Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last night's news showed a view of South Shore. Couldn't even see the lake, the smoke was so thick.

Yeah I saw that on the news last night too! Ugly!

I think the only saving grace for the Death ride is that I don't think there are any fires in that immediate area. I think the reason Sac/Auburn/Tahoe area are so smoky is because of the Foresthill complex fires and another one near Blue Canyon/I-80. I don't think there are any major fires south of there.

If you are curious on some of the passes I would call stores in the area...for example call The Lake Alpine Lodge on Ebbetts Pass (209-753-6350) and Markleeville stores to see what its like in the area.

Good luck and I know today in Sacramento is UGLY! Already about 90 and smoky. Not riding today. AQI is supposed to be over 150.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Roadie gal - I'm wondering if perhaps it is better higher up and the smoke settles lower down?

I can't find any data from the AQ board on the Sierras south of Tahoe. I guess we'll see when we get there. As someone with a history of pretty scary lung disorder, I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. Hoping higher elevations are better. Seems ok in Nevada.
    I haven't noticed that it's any better higher up. I've tried walking the dogs on some of the higher trails and it's still miserable. It's more a matter of which way the wind is blowing.

It was weird driving home from work last night. The air didn't smell of smoke at all, but the moon was a deep reddish orange. Creepy

The sun is a big orange ball this morning. I'm suppose to do short brick repeats today. Between the heat and the air quality, I have little enthusiasm for that.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm in Pollock Pines...not exactly close to the Death Ride, but not too far away. It's been pretty good here in the mornings but gets really bad by the afternoon. Hopefully the Markleeville area is seeing the same trend. I agree that it might not be as bad over there because the smoke is coming from the Foresthill and Paradise areas and not from the South. It's breezy here this morning...blowing downhill towards the west...and so far the smoke isn't bad at all (well, it's not good...but much better than it has been).

Thanks, Rolliepollie! (My daughter is headed to camp outside Pollock Pines this weekend after Death Ride! ).

I've also got emails into 2 friends who live in NV and ride the area regularly and will be calling some local places, as suggested.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Today is by far one of the worst days so far. I was driving down from El Dorado Hills to Sacramento and visibility was at about 2-3 miles....ugh.
    It smells wicked and it seems to be getting thicker as the day goes on.

Nothing like 106 and smokey. I talked to a friend in Minnesota (CA native) and I am usually bragging about it being 80 and sunny when its 35 and blizzard there...not today! Its 83 in MN an Beautiful...its her turn!

I took the motorcycle to work (Oakland), and had to go to Walnut Creek to have lunch with a friend. I swear once I went through the Caldecott tunnel headed east it was like I was riding on the surface of the sun! No fun at all. (It is so much cooler on this side of the Berkeley hills.) And smokier on that side as well.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Just got back from lunch break and feel sick. The smoke is getting thicker by the minute. I sat outside anyway because the air conditioning inside is so cold . . . nothing like thawing out in 100+ degree temps. But now my throat is sore, my eyes sting, and I'm feeling headachey and nauseous. Also, my clothes and hair smell like a campfire. UGH. Will this ever end???

I do feel for those who are right in the line of fire, losing their homes and such. I really shouldn't feel so bad that all it's doing to me is making it so I can't ride and run outdoors. What a whiner I am.

I rode to work (Oakland), arrived a little breathless. I thought I'd be late but instead had enough time to sip coffee before starting work. But when I sat in the air conditioned building I had a cough, felt the dust on my lungs.

I'll take it real easy on the way home. Might not ride for a bit
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I did 3/4 of a brick in it - all the bike, not all of the run. I stopped because I was having some other issues. It is 107 degrees in my back yard, which is shaded.

The sky is not great, but I can't smell smoke when I go outside.

If it gets under 85 before dark, I'd like to go out and try for another run.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Thanks, Rolliepollie! (My daughter is headed to camp outside Pollock Pines this weekend after Death Ride! ).

I've also got emails into 2 friends who live in NV and ride the area regularly and will be calling some local places, as suggested.
    I may have to eat my words. Now it's super smoky here...worse than I've ever seen. Hopefully it will clear out during the night.

Unfortunately I don't have AC of any kind so I rely on opening the windows at night to cool the house down. Not sure I'm going to be opening those windows tonight though! But...I shoudn't complain...at least I still have a house. Right now I'm making a "fire list" just in case there's a fire nearby this summer and we get evacuated. I might even throw a few things in boxes to be extra prepared.

-sara

Sara I know what you mean.

We're in prime fire territory and I made my husband get an extra backup drive to take to the office so we have our photos, etc if our house and computer go.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I agree with you guys, yesterday was among the worst so far. I heard that the Plumas fire complex flared back up yesterday. I'm sure that's what is sending us most of the smoke.

My heart goes out to anyone who's house is threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    Right now I'm making a "fire list" just in case there's a fire nearby this summer and we get evacuated. I might even throw a few things in boxes to be extra prepared.

-sara
    sara, be safe. I hope you don't have to evacuate. I keep a "go box" of important papers near the door. No fire danger here but does not hurt to be prepared for quakes, etc.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/