Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley

To disable ads, please log-in.

Squished toads, baby turtles, a wrench, and travel size K-Y Jelly.

This wasn't on a ride either. Today my lunch walking partner and I were on our river trail that goes through town. A drunk was staggering towards us. He sat down on the ledge and proceeded to topple over backwards onto the rocks. It happened in slow motion, but he never dropped his cigarette. He ended with his behind in the air with his pants mostly down! Not a pretty sight--to see a big, hairy, bare booty staring at us. We asked him if he needed help. He was so drunk he couldn't even answer us. We walked on to the police dept. and told them he needed help.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    This wasn't on a ride either. Today my lunch walking partner and I were on our river trail that goes through town. A drunk was staggering towards us. He sat down on the ledge and proceeded to topple over backwards onto the rocks. It happened in slow motion, but he never dropped his cigarette. He ended with his behind in the air with his pants mostly down! Not a pretty sight--to see a big, hairy, bare booty staring at us. We asked him if he needed help. He was so drunk he couldn't even answer us. We walked on to the police dept. and told them he needed help.
    he couldn't answer you, then he would have dropped his cigarette!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody View Post
    It happened in slow motion, but he never dropped his cigarette.
    Ok, that made me laugh!!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    What a find I had yesterday! It was my birthday and the street goddess gave me a beautiful, perfect little plastic T-Rex. I was stopped at a light during my morning commute, kind of spacey because I had just finished my Crossfit workout and was generally feeling llike Jell-O. I looked down, and there it was, looking back up at me. I picked it up and it is now affixed to the Bob Jackson. Now the next time that school bus pulls up with its mirror 2 inches from my head, I can RRRRAAAAAAWWWWRRRR!!! at it with my T-Rex.

Life is good.

This dinosaurs twin brother is in the office of my faculty supervisor...grrr baby!!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    This morning, I found an ID cluster (about 4 IDs on a strap! ) for a guy who works at Walter Reed. I recognized the picture on the ID - he's a bike commuter and I had ridden with him before when our paths crossed. I stuffed the IDs in my jersey pocket and continued my ride. About 10 minutes later, I saw him riding back on the opposite side of the street. He was riding like he was obviously looking for something on the ground. I called for him to stop, waited for traffic to clear, and he came back around to me.
    "Did you lose your ID?" I asked.
    "Yeah. It fell out of my bag. I didn't realize my bag was open."
    Fortunately, the ID was the only thing he lost out of the bag.
    I gave him back his ID and off we rode. It certainly made my morning easier, b/c now I don't have to figure out how to track him down!

On a hike up to a cinder cone, DH and I found the inner shell of a pond. We figure it must have just blown up there. I can't imagine anyone hiking that around!

After I told a friend how I'd gotten into the habit of using the roadside on this Omaha trip, he sent the following to me:
    The unexpected benefits . . . when are YOU going to find something this neat? Should be soon, at the rate you're using the bushes . . .
    For an elderly Australian tourist on a trip to the northwest of Queensland, nipping into the bushes to relive himself, a sort of unscheduled toilet stop has surprising consequences as he stumbled over the exposed remains of a 100 million year old marine reptile.

Lucky Pennies

On todays ride our club was crossing through an intersection. I was rolling through and spotted at least 20 pennies on the road. I made it through the intersection and had to turn back. Lucky pennies in the road...can't leave them behind. So I went back and gathered them up and made it back to the pack.
    I handed out one to each of the women on the ride to put in their seat bag...have to share the luck. I still had about 5 when I got home for my girls piggybank!

On nearly every ride in the urban/tourist part of town: Coins. Sometimes just a penny. Once about 40 pennies. Nickles, dimes, quarters - at least once for each.

A few years ago in suburbia: A nearly full box of unopened packages of contractor type orange foam ear plugs. I spent about 10 minutes picking them all up. I wasn't sure how I'd get them home - until I found the box they came from.

A few years ago in a rural area: A lovely bright red wide brimmed woman's hat - in middle of the road, not yet run over. I stopped and wondered what to do with the hat for a while. In the end, I tied it to a nearby fence post. When I rode by a day or two later, the hat was gone.

A week ago in the tourist zone: A Leatherman multi-tool. The saw and knife blades showed heavy use. Because I had no cargo capacity at all, I'd have had to a) leave it, but I figured I deserved this prize as much as any other passerby; b) hold it in my hand for the rest of my ride, which wasn't practical; or c) put it in the coin pocket of my biking skort, which may have resulted in a torn skort. In the end I decided to d) anonymously gift it to a friend who lived nearby.

I don't know if this is really a find but I recently saw "Elvis" driving a red convertible Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by ivorygorgon View Post
    On a hike up to a cinder cone, DH and I found the inner shell of a pond. We figure it must have just blown up there. I can't imagine anyone hiking that around!
    what is a pond? A body of water? an inner shell? can you explain?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I think she means one of those small ready-made ponds that people put in the back of their suburban landscapes.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Last night I found a perfectly fine ponytail holder while mountain biking. So I took it home and washed it with dish soap. I am always losing mine, so why pass up a good one?

I also pick up bike tubes on trail. Someone else was too lazy to carry it after a flat but I can patch it.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

We found a digital camera one time.
    pedal pusher