Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorty-shorts?

To disable ads, please log-in.

i live at the beach so tan lines are a big part of my life. i spend a lot of time outdoors in the warmer months - walking at the beach after work, boogie boarding on the weekends, etc. and this year i will be riding my new bike outdoors!

after reading about the baggie shorts riding up, i sent back a pair that i ordered and had just received! that is one thing that i can't tolerate - creeping shorts!

lol, irulan - reread about the "flab" - i can totally identify with that!
    Last edited by photosRphun; 03-03-2005 at 07:26 AM. Reason: reread the previous post and wanted to add more to my post

If you REALLY don't want tan lines, Zoot makes those swim briefs with a very tiny chamois in them for triathletes. They sell them here on TE. Here's a link:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=14527

Zoot also makes a 3" inseam tri short, but again, the chamois is very thin.

Another "no" vote for short shorts. I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering.

I think they have their place:a) triathlons b) short-legged women c)women under the age of 20 who have not given birth and have body fat of less than 12%.

For me, cycling shorts are gear. Gear is driven by function. Bike shorts are designed to support and warm the big cycling muscles; longer shorts cover and protect the quads and hamstrings.

well, i think pedalfaster just about settled THAT dilema for me.

Not only do short shorts hit you on the inner thigh where it ain't so flattering, but your skin is then exposed and can chafe on the saddle or brush the poison oak or get owies during unexpected appts with the ground.

Of course, I'd rather have NO tan lines -- the sun is very unsafe! -- but it cannot be avoided if I want to ride in the daylight.

I never had problems with the shorties riding up, nor do I much care what I look like from the back when I'm pedaling (look at your own risk!). My legs are so long the 7-inch inseam shorts hit above mid-thigh, and the shorties are almost like the boy-short bikinis. I just can't find a pair that's comfortable, although I suspect I bought the Terry's a size too large.

Warm muscles aren't much of an issue in spring / summer as they are in the fall and winter -- I've already packed away the thermal jersey and tights. And if I'm in poison oak at all I've got bigger problems than the length of my shorts.

Thanks for all the input everybody! I think I'll try the Performance Ultras and maybe the Sugar Shorts. I like most of my PI stuff so they've earned a trial spot.

Happy weekend and happy riding!

I prefer the shorter inseams since I hate covered legs(in a modest way ). The have to be long enough to cover the seat though.
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

I have to cast a vote for the "shorties." That could be because I am on the short side at 5'1. I was a happy, happy person when the shorter inseam shorts became available! I tucked up the legs of the longer short for years! Not the most comfortable but I just do not like tan lines down by the knees. So it's partly a vanity thing - I can admit that. When you are short to begin with, wearing long shorts, either on or off the bike, makes it look like there is no upper leg at all!

If it was truly uncomfortable or caused problems while riding, I'd stay with the longer shorts but as long as they are long enough to keep my skin from rubbing on the saddle, it works. I've never had problems with any shorts, long or short, riding up, as long as they were decent shorts and fit correctly to begin with. If they get old enough so that the elastic doesn't keep them down, then it's time to dispose of them.

Pedalfaster, you've got me confused when you say >>I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering. <<
    Don't you see the bend of the knee whether the shorts are long or short inseams?

It seems to boil down to individual preferences, as do so many things. It is fun to read other views!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Pearl Izumi makes a shorty that I love for spinning indoors. The don't ride up at all and they are super comfortable. The chamois is fairly thin so I'm not sure how they'd do for a long ride. I haven't tried them for more than an hour ride because I'm sensitive in front anyway. I have to wear a thicker chamois when riding outdoors/long distance.
    Last edited by doc; 03-04-2005 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by annie
    Pedalfaster, you've got me confused when you say >>I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering. <<
    Don't you see the bend of the knee whether the shorts are long or short inseams?
    annie
    It's not actually the bend, but what that bending of the knee does to women's legs. Let's face it; *most* (but certainly not all) women carry of bit of fat on the thighs (probably some function of childbearing?).

When viewed from the side, with the knee bent, this little pocket of fat tends to bunch up (yeah that's the technical term ). With longer shorts, this spot is covered/contained. With shorter shorts it's not.

Now, if you are wearing short shorts for function, and not glamour, then who cares, right?

But, I will say that *some* (again not all) of the women I see wearing them are, uhm, well the type who DO care about how they look. And let's face it "Hey Alice, those shorts make your legs look fat" is not the kind of thing a friend will tell you on a ride

It was just a heads-up for those wanting to try short-shorts for the first time.

Wear what makes you happppy.

Thumbs up Standing in the Shower Thinking

Ever have those great thoughts in the shower?

I was thinking about this thread after posting.

I was thinking how any woman who is willing to throw her leg over a bike and go out in public, dressed in clown-bright colors, lycra, and shoes that make her walk like a duck, pretty much has to have a sense of humor or a healthy self-esteem. Both probably.

So just remember ladies: even the "coolest" bike racer/rider still looks like a big freakin' dork to 99% of the civilians (non-biking public) out there.

If you started cycling for the fashion...well you picked the wrong sport!

Ride on.....

i'm sitting here and can't help but laugh at this thread. i'm wondering WHAT in the world we are even talking about - the roll of flab at the knees when the knees are bent? i can't wait to get home and look in the mirror as i bend my knees to see if i have this roll that everyone is discussing here! heaven forbid if i do!

I was thinking how any woman who is willing to throw her leg over a bike and go out in public, dressed in clown-bright colors, lycra, and shoes that make her walk like a duck, pretty much has to have a sense of humor or a healthy self-esteem. Both probably

this made me crack up even more to get a visual here! thanks for the laughs today!

from what I hear from the guys, they like the rear view of lycra, and you can be assured they aren't looking at knees.....

~I
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan
    from what I hear from the guys, they like the rear view of lycra, and you can be assured they aren't looking at knees.....

~I
    Great excuse to start sprinting
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

"Great excuse to start sprinting"

And don't think I haven't!!!