Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New to Cycling in St. Pete/Largo Area

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All -
    I just recently started riding about 2 months ago. My boyfriend rides pretty heavily and my best friend for 14 years has done it so it's been around my life pretty much well a LOT. It's nice to have something that I can share with them finally, and it keeps me in shape. I love it.
    I got a 2007 Trek 1000 WSD off of Craig's List with a Wireless Cateye for 360.00! I was quite happy with my purchase. The bike stated it was 42 miles when I got it the first weekend in Feb. It is not the end of March and has 240.00 Needless to say I love doing this for a commuter and sport and wish I had gotten into this a lot sooner.
    Does anyone have any pointers to give a newbie out there?? Is there maybe a forum in the St. Pete area of women or something I could maybe meet up with to ride and learn how to ride with a group?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everyone!

Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to TE.

~Sg
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Welcome! It's great that you are commuting. How far is your daily ride, and what kind of roads and traffic do you contend with?

Hey!
    I am over in Ft.Lauderdale, but I know some people in the St.Pete/Largo area(err my ex used to live there, but he just moved to Alabama). I can ask him if he has any ideas, or any shops to head you towards to point you towards rides at your ability level!

I live in St. Pete. I have been riding for awhile now. There is the St. Pete Bike Club. I find it not the most friendly and the club rides are not really good about teaching group riding--but more survivial. I should be kinder to my bike club--I am a member--but my perspective and experieince is that at speeds higher that 16mph groups are not all that friedly.

My partner and riding buddy do ride a lot and have a team for the MS 150. She is actually riding the Bike Ride Across Florida. We are truly endurance bikers and not speed.

If you want to we can email and discuss other rides, etc in this area.
    katluvr

Welcome! Sounds like you are getting some hits... good luck with the group rides!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thanks everyone!
    Sorry it took me a bit to respond back..
    to answer everyone's questions :-)
    a) My commute is about 5 miles one way, so I end up doing about 10 miles a day total. I'm trying to do every other day for now as it is somewhat hard getting motivated in the mornings.

I would love to talk about group rides. I know someone who is considering the bike across America. Could you give me more information on this?
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I will try to contact you individually since you can't respond/reply to one post at a time (maybe I'm doing something wrong here) :-)