction and you get sores. Keep it dry and you won't end up with those sore pimple-like sores and clogged pores and infected hairs. As many 'creams' will do, especially if they have vitamin E in the ingredients. (It clogs pores). I went into a Whole Foods Store (in Boulder, CO) and bought a can of Anti Monkey Butt Powder. http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/ambfaqs.html There are several places that will sell it on line, Google for some more of those sites.
    Well, I'll tell you that stuff is fabulous. I left with this and I rode everyday in the Rocky Mountains for a week (60-100 mile rides), and I never got any sores 'down there'. I sprinkle some powder on my hand and place it on both inner sides of the legs up in the crotch area. I also tend to sweat under the bra band and so I place some under each breast too. Things just stay so dry and comfortable. This Monkey Butt Powder has talc and some calamine in it. It is a sweat absorber and friction fighter! And it is great too because it doesn't leave a mess on your shorts like some of those thick diaper creams that don't rinse out well. I was my shorts out by hand every day after the ride when I'm on these multi-day bike tours and there is no gunk to wash off when using this Monkey Butt Powder. Just another thing on powder. I had tried Johnson&Johnson Baby Powder several years ago, and didn't like it at all. This Anti Monkey Butt Powder is different, and really does what it is suppose to do. Lots of motorcyclists, horseback riders, truckers, hikers use this powder. Is see from reading about it that it was developed by people who actually are bike riders!
    Just a general note on saddle sores - it is so important that you have your saddle in the right position on your bike. If you haven't had a good professional bike fit, that can make a huge difference. If your sits bones aren't sitting just right on the saddle because the fore and aft position and height of the saddle are not correct you will get sores or be just uncomfortable. Even the reach to your handle bars, if it isn't right, can affect how you feel in your saddle area. I've also found some pads, even though the quality shorts don't have 'seams' in the crotch area these days some of those pads just don't hit you right in the sensitive areas and inner legs area and it can cause friction down there that make you miserable. Some pad fabric are just more abrasive too. For me I found the Sugoi RS Short is best in my saddle contact areas.
    Hope some of this helps. . .
    Happy riding, summer's going fast here in the USA!