Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How Do You Mount Your U-Lock?

To disable ads, please log-in.

For those of us with U-locks, how do you mount yours to your bike? I have two U-locks, one for just my bike and a longer one for me and hubby's bike when we're out together. I had been attaching the shorter one onto my rear rack with one of those reflective velcro things which seems to work well but it makes such a racket when I hit bumps. The longer one came with a bracket but I don't see where on my bike I could put it. If anyone has pictures of their U-lock get-up I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

I don't know whether you'd count mine as a "u-lock". It is one, but has an ultra-short shackle and can only be used with a chain or cable. It lives hanging from the left-side seat rail when not working.

I used to have a conventional Krypto long-shackle lock, the kind they later found could be opened with a ballpoint pen cap or similar. That one lived in a dedicated holder fastened to the seat tube when not working. I don't have frame-mounted water bottles, so it didn't interfere with anything.

mine is in a little bag behind my seat.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mine came with a bracket for mounting it on the frame. I have that on the seat tube of my commuter, just high enough to clear my water bottle. I just throw the lock into the panniers on my road bike.

I attach my U-lock to my back rack with short bunji cords. The short ones hook nicely on each side of where the rack connects to the wheel of the bike and hold the U-lock in place. It keeps the noice down and keeps them on tight.

for my commuter bike i have these nifty little devices that let you attach it to the handlebars, it sounds awkward but the weight is balanced right in the middle and it's been the best thing for me...gotta find a weblink for y a....

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcart...53/1226102.htm

backpack (but I have so many bikes).

3 mile commute: over the handlebars, where it rattles and hits me in the leg. I had to take it out of the trunk bag, because the bag would list precipitously to one side or the other (and it fell out the day I didn't zip the bag closed).
    Nothing says love like safety bling.

Quote Originally Posted by atombessy View Post
    for my commuter bike i have these nifty little devices that let you attach it to the handlebars, it sounds awkward but the weight is balanced right in the middle and it's been the best thing for me...gotta find a weblink for y a....

http://www.boomerdirect.shoppingcart...53/1226102.htm
    Oh, those are really neat! There may be room up there for that and my Garmin.

I dug around and found the mounts for my U-lock and installed them on Friday. So far, so good but I am still using the velcro strip to hold it to the rack in one place just in case the mount doesn't hold. I did 32 miles on Saturday and a lot of it was quite bumpy and it didn't seem to move a bit.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Purchased 2 U Locks this Summer

Got some U Locks this Summer.
    Mounted Kryptonite Long Shackle between seat tube and left crank arm.
    Bottom of U rests on bottom bracket for support.

Master Force 3 long shackle lock had a nice bracket that allowed
    lock to swing towards
    the rear of the bike and rest on the left seat stay.

Hope this helps. BStephens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeftSeatTubeBottomBracket.JPG 
Views:	4987 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	6881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MasterSideMount.jpg 
Views:	5416 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	6882  

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by bstephens View Post
    Got some U Locks this Summer.
    Mounted Kryptonite Long Shackle between seat tube and left crank arm.
    Bottom of U rests on bottom bracket for support.

Master Force 3 long shackle lock had a nice bracket that allowed
    lock to swing towards
    the rear of the bike and rest on the left seat stay.

Hope this helps. BStephens
    On one of my former bikes I did have my Ulock mounted in exactly the same way as you have it BST.

But it depends on bike geometry. Unfortunately for my present bikes, I have no choice but to carry the bloody lock inside my bike pannier. I dislike it on top of my back bike rack, for the constant rattling while going over bumps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by atombessy View Post
    for my commuter bike i have these nifty little devices that let you attach it to the handlebars
    And it doubles as aerobars
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager