Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Gutted

Unhappy Gutted

To disable ads, please log-in.

So depressed.
    Just discovered my new(ish) Litespeed road bike has a small dent in the aluminium top tube, together with a small crack above and below it, which couldn't have happened in the few weeks I've had it - been treating it with kid gloves.
    Annoyed with myself that I didn't notice it earlier, but it's not in an easy-to-spot area.
    The LBS have been really good and agreed to take it back, with a full refund - but it was in the end of season sale, and they don't have the equivalent replacement at that price.
    I'm absolutely gutted.
    On the plus side, it means I get to legitimately go round bike shops again, but I'm now debating whether I should make do with my winter hack and buy a bike when I get to NZ, to save the shipping.

Started off on a really bad note this morning too - got a rear punture in the pouring rain, on the way to the gym. By the time I'd changed the tube, I was late for my spinning class and it was full.
    Very twisty-faced this morning!
    Why do punctures always happen in the rain and on the back?!!!

Also got my inlaws staying all weekend, so no biking for me

Sorry, rant over.
    Feel better now!
    It's nearly the weekend - hope you have a lovely one ladies!
    Life is Good!

Hope your day improves!

On the plus side, a new bike would make one terrific NZ "souvenir"!

Have they contacted Litespeed? If you've only had this bike a few weeks and it was new from the bike shop (not a re-sale), shouldn't Litespeed be involved in a warranty issue?

Gutted

Wow that's a real graphic description of how you feel. I can relate (on a smaller scale) I have been sans my bike for a month. The builder keeps telling me, " it will be done this week" . BTW not a new bike but a test bike for a new company. I hope you have a better day today, and it sounds like purchasing in NZ would be a good idea, unless you can get a stellar deal. Good luck,
    donna

Hi SnappyPix - what a bummer about your lovely Litespeed! Your LBS ought to send it back to the manufacture, especially if it's new, for them to have a look at it.

About getting another bike - although you'll have the transportation costs etc I'd suggest getting another bike over here before you travel. For a start there's a much wider range over here, it's a lot easier to order a bike over from Europe, esp fancy rides like Pinnarello,Colnago, De Rosa ( if that's what you're in to ).

I've never actually been to New Zealand so I don't know any NZ land frame makers but I would guess the range would be less and you'd probably end up paying more for a bike that's been imported from elsewhere in the world.

You could also wow your new Kiwi cycling friends with a snazzy foreign bike all the way from the UK!

What rotten luck! A really good argument for having at least two non-beater bikes in your stable - a girl can't live without a trusty steed!

I can soo relate to you . I am finally getting my steed working again after a crash bent a tube in sept. I had a seatstay bend in an inch, had to replace it and not enough money to do it all. Not about to get a 1992 steel frame replaced. The Litespeed though should be very much a warranty item, regardless of the time away from sale. If Giant(my bikes) can give a lifetime warranty, then they will.
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

Thanks to everyone for letting me get things off my chest!
    Have now been fully refunded and waved goodbye to my baby yesterday - the LBS are sending it back to Litespeed.
    I'm currently now mulling over all the different specs of the different models. Thinking about the Specialized Allez Elite (taking one for a test drive, as soon as the right frame size comes in) ... though would really love the Allez Comp for the Ultegra groupset, but my budget won't stretch to that, I'm afraid.
    Likewise the Pinarello, MM - would love to give them a whirl, but out of my league, I suspect! Only have £1000 to spend, which doesn't buy much over here!
    Life is Good!

Smile

Hey there snappy.

Just thought you might like to know, american bikes (Giant, Scott, GT, Trek, Marin, Bauer, etc.) are pretty readily available here, but European ones are a lot less common. The big NZ brand is Avanti. Dunno how well-known they are outside of NZ, but Hamish Carter did win the Olympic triathlon in Athens on one, and Sarah Ulmer smashed the women's 3000m pursuit record on one (although I doubt you'd be able to get your mitts on that bike from your LBS ). Of course, that success may have had more to do with the riders than the machines... Also, your £1000 is equivalent to just over NZ$2600, which, as far as I know, should get you a mid-range road bike (an entry-level bike could cost you anything from $800-$1500, again, as far as I know - tend to drool over things with suspension rather than them skinny little bikes).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 03-05-2005 at 11:52 PM.

tlkiwi,
    Thanks for the insider info! That's great, I haven't made a decision one way or the other, so I'll check out the Avanti website too.
    Life is Good!