Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I am a dog lover. And I get mighty annoyed by unleashed animals. To say that being chased by a dog that is "barking and baring its teeth is not a pleasant situation" is quite an understatement. One of the most terrifying minutes of my life was being chased by two dalmatians as 10 year old riding a too-big adult bicycle. If I'd have fallen, I have no doubt they would have viciously attacked me.

My border collie has been attacked by an unleashed dog on two occasions. When I am walking my dogs and I see an unleashed dog, particularly breeds known for dog aggression, my blood pressure goes up and I immediately look for a way to get away. So, even though I am not scared for myself, per se, unleashed dogs where they shouldn't be tick the hell out of me. I have seriously considered carrying a knife in case I have to kill an attacking dog. After the two attacks, I'm that freaked out.

Even if your town doesn't have a leash law, it must have an 'in control' clause. A dog that chases someone or something is not in control. I don't know where the picture is now, but I saw a shot of someone set up for touring that kept a baseball bat sticking out of his rear pannier. Maybe you could start carrying something that can obviously be used as a defensive weapon against a dog attack. [There is a cross walk where I have almost gotten hit at so many times, I'm thinking of carrying a golf club and swinging it as I'm walking--as if to say 'would you like a nice dent or smashed in window in your Mercedes?'.]

Don't feel bad about the e-mail that was sent. Now no one cam claim ignorance.

That is so dangerous. Getting chased by a dog while on my bike is my worst nightmare. Well, it's at the top of the list. A while back I was riding around in my neighborhood when I saw TWO off-leashed pit bulls hanging out on the front lawn of what I'm guessing was their house. I felt everything around me stop and knot in my stomach. I was so thankful, and lucky, that they didn't approach me. Even sweet dogs are capable of the unthinkable, especially when they see a cyclist coming their way. Oh yeah, there wasn't an owner in sight, meaning these dogs were under no supervision.

My advice, along with everyone elses, call the cops next time. Or animal control.

Another on your side. My neighbor's pint size pooch ran between my sister's wheels, causing her to flip. His dog had been getting loose pretty often. I marched up to his door and let him have it for a good 10 minutes.

You were both in the right and much nicer about it. Too bad some people would have to pedal a few miles in your shoes to realize just how badly they're behaving, how neglectful they are, yet never will.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

The owner of that pint sized pooch is lucky it didn't end up with a broken neck. It's happened to many a squirrel, and it usually results in a broken fork and serious crash for the rider. Just stupid all around to carelessly let your dogs off leash.

You're 100% right, and the neighbor is 100% wrong. I have a dog. I love my dog. For his protection (and the protection of others), he is always behind a fence or on a leash. Once in a long while (in very controlled circumstances), he's off lead under voice control. And I do not welcome dogs off leash messing with him (this includes dogs who are walking their owners). I was attacked by a dog as a kid. It took me a long time to get over it. It's just not cool.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by ttaylor508 View Post
    Send her one of these video clips. It doesn't necessarily show a dog chasing a bike, but it does show how dangerous it is to let your dog run loose when any vehicle is present!
    Or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sgZC...eature=related

Unleashed dogs get loose and get hit by cars

They may form a "pack" with other dogs and get into trouble

They may wander and eat something that makes them ill ... such as a huge vat of chocolate pudding dogs can't eat chocolate yet somehow they survive and don't seem to miss it.

They may get attacked by wildlife, coyotes, pumas ...

They may get "dognapped", or simply lost and most lost dogs are not chipped and they don't get back home ....

Leash law or not I think an unleashed dog is an unloved dog. My mutt is always on a leash if outside the home.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

OK, I sent her the link to the previous thread. Her reply was that she understands and that she USED to be an avid cyclist. And, she was attacked by dogs twice.
    My husband informed me that I had neglected to read the whole email. I missed the part where she invited us over for drinks (seriously).

Sometimes I think I am the crazy one and the rest of the world is sane.

As a biker and a dog owner and lover, I sympathize. I get frustrated by dog owners who don't properly care for their pets and keep them from hurting others. Even the best of dogs can get excited and go after someone on a bike or in a car, even innocently. Here is some info on the laws regarding dogs and bikes- but the gist is that pet owners are responsible for their pets.