Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Do you have an opinion?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, Shirley Manson aside, I have spent the last week and a half obsessing about bikes and test-riding them, going through the same process most of you have already experienced. I've ridden a Trek 1.2 WSD and 1.5, a Specialized Dolce and Sequoia, a Scott Speedster S40, and a Giant OCR1 W. The Speedster was the least comfortable of the lot, followed by the Giant. I wasn't all that crazy about the Treks, but that may be due to the very irritating guy at the dealership. The Specialized felt very nice. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, the Fuji Finest models are by special order only. My question is has anyone else ridden one and any of the others and could comment on their impressions? I realize this is very subjective, but would appreciate the feedback. Is there a Fuji equivalent in men's I could maybe try to get an idea of what the ride is like at least? Thanks for everyone's help.

I test rode a Dolce and liked it. Ended up getting a Bianchi but not because I didn't like the Dolce--I had other reasons.

I would love to know the Shirley Manson connection...please.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I've got a 2007 Giant OCR1 w and I love it.

The only complaint I have is that for me braking from the hoods gets very little brake power except on very flat terrain and I've considered an upgrade on the calipers. Braking is fine from the drops. I'm in the drops or leaning down to grip the brake from the front on most downhills, even the littleish ones. They are long reach and shimmed to the max. Bike shop has adjusted brakes a couple of times, but no luck.
    Last edited by teawoman; 07-20-2008 at 08:07 PM.

The only opinion I have is, I love Shirley Manson! Garbage rocks! Good luck on finding your right bike.

Brenda

There's a Fuji Finest (men's) and Finest WSD. If you can't find that, you'd probably get a good idea sitting on a Newest or Newest WSD.

I've got an '05 Specialized Sequoia Comp and absolutely adore her. She feels like an extension of my body. I ride 100 - 150 miles a week, averaging 16 - 18mph, with no aches and pains. She is a very comfortable, forgiving bike.

Of course each bike fits people differently. Test ride as many bikes as possible. I am 5'7" with a 33" inseam and my bike is a Medium. I changed out the stem because I am long-legged but short waisted. Other than that, everything is stock.

Well, rode some more bikes today and muddied the water. Rode a Bianchi Elena, Cannondale Feminine Alloy 3, a Lemond Etape WSD, and a 2009 Trek Pilot 2.1 WSD. The Trek and the Cannondale came out on top, but are more than I was planning on spending, and that doesn't even count accessories. I also rode an upper end men's Cannondale to check out the compact double configuration. I was thinking I wouldn't like it, but I did. There were no Fujis to ride either mens or womens. They Finest sure specs out nice, but I don't feel comfortable plunking down that kind of money not having ridden it. Why can't I live in a bigger city?

I sure appreciate everyone's help and encouragement!

The other confusing thing for me has been the range of sizes. I am 5'5" and have a 29 inch inseam and I have been put on anywhere from a 48cm to a 54! The 48-50 has felt the best to me overall.

OF COURSE! Do you have an opinion...

It's from Special! Duh. I too am a big Garbage fan, at least of their first two CDs.

I have exactly the same height and inseam, and have a 50 cm. Bianchi--perfect size for me. Had a 54 Specialized Sirrus that was TOO big--top tube way too long for me.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks