Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I tried it. I did not like it. I really, really wanted to like it. I've been drooling over it for more than a year. When it finally was released, I made my LBS order it for me and nagged them until it arrived. I thought it would be perfect--wide enough across the rear, get out of the way where I didn't want it and T-shaped to get rid of that chafing.

Alas, with my 175mm Sport Road wide model and great enthusiasm, I put it on the trainer. Yuck. Way, way, way too soft in the sit area (sigh...why do saddle manufacturers think wide must be poofy?). With the air pillow in, there was too much pressure on the bits; with the air pillow out, I fell off the rear. Its hard to explain, but the sit area was so soft that without any support in the nose, sitting compressed the rear and...whoosh...into the cutout area I'd slide.

I tried nosing up, shoving the saddle forward (the rails were too short to get it really far forward), nosing down (hey, I really, really wanted the saddle to work and I was willing to try anything!), nose flat...nothing. The saddle just didn't work for me.

So, for now, I'm back to my Selle SMP Lady Strike. Chafes a little, but a good cutout and wide enough to just support the pelvis. And, yes, this vegetarian even broke down and tried a Brooks B68, but, alas, I need a cutout. However, Brooks says if the B17 Imperial trials go well, there will be a B68 Imperial at year end. The real question is whether the nether regions will last that long....sigh...

bummer Thorn !
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Yeah, me ol' bum is a bit bummed, too!

But, the bright side was that I actually got the Brooks marketing person to respond to my email about the possibilty that a B68 Imperial might some day exist. So, while my Topeak Allays dreams have been smashed, they have been replaced by the hopes and dreams that Brooks moves forward with their cutout and really does make a B68 Imperial.

We all need hope that our perfect saddle is out there....somewhere....

Thorn,

Thanks for the information -- that is really exactly the information I was looking for. I wondered about many of the aspects of this saddle that you mentioned. I really think I need a cutout too as I've always had problem with chafing in the girly bits when I didn't have one. Right now I'm looking at the Specialized Ruby SL and Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow saddles. In the meantime, I'll go back to my Terry Butterfly in order not to continue injuring myself!

I really appreciate it as you just saved me $50 -- I felt that this saddle was probably too good to be true, and too complicated for me with the air pump and everything. I like to keep things simple whenever possible!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Another saddle disappointment...add it to the list

Oh no. Another possibly good idea resulting to disappointment.....too bad.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

I have the allay saddle on order, should arrive tomorrow.

how'd it go?

Any update from those of you using the Allay? I was in the US for a bit and got to try the Jett at a LBS - I was thinking it would work, and the channel width was right (length could have been a hint longer for me) but the sides of the channels were like rocks... So, my 2nd thought was the Allay.

Thanks for any info...

Shape is great. But the air pillow slowly loses air and eventually makes it sag in the middle, in the MOST uncomfortable way. Until they fix that, I wouldn't buy it again. I have one that we will try to prop up in the middle with foam, maybe.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Shape is great. But the air pillow slowly loses air and eventually makes it sag in the middle, in the MOST uncomfortable way. Until they fix that, I wouldn't buy it again. I have one that we will try to prop up in the middle with foam, maybe.
    well that's a drag, you haven't even had it that long!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

bummer...

That's a bummer...

Does anyone else have experience with the Allay? Any different - or the same?

I got one to try and while I love the concept, the nose was way to narrow for my apparently wide ischial rami bones. Hubby rides it and really likes it. I ended up in the Selle SMP strike lady.