Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

air quality: how is riding in the Bay Area today?

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's awful smokey out today. Has anyone been out riding today? I'm over in Concord, and it's pretty stinky out. Can you breathe in this air today??

It's fine at home in Southern Marin. Not so great here at work in Oakland. SF seemed ok. San Jose was a little hazier, but not too bad. (Yes, I have been all freaking over the Bay today. ) I probably wouldn't ride in Concord, but that's the one place I HAVEN'T been today. . .
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I went to the gym to run on the treadmill instead of running outside this morning. It's still pretty nasty here in Antioch. I'm going to have to have a date with Coach Troy this afternoon.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    It's fine at home in Southern Marin. Not so great here at work in Oakland. SF seemed ok. San Jose was a little hazier, but not too bad. (Yes, I have been all freaking over the Bay today. ) I probably wouldn't ride in Concord, but that's the one place I HAVEN'T been today. . .
    Geez, did you organize your own private century today?
    Anyway thanks for the report.
    Amy

I live in Morgan Hill and have not ridden outdoors with any regularity since all the fires began, due to the poor air quality. The Santa Cruz fires were over the hill (five or so miles as the crow flies), but the wind blew the smoke our direction. Ash was all over everything. The fires caused by lightning strikes near Gilroy this past weekend were smaller but much closer, near roads we normally ride on the weekends - the Hummingbird Fire in particular. We ride Watsonville and Day Roads all the time.

We decided to do a 40 miler anyway on Saturday heading north instead. Sometimes you just have to get out and ride regardless. It wasn't too bad. I would not have ridden, or would have turned around and gone home, if I'd had any problems breathing. We could see helicopters flying to the area reservoirs to scoop up water.

It's going to be a long fire season. Everything is sooooo dry.

Fire story
    Last edited by five one; 06-23-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

I live up in the Forestville near Sebastopol and rode today. It looked "smokey" but there was no scent and it did not seem to be a problem with riding. I have to say it was nice being out there as opposed to last week when we had temps in the high 90s................today it topped out at 75!!!

I rode in to work this morning (Union City to Redwood City, across the Dumbarton Bridge) and it wasn't bad at all. We'll see how it is going home though.

Last night I had my bedroom window open and I could smell the smoke - I was wondering if a fire had started up close to us. I guess it drifted over our way once the winds died down.

It seems to settle here in the valley in the morning and then it clears as the wind comes off the ocean.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

It's still nasty here! Been yucky all day!

V.

TandemHearts.com

Here in Sacramento our mothers and babies group ride got canceled due to air quality in the orange zone -- they are advising that kids just stay indoors today, so that is what we did. It's been a long day (and the weather is otherwise beautiful) but every time I step outside my eyes burn and my throat stings.

It wasn't as bad when I got home. I had an "assigment" to try some pedals I borrowed from the LBS, so I just tooled around for a while and went home. This is the worst the air has been without an obvious grass fire nearby.

It is AWFUL here in Placerville right now. I would say visibility is easily less than a half mile. We are officially in unhealthy conditions with health advisories posted. It's even permeated the building here are work and we are all hacking and sneezing. I live about 15 miles above Placerville and it wasn't too bad this morning, but I would imagine it's moved its way up the hill by now. No riding around here today

It doesn't smell as smoky here, but the sky is gray still from all the particulates.

I did another treadmill workout for my run today and I'll probably do Coach Troy again this afternoon.

I hope tomorrow is better. My schedule calls for a long ride and I really don't want to do a long video.

V.

TandemHearts.com

It was definitely smoky in the morning - but not smelly, mostly just hazy. I rode, and it was ok. Went to San Rafael to get new tires (for my car ) and it was a lot smokier up there that it is down here. I think we get a lot more air movement from the ocean.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

fire?

IS there some type of forest fire up the area or is this how California air quality is in the summer? Seriously kids..i have no clue