Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Unhappy Parking: got in trouble...

Hello Ladies... I got in trouble on my ride today due to parking. I now realize more than one reason why I was wrong. I didn't mean to cause any harm. Hoping maybe you have some advice to share with similiar experiences.

I was trying to shave a higher traffic area off my ride from my home starting point. So, I parked in a church lot that was my route. Parked in the furthest space from the door to try not to be a problem. Ride went great. With shaving off some traffic stress miles and distance I was able to do some more hills, go futher in the more desirable less traffic area, etc.

Well, when I got back there was a note on the windshield. Grateful, the vehicle was still there hindsight. The church said that non-members are not covered for parking on their property, and don't do so without permission etc. The note had a phone # and Pastor's name. I'm planning on calling to apologize and thank him for not having me towed.

I have known other riders that use church lots for their ride starting points. I don't know if it's too much to ask the Pastor if I wrote a letter or something freeing them of property liability, maybe even a $ donation to the church (like a parking rental fee) if they would let me come back?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Miranda
    Last edited by Miranda; 06-08-2008 at 08:18 AM.

I know a lot of churches in my area accept donations fees so I'd suggest that to them.

church parking

Occasionally I have run rides for my bike club and parking is always an issue for those that drive to the start. When we've expected more than a couple of cars, I have made a formal request at a local church to park in their lot, which has never been denied. But I ask every time, and never assume that it's ok. It's not an issue of having enough room for a couple extra cars, it's asking to park for approximatley xx cars for 3-4 hours. They always tell us which corner of the lot to use, and we are careful not to leave behind any trash or debris. So far they have been very willing to have us but looking from their point of view they have every right to refuse - and can always cite insurance if nothing else to dissuade us.

If you had a friend that was a member of that church, maybe they could put in a good word for you and your request.

Good luck.

Today is Sunday.
    Generally that's the day churches have multiple services, and often really need the full parking lot.

Perhaps if you asked what days they could let you park there, and asked what times you should stay away (so the parishoners can park) the church would be ok with it. (some churches have evening services mid-week, but since you're less likely to ride in the evening mid-week than you are on a Sunday morning like you did today, that probably won't matter too much)

My church doesn't mind folks using the lot, as long as it's not during those 3 hours on Sunday mornings. (it gets very crowded with the overlap between services)

ETA: yeah, and offering a donation for the privilege of parking there during times other than Sunday mornings would be a very nice gesture.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-08-2008 at 08:50 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Never parked in a church lot. the only private property i ever park in for bike rides is mall lots; and like you did, out in the far corner of it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I wouldn't try anything on the church lot at the end of our street. No skateboarders, no bicyclists including neighborhood children even if there are no cars on the lot at all, no anything is allowed on their lot or they come out and threaten to call the police. We neighbors have had some major problems with this church and things are getting worse.
    All I can say is I'll never move within almost seeing distance of a church again, certainly not a warehouse o' god like this one!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I would suggest contacting the pastor since he left his number. Maybe if you call and explain why you are parking there and find out if it okay during non-service hours he will let you. A donation would be nice since they do have to maintain their lot.

Is there a school on your route? Most of the schools here do not mind people using their lots for parking on weekends, especially now that it is summer.

For commuting DH and I park at a large grocery store. So far there has not been an issue, but we park in the back of the lot where customers do not park. The employees park back there but they still have plenty of open slots.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan