Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie

Talking Another newbie

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have joined the ranks and bought a new bike and am overwhelmed by all there is to learn about cycling. i have only been able to ride my bike once because i'm home recovering from surgery so during my recovery period, i've been lurking on this forum soaking up all sorts of useful info. i have already bought a pair of cycling shoes (SPD) and just have to decide on the pedals. when the doctor releases me to ride (hopefully in a couple of weeks) i will go back to my LBS and talk to the guys there and get trained on using the clipless pedals. that parts scares me!

just wanted to say thanks for all the useful info that i've received just from reading your posts. i know that i need to purchase a couple of jerseys and some cycling shorts as well. i just need to go try on some and see what fits.

what is the difference in the number of panels in a pair of shorts? the more panels the better? i have no clue what that means? are jerseys without elastic more comfy than ones without elastic?

Welcome Photo

Welcome to the board! Isn't this a great place to just lurk? Not a clue what the difference in the panels means....but someone here will know. I usually go for the weight - coz believe me the first time I wore a pair of lighter weight shorts in the winter was the Last time I did! Anyway, for some grins and giggles - heres a "getting to know you" thread. gives you a chance to learn who we are, and if you're so inclined,,,,,tell us who you are! Good luck on the recovery!

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2001
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

thanks CorsAir for the encouragment and the words of wisdom on the weight of the shorts! see, i had no clue about that either. have you ever tried the loose fit shorts? do you like those?

btw, how do you get those cute little smilies in your responses?

More panels allows 2 things - strategic placement of the seams as well as a more exact fit. The more panels can mean the shorts don't move around on you as much on the ride or that the shorts stretch in the right places (no binding). You'll find that more panels cost more but you'll also find nicer items like better chamois and flat-stitched seams (do I have the right terminology, Irulan?). All this means comfort and no chafing, or at least less chafing.

SK

Hi, photos! with shorts....if you can afford it, buy the best chamois....everything else will be good too. I love the Louis Garneau shorts I have - the chamois is amazing with several different thicknesses in all the right places. Absolutely, without a doubt, buy shorts with a chamois made for a woman!! If there's a seem in the middle you will be sad!!

as for pedals, I highly recommend the candy SL. I use these on both my road bike and my mountain bike. I can swap them myself as they attach with a regular allan key. I've never had a problem with mud or getting out when I need to. And they are LIGHT! (the ti ones are lighter...)

As for learning to use them: I recommend using them on a trainer. Practice spinning, but more importantly, practice getting in and out of them. Once you go SPD, either on the road or on the trails, you'll never want to go back! You have such better power and control it's fantastic!

As for your jersey - make sure it fits well...try a bunch on, definitely buy a ladies cut so it fits you right. I've never thought much about the elastic....yeah, I think the one without that I use sometimes is a bit more comfy, but it doesn't seem to have a big impact for me.

I hope your recovery from surgery is going well. are you making progress every day? That's got to be the best part of it, isn't it?

Welcome to the crazy world of wheels! Enjoy!!

Namaste,
    ~T~

Quote Originally Posted by photosRphun
    thanks CorsAir for the encouragment and the words of wisdom on the weight of the shorts! see, i had no clue about that either. have you ever tried the loose fit shorts? do you like those?

btw, how do you get those cute little smilies in your responses?
    Do you mean the baggy shorts that some mountainbikers wear? They have a liner kinda like an ordinary bike short, but are generally made of different fabrics. You can get ones that are permanently attached to the outer shorts and ones where the liners are removable. I much prefer baggies as I'm just not ready for the lycra look (nor will I ever be, unless I metamorphasize into a racer or a roadie). You really do need to make sure that the liners are nice and fitting still; mine were always so-so (they were cheap and I was poor), but now that I've been using 'em for a year, they suck - the moment I get onto some undulating terrain where I'm up and down and moving around more, they creep all over the place.

And you should see a box with eleven smilies just to the right of where you type your post. You just click on the one you want and it gets inserted after whatever you've typed.

Red face <---comes from the smilie panel under the comment box

I tried baggies 1 time - I will also admit that was waaaaaay back when they first came out with them...Hated them!! I spent the whole ride pulling the legs outta my crotch area where they kept bunching up between my crotch and the seat. I'm not Gods gift to women but give me lycra shorts anyday over the baggies. As for jerseys - try both mens and womens! I'm a big boned, big busted woman and I bought 2 womens specific jerseys.....they fit perfect when I bought them but I hated them while riding. They were just tooooo seamed (princess seaming) and the armholes were too tight. It also irks me that most womens jerseys have shorter zippers and only 2 pockets!! (see the smilie panel on the right?) I wear mens jerseys, have for years. As for the elastic, I order the mens chest size that matches my hips and I've never had problems with riding up. Course - when I first started riding seriously waaaay back, they didn't Make womens riding clothes so it could be thats what I got used to. I also buy mens short - old habits die hard I guess!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

First - congrats on your weight loss - what an accomplishment! And I hope that your recovery from surgery continues to go well too.

On the jersey front, I can't stand elastic in the hem of a jersey - enough so that I won't buy a jersey with elastic in it. The jerseys I'm happiest with are from Shebeest. I don't know if you'll find a size that you like, but it's worth a look - and they do have them on the TE site if you're looking to buy online.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by photosRphun
    i too am big boned and may find the men's jerseys better proportioned to my frame. (btw, i'm still adjusting to my new body as i've lost 125 lbs through diet and exercise over the past 18 months!! )
    photos, Congrats on the weight loss! Losing weight is never easy. I'm still trying to shed more. My doctors want me around 170. I'm 224 at the moment.

As far big boned, I know how that is. I'm korean and very unstereotypically so. I'm not as big as my husband, so his shorts that I were borrowing until we could get me my own didn't fit right. They were just too big and didn't have padding in all the right places. Thankfully, I have new shorts (XL women's) that now have padding in the right places. Really makes a difference.

Also, I can't wear a women's XL jersey. I'm just too broad shouldered/fat So, I wear a men's large. Fits fine. At least for the moment. We'll see as I lose more weight.

Mel

good luck melody with the continuing weight loss. it is not an easy thing to do but SO rewarding. i can't even tell you how much better i feel let alone how much better i look (or hope i do anyway!).

i am looking forward to trying on the new jerseys and shorts while keeping in mind all the useful info you all have given me. there is SO much to learn and remember in doing this.

on my maiden voyage on my bike i quickly found out just riding around the neighborhood that i will NOT be able to wear my regular clothes (jeans and a sweatshirt) because the pants kept riding up on me. that was NOT fun. i have better things on which to concentrate and riding pants is not one of them it you kwim. sounds like it will be remember how to clip in and clip out of my new pedals once i get them on my bike.

Thanks Photo. Losing weight is never easy

As for clothes, I never ride in regular clothes. I always change into bike clothes. They're expensive, but you can find deals, esp at shops like Performance, if one is local. Definately try things on to make sure they fit. Very important.

My biggest issue with regular pants is that when I get off of the bike, the crotch area tends to snag the saddles, which in turn makes me go off balance, which causes me to fall... and the bike comes with.

Mel

Smile Try These!

Dear Photo,

My first time on ANY board, so sorry if I screw it up.....I am a hipless (or waistless) wonder, depending I guess on how you look at it. I had surgery last year for colon cancer, so I know what you mean about that part....anyway, I got a pair of Terry's pedalpushers recently and LOVE them. The liner is built in and the waist is very adjustable. I am just under 5'2", so I was particularly pleased about the inseam fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    More panels allows 2 things - strategic placement of the seams as well as a more exact fit. The more panels can mean the shorts don't move around on you as much on the ride or that the shorts stretch in the right places (no binding). You'll find that more panels cost more but you'll also find nicer items like better chamois and flat-stitched seams (do I have the right terminology, Irulan?). All this means comfort and no chafing, or at least less chafing.

SK
    yes, dear.
    More panels = a better anatomical fit. The shorts can be built "shaped" for cycling. 6 or 8 is most common for a anatomical fit.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Congrats to both ladies on their successful weightloss - always a struggle, ain't it???

I have more of a problem with men's jerseys than women's. I have hips, and a slightly thinner waist, so the jersey just creeps up and bunches up around my waist. Then, the whole thing starts flapping around. So - women's jerseys are cut for, well, women. Team Estrogen has some plus size jerseys, and Terry has a product line too.

i still can't wait to go to the LBS and try on some of the women's jerseys and shorts. i am so green and clueless about all of this. i do so appreciate all the helpful info you have offered to me personally and thru the message boards.

i did not have a waist until recently and am thin thru the hips as well. i have been eyeing the pearl izumi attack shorts based on some of your recommendations. i don't think my LBS carries this brand so i will have to order online. i have broad shoulders so this may pose a problem with the ladies jerseys but i will have a better feel for that once i am able to go to the LBS and actually try some of these on.

thanks once again for all your support/help/suggestionsencouragement that i've already received and i can't wait until i can FINALLY get on my bike and put this info to good use and have some stories of my own to share.