Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Question Group Riding Skills

Hi Ladies... Have some questions for you about group rides, and basically learning how to ride with others.

I've had my bike just a couple seasons. Still developing my own riding skills, but have come a ways since day 1. I'm to a point where I would like to enhance my cycling by finding some others to ride with.

I know of a local club I'd like to try out, but I don't have a clue on what to do in a group. Sorry this is so simpleton, but... who rides where, and how do you know when to stop/start?

Basically, what procedures are normally followed so I hopefully don't cause a big Fred pile up crash and can never show my face again .

I know pace lines take a lot of skill, and have a very specific procedure for that. But what about my club ride situation?

TYIA for any pointers!

For the most part, take your cues from the rest of the group, because different clubs are different.

"Who rides where?" You can ride two abreast when traffic conditions permit, if you want to converse with someone, and if you feel your handling skills are up to it. The ride leader may or may not physically lead the ride, and there may or may not be a "sweep" rider designated as the very end of the pack. If it's not a paceline, then there may be times when you will pass or be passed by other riders in the group (mostly on hills) - alert them that you are passing by calling "On your left," and giving them plenty of room, same as you would do for a rider or walker who's not part of your group.

Google "vehicular cycling" for some good information on lane position - or search this board, I know there have been links posted to nice videos.

"How do you know when to stop/start?" You are a vehicle, so you're required to obey all stop signs and stoplights. Many riders will roll through a traffic control device after slowing WAY down and making sure there's no oncoming traffic (although this is still illegal, and if a LEO sees it, they're justified in ticketing you). Always signal when you brake, both by hand signal (same as the one you use in a car) and audibly ("Braking!" "Stopping!" "Slowing!").

Always point out obstructions in the road to the rider(s) behind you, by pointing at them with your finger. In some clubs it's customary to audibly identify the hazard, too, and it never hurts to do that ("Hole!" "Gravel!" "Roadkill!")

Do you know anything about your local club? Many clubs have specific rides for newbies, and groups that travel at varying paces. When you show up for your first ride, let the ride leader know that you don't have much experience riding in a group. Helmets are usually required for group rides, but you wear yours all the time anyway, right?

And have fun!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hi Miranda - the others here will probably have some useful tips for you. I just joined a club recently after many years of riding alone, and was pretty nervous about doing something wrong Turned out it was no problem at all. I started with an easy Sunday ride, and made it quite clear to the ride leader that I was new at group riding and to please TELL ME if I was doing something wrong, not just mumble behind my back... In fact the ride leader briefed us all on what to do in advance, and yelled LOUDLY if something needed changing, like if we were going too fast or somebody had flatted.

Whenever I rode next to somebody I asked how long they'd been in the club (surprisingly many were newbies like me) and the ones with experience I then asked about why are we doing this, what's the procedure for that etc.

Basically I just talked to people, rode in a straight line, made no sudden moves, paid attention both forward and behind me, kept my nose clean and all was well And if somebody flatted or had trouble I stopped to help, good karma and all that.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

We have a great tutorial on our website -- it's on the bottom of the page, written by the husband of one of our members after a bad crash on a ride we were all doing (two broken ribs for me...)

http://www.sorellacycling.com/calendar.htm
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    These are not entirely serious, but here goes...

1. If the person in front of you swerves, it might be a good idea to do the same or else you might end up hitting a big pothole (of course, if the people in the group are good about pointing out hazards this won't be an issue).
    2. This should go without saying, but if launching a snot rocket, watch out for those behind you.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

As Oakleaf has suggested, each group is different so you might want to show up to your first ride a little early, find the ride leader (assuming there is one), introduce yourself and ask if she/he or anyone else would be willing to mentor you during the ride. Otherwise, ask if they can tell you what to expect.

Every group has a different personality. I love our local club, but I've heard complaints from others that it can be intimidating to new riders (or riders new to the club). Sometimes, we're so engaged in what we're doing--preparing our bikes, saying hello to old friends, talking about the route--that we may unintentionally ignore someone new. So, I think it pays to be outgoing; don't wait for people to welcome you. Introduce yourself instead. You'll make friends in no time.

Whether riding in a loose group or a paceline, you should strive to ride predictably, keeping a safe distance from other riders and maintaining a steady line. Use voice and hand signals to indicate any road hazards, to indicate that you or the group is slowing, coming to a stop, turning right or left, etc. Announce "car up," "car back" and "car around" as necessary. Be mindful of where riders are around you and announce your presence if you're coming up behind someone or overtaking them. Obviously, you should follow the rules of the road. If someone is making you uncomfortable because of their own erratic riding, keep your distance.

Every group is different as to whether there's a no drop policy. If there isn't one, make sure you have a route map or know what the route markings look like. As always, be prepared, even in a group. Have the gear you need to change a flat, adequate food and water, take a pre-ride potty break, etc.

Have fun. Group riding, while not for everyone, is a blast and a good way to make friends.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher