Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am going to do it!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am committed to biking to work at least once a week this summer. I have never done this before, and I am pretty new to biking. I know I have a lot to learn! Tonight I am going to bike the route to see how long it will take me. Wish me luck!

There are a few scary big hills towards the end of the route that I might bypass tonight, though...

Good luck It's good that you practice the route so you know what to look for...

Hey Lucky ! I am an oldtimer cyclist just getting back into it after never really taking anything seriously before. Now mid forties, last time I really took bike commuting seriously was my mid twenties. I still own a car, but I have this dream of gradually getting into it, ever so incrementally , by park~n~ride. I am also going for rides from home just to get in some 'fitness base miles' , now more than once a week. I live at the top of a mountain and have a collosal climb, so I park near town to commute to errands & such, planning to gradually drive less over the months ahead. It's more the habit of using the bicycle as a car, locking, using panniers, remembering all the gear and stashing it.... all which is a major hill to hurdle, metaphorically speaking, as far as building a steadfast habit.

So yeah, the cycling fitness part is just a part of bicycle commuting, actually, to some people like me, but certainly a luxury and a perk when it starts to gel. I so much encourage you, and you can feel free to PM me and we can both goose each other along. It's so difficult sometimes to choose not to drive, but it feels so incredible when we ride instead of driving, doesn't it?
    Last edited by jayjay; 05-06-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Saving Myself ~ One Bike Ride At A Time

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely know what you mean about it being a habit. And I do have a bike rack now, so that makes park n ride a lot easier. Though, I am not exactly sure where to park...? Tooling around town is easy, and the grocery store is pretty near by, though it is much more expensive than the one in the next town, which I would have to drive to. I guess I will have to weigh the cost benefits as far as that goes.

I didn't make it through the whole route yesterday. I hit one medium sized hill and it about killed me. I was really huffing and puffing. I felt awesome having tackled it, but was really scared that I would not have made it up those big, daunting hills closer to work. I think what I am going to do it bring my bike to work with me, and practice on them over my lunch hours.

I feel weird wondering what motorists think of me when they see me crawling ever so slowly up a hill. What if I have to get off and walk? I would almost die of embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky, Fabulous View Post
    I feel weird wondering what motorists think of me when they see me crawling ever so slowly up a hill. What if I have to get off and walk? I would almost die of embarrassment!
    Nothing embarrasing about walking up a hill! You're only taking time to smell the roses and admire the view!

Yeah, and what's the alternative if you can't pedal up? Just stand there? Go backwards?

Gotta walk!

Karen

I wonder what motorists would think if they knew what I think of them.
    To motorists, a bike crawling slowly up the hill is no different than a bike "racing" up that same hill, or down it. All bikes are slower than them and that is all they see.
    (Glaring generalities aside.)

I see a lot of people walk their bikes up a hill. It's quite common. If you can make it up the hill without walking it, great. If not, you've got a goal. Either way--you are out on your bike, not in a car or couch.

I wonder what they think of me riding to work in a skirt and heels.

Then I laugh and laugh.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the new perspective One day I will definitely ride around in a skirt and heels, just for my own amusement!

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely know what you mean about it being a habit. And I do have a bike rack now, so that makes park n ride a lot easier. Though, I am not exactly sure where to park...?
    Park at a mall and ride around everywhere in that area you need to be, or to work from there.

I didn't make it through the whole route yesterday. I hit one medium sized hill and it about killed me. I was really huffing and puffing. I felt awesome having tackled it, but was really scared that I would not have made it up those big, daunting hills closer to work. I think what I am going to do it bring my bike to work with me, and practice on them over my lunch hours.
    I know what you mean about hills. Wicked beasts, they are! Remember your granny gears and use them EARLY! What I've found works for me is if I dive into those gears WELL before I might really need them -- if I once get to the point where my heart is pounding, and my breathing seems almost impossible, and my legs are screaming, it's like I'm never going to catch up. If I hit the granny gear right away on what's going to be a big climb, not only do I get to the top, I can sometimes do parts of the hill with "bigger" gears!

I've decided it's all about getting to the top any way I can.

Thing is, no matter what they're thinking, they probably have a bit of admiration going at the same time, cuz they're probably motoring up the hill for a reason! Getting off to walk -- a WHOLE lot less ebarrassing than tipping over would be!

Karen in Boise

I'll second Kano's advise.

When i first started riding hills (and I live on a HUGE one) I would always shift to my lowest (easiest) gear right at the very start, BEFORE my heart rate got out of control. Then take it nice and easy. I would always think about starting at the speed at which i expected to finish. Then as I got used to knowing what speed I could maintain, I would start a little faster.

Actually, before I used this method, I would try to go up the hill fast--somehow I though that I'd get farther up that way (hah!). I remember the day I tried going super slow at the start or the hill...and slow all the way up....but it was the first day I made it all the way home without walking!

Good luck, and happy rides!

Loving your bike = more commuting

I commute almost every day (except for the really cold rainy days because I don't have good waterproof gear and I don't feel safe wearing my hood underneath my helmet because it limits my peripheral field).

I love my bike and I love riding it I think the best way to ensure you'll commute is to make sure your ride is comfortable and fun So hopefully if your bike is in good working condition and fits you well, you'll be eager to ride it! I look forward to my ride to and from work every day It gives me good time to relax (well, depending upon motorists I suppose...) and get some fresh air.

Good luck commuting!
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Good for you for not only riding to work, but for tackling those monster hills. I'm a definite hill slug, but as long as I make it up (spinning or walking) I'm happy with myself and you should be, too.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

there is nothing wrong in walking. i do that also. I have this big hills which still i can not climb all the way. i walk on that hill. Initially i used to think same way you are thinking, but think of this.. all motorist ride in car just because either they can not even walk on hills or they are lazy. we are atleast trying. and one day i will climb that hill. thats my goal.

Happy riding.

Yes, I definitely have a few "goal hills" around here. I actually brought my bike to work with me today so that I can tackle some of those hills on my lunch hour. I am at the point where I have the "make it up the hill as fast as possible" mentality. I just want it to be over with! I will try switching to a lower gear earlier on and see how far that gets me. Thanks for all your advice!