Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Easy PNW Century-ish type ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

DH has expressed interest in riding a century. He's been so great about going to all my events, I would like to find something good for him. He hasn't been riding much and would need to build up to it meaning something in June or July wouldn't be good.

I think what would be great would be:

1) relatively flat
    2) not much traffic (he doesn't train in traffic)
    3) well supported
    4) decent temperature.

We have something going on during the Headwaters Century or I thought that would be good. If something was less than 100 (ie 70 miles), that would be workable especially because he/we don't have a lot of time for training for 100.

I've done some prelim websearching and have found a few things. We could go to Eastern WA, Oregon, or somewhere fairly close.

I feel bad because our life seems to revolve around my activities lately. I'd like for him to be able to do this and if there's a metric attached to it (or a lesser distance), I'd be up for riding too

What about the Chuckanut century? There is a flat route that goes north of town into the county, and the hilly route that goes south of town onto Chuckanut. Full 100 mile rts and shorter ones.

I'm in the middle of a glass of wine and my "wind down time", but I'll look for the link soon.

(PS, it raises money for Whatcom County hospice, who helped us take care of my dad and keep him at home while he was dying. Good group, good cause, and from what I hear a good ride, too.)

Edit: here it is http://www.mtbakerbikeclub.org/Chuck...nutCentury.htm I'm bailing on the Danskin, but I'd really like to do the Chuckanut in memory of my dad and in thanks for the Whatcom hospice.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-09-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Here's one we've always wanted to do and is relatively flat, we think--and it's REALLY pretty. It's one week before Danskin, though.

2008 Tenino - Rainier - Yelm - Bucoda Rally
    Sunday, August 10, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Parkside Elementary School
    801 Central Ave
    Tenino, WA 98507

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...tSetUSA&link=1
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    What about the Chuckanut century? There is a flat route that goes north of town into the county, and the hilly route that goes south of town onto Chuckanut. Full 100 mile rts and shorter ones.
    Is this actually flat?

It looks like a ride i might like to do
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Edit: here it is http://www.mtbakerbikeclub.org/Chuck...nutCentury.htm I'm bailing on the Danskin, but I'd really like to do the Chuckanut in memory of my dad and in thanks for the Whatcom hospice.
    I agree - this is a beautiful ride and a well-run one too; besides, how can you beat starting from the brewery?? Doesn't that mean you finish at the same place?

Also, each route isn't a century though (I think that they're 50 or metric, max; you'd have to combine a couple in order to get to that century mark, if that's what DH wants, Teigyr. Also, Chuckanut Drive is a spectacular ride and, if I could do it and enjoy it on my first organized ride - ever - he surely will too.
    Heck, maybe I'll be riding again then (and have another Seven aka Dreambike II too)...it'd sure be a fun ride to work towards...
    Mary

Thank you

I am liking the looks of the Chuckanut Century and the cause is certainly good. Anyone who knows DH knows that starting and ending at a brewery is a definite selling point.

I am very unfamiliar with the area. How long does it take to get there? Is it better to stay there the night before? Are all the loops relatively flat or is one flatter than the other? (ie which one is recommended?) We've decided that neither of us would probably be ready for a century but a metric or 70 mile would be perfect.

Mary, it would be SO great if you could ride by then!!! Knot, I got the impression you were out for the Danskin (could it be the mention of selling your wetsuit?!) but this ride would be fun.

Salsa, yours looks good too. I'd almost be game for both though one week before Danskin might make me nervous. I'm not sure if people taper for sprint tri's but a big ride might be excessive I'll have to look up to see where Tenino is.

It's just B'ham, so about 1 1/2 hr north.

The drive up the morning of the ride won't be bad.

I'd rather do the Chuckanut than just about anything right now.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I agree - it's about a 1.5 hr drive up to Bellingham and the brewery.
    http://www.bbaybrewery.com/

Since you're not planning to ride the century, it'd be an easy day trip (maybe you can magnanimously offer to be the designated driver for the homebound trip, so that your DH can enjoy the post-ride brewery experience?!

I don't think that either route has anything other than rollers, so it's a toss-up as to which is flatter...I'm with Knot, though...that the Chuckanut (south) route is slam-dunk perty!
    Mary

I thought chuckanut was hills! I remember riding it; narrow windy roads...?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Chuckanut drive is major hilly, isn't it? Up north out in the county is much flatter. I was looking at this ride...I need a nice tame ride for my first one. I think this may be the one. B'ham has a ton of rides this summer/fall. I'll try to dig out my brochures I picked up at Ski to Sea.....now that i mention it, I can't remember where I put them all. Anyway, there were a few that sounded right up my nice straight easy alley.
    Kristen!

I know we're a lot farther away over here, but there is an annual Tour des Lacs two day thing (from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene and back) that rides its longest portion on a generally flat multi-use trail. It's technically one city to the other and back the next day, and there are multiple routes from short to super long. The easy option really is just 40 miles of flat trail riding one way, and 40 miles back the other way... but it is scenic.

http://www.roundandround.com/TourDes...ourDesLacs.php

I know there are others out here, but I'm not really tuned into them very well. My dad wants to start riding more, though, so we might set our sights on one and ride it together.

No, no, I meant I wanted to do the "Chuckanut Century," not the part that goes out "Chuckanut Drive!"

If I can swing the Century, I'm doing the north route, through the county where it's flat. I'm not at all interested in riding Chuckanut Drive.

(not that I'm dissing Chuckanut Drive, just that I grew up there, know that road well, and just don't feel the urge to ride my bike on it)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-11-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Oh ok Knotted. I was wondering.....I think Chuckanut Drive would kick my arse, then kill me!
    Kristen!

re: Chuckanut drive - yep, I remember dreading it, as I had to ride it during my very first summer as a rider! It was on day 2 of a 4-day AIDS ride and all I heard from the road crew and ride staff was how it was SO hilly, didn't have any bike lanes, was narrow and twisty and would be oh so hard...I wasn't the only one who was kind of freaking out about riding it! But, they put sandwich board signs out along the roadside, warning drivers: 'Caution - bikes on the road'...there were about 700 riders and again, I had never done anything like this before, I was riding a big ol' heavy Peugeot hybrid, with toeclips and rookie legs to boot!
    Well? It was one of the most memorable, spectacularly beautiful rides I've ever done (this is 11 years and many thousands of miles, mountain passes, city rides later!)...I think it's easier to ride from North to south and there are plenty of pull-outs to rest and/or enjoy the view...it was all very do-able for the rookie rider that I was, so that's why I wasn't warning anyone away from it. I've also done routes to the north, northeast and east of Bellingham...along Birch Bay, through Blaine and out toward Nooksack, Lynden area...all beautiful as well...
    So, there's plenty of time to determine what route you want to ride, Teigyr and DH and no pressure from me to ride one or the other; I was just offering MHO and remembrance of Chuckanut.
    Hoping to be cleared to ride by then myself!
    Tailwinds!
    Mary