Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Training for Cyclocross

To disable ads, please log-in.

So my interest has been piqued and I'm wondering how you all train for your cyclocross events. I would love links especially and of course your experience is always fantastic to hear.

How did you get interested in cyclocross? How did you start training?

My friends husband races and he started talking to me about his experience a bit last year about his races, but I didn't think it would be "for me" until a few months ago when I started reading his blog.

TIA for any and all information you have to share...off to search the archives some more

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm not a cyclocross rider, although it's something I want to try. I used to race mountain bikes, and because I couldn't just power over alot of the obstacles, I ended up getting off and climbing/running with my bike (a HEAVY 80s mtb!)

The best advice that I can give you, which may not be very good advice, is to ride, ride, ride. And run. And ride-and-run. Ride in the mud, ride in the cold. Upper body strength is essential, so you'll probably want to incorporate some weights and definitely core work.

There are some cyclocross clubs in some places (Baltimore has a big one). Ride with them or mountain bikers. Enter a race if you want, and see what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Perhaps next year will by my Cyclocross year!

I found out what cyclocross was about 7 years ago when my friend invited me to watch him race. It looked pretty crazy. And fun! I had a mountain bike racing background, so felt somewhat confident to try it. In fact I couldn't wait to try it. The following fall, I jumped in with both feet, and just up and bought a cross bike, before I had even tried doing a race. I took that bike to the next local race, raced it with success, and the rest as they say. . . My story is probably not typical. Most people try a race on a mt. bike or borrow a bike before getting their own 'cross bike.

As for training, again I think I'm atypical. I just don't really train for 'cross. After I learned the techniques, and I did spend my first few seasons woodshedding the techniques, I will literally do my first race of the season now as my first 'cross "practice" of the season. The past 2 seasons I hadn't practiced the dismount and mount a single time until I was going over the barriers at the first race of the season! By the fall I'm fresh off a season of steady mountain biking, road biking and BMX racing, so I don't build up miles for 'cross. And then people hem and haw about the running part. The running question is so over-hyped. In reality there is NOT THAT MUCH running in 'cross. If you learned to walk and run by age 2, you can handle the few steps here and there of running in 'cross. You don't need to practice running as if you're a runner training for a running event. I don't practice any running.

I'm heartened to hear that you'd like to try 'cross. Just remember it doesn't really get cookin' until September. Till then, rock on!
    Last edited by Voodoo Sally; 03-04-2008 at 11:23 AM.

I say go for it, don't be shy, try a race! It's so much fun and I can tell you, it's just as fun if you're way in the back - it's not like road racing where the fun stops once you get dropped!

Like voodoo sally (hey Acadia neighbor!), I was pretty sure I'd find it fun (and did a few club practices on my commuting bike!) so when a friend announced her cross bike was for sale, I swooped in and got a great deal.

Our club held some great practice sessions, and they did a great job of teaching us mounts/dismounts/carrying/barriers - in the races, these were my favorite part! But to be honest, the key to success in races is the other stuff - being fast throughout the course and keeping your speed up through the hills and the deep grass. So I wasn't good in the results column, but in the "fun" column, I had a blast!

I'm originally from the running world, where people enter races all the time, for social reasons, or to challenge themselves, even if they are "slow" with no chance of winning. I don't see that as much in the women's bike world and I think that's a shame - but I think cyclocross has more of a chance than road racing to be more of a participatory sport.

I recently bought a used cross bike but since I injured myself I haven't even tried it out. I do have hopes to do cross one day even tho' I'm pretty new to riding at all. So my advice comes vicariously/observations. I do know that my husband badly tearing his calf muscle during his second cross race did have something to do with the fact that he was not running or stretching enough. I did notice that those who did pretty well tended to have a running background which makes sense but I don't think it has to be hardcore running. I'm sure it helps with endurance and fitness. I think doing shorter intense rides w/ stair running can help.

I've gone to several cross races and I fell in love with the scene - the friendliness, the grilled sausages and belgium beer, the dirtiness of it.and it seemed like it is more welcoming of newbies. If you want to read up, a book I had recommended to me was "Cyclocross: training & technique" by Simon Burney (3rd edition). More than anything like others have already said just go for it cuz you'll be in good company of others doing the same and having lots of fun.

Trinena brings up a good point - in the initial club practices, I got really sore. Now I make sure to warm up the muscles a bit, and then stretch, before I do any mounts and dismounts. I did pull a calf muscle on a run-up (didn't need a doctor visit but bothered me for a month or two), so in addition to stretching the "mount" muscles (groin, hips), I'm going to make sure to focus on my calves too!~

Quote Originally Posted by Ticia View Post
    So my interest has been piqued and I'm wondering how you all train for your cyclocross events. I would love links especially and of course your experience is always fantastic to hear.

How did you get interested in cyclocross? How did you start training?

My friends husband races and he started talking to me about his experience a bit last year about his races, but I didn't think it would be "for me" until a few months ago when I started reading his blog.

TIA for any and all information you have to share...off to search the archives some more
    Spend a lot of time riding your bike during the summer to build up a nice base. Once cross season approaches, you are going to want to ramp up your training and do some higher intensity-type intervals. Start in the beginners race (C race or Cat 4 depending on what your state calls it). Don't be afraid to jump right in and try a race. The people are fun, racing is entertaining and it doesn't matter how well you do or don't do. Results will come with experience and you only get the experience through racing.

You can make barriers in your backyard. Some wire clothes hangers and a little ribbon will suffice (or whatever crafty thing you can come up with). Practice dismounts and mounts. Definitely check with your local Cyclocross community and see if they hold any CX clinics. As there is a lot of technique in mounting and dismounting your bike. If you don't have access to a clinic, watch a race or two from the barrier areas. Make sure you watch the Cat5 all the way up to the Cat1,2 races. You will see a huge difference in the ability when it comes to mounting your bike and it will teach you quite a bit.

You might also want to do some actual "brick" workouts where you mix a small running in between riding. It is one thing to practice mounting and dismounting your bike, but it's completely another to do it while you are actually working out or racing. Your body will only do what you train it to do.

I find Cross to be really challenging, but super fun. I've primarily race mountain bikes and have done that for a number of years. I started racing Cyclocross in 2006 in the Cat. 3 races. I did pretty well overall (won some $$ and took home a trophy for 5th overall for the 2006 series), but it really was a struggle at the beginning....when I was bringing up the back of the pack. But then again it really depended on the course. I obviously did better on the technical courses as my mountain bike skills were helpful. I did awful on the roadie courses and got dropped like yesterday's garbage which was very humbling (and I'm and expert level mountain biker by the way).
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 03-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.

Here is a great website to get you started.

http://www.madcross.org/
    Just keep pedaling.

Quote Originally Posted by obie View Post
    I say go for it, don't be shy, try a race! It's so much fun and I can tell you, it's just as fun if you're way in the back - it's not like road racing where the fun stops once you get dropped!

Like voodoo sally (hey Acadia neighbor!), I was pretty sure I'd find it fun (and did a few club practices on my commuting bike!) so when a friend announced her cross bike was for sale, I swooped in and got a great deal.

Our club held some great practice sessions, and they did a great job of teaching us mounts/dismounts/carrying/barriers - in the races, these were my favorite part! But to be honest, the key to success in races is the other stuff - being fast throughout the course and keeping your speed up through the hills and the deep grass. So I wasn't good in the results column, but in the "fun" column, I had a blast!

I'm originally from the running world, where people enter races all the time, for social reasons, or to challenge themselves, even if they are "slow" with no chance of winning. I don't see that as much in the women's bike world and I think that's a shame - but I think cyclocross has more of a chance than road racing to be more of a participatory sport.
    Your post brought a big to my face. It just looks like a blast. Hard and challenging, but fun. I will have to look into it some more around our area. I should turn my back yard into a little training ground. I rode/ ran my mountain bike around the yard chasing my chickens and children yesterday. That was fun When the blackberry bushes start to come back to life it won't be so fun

Voodoo Sally. Thanks for the encouraging words and words of experience. I'm more worried about all the mounting/ dismounting than anything else. Maybe if I can get in enough miles throughout the spring/summer on both my road & mtn. bike I'll have some legs to try on I love how you just signed up for a race and went for it. Sometimes it's best to dive right in.

Quote Originally Posted by madisongrrl View Post
    Here is a great website to get you started.

http://www.madcross.org/
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for and I have the book on its way from the library that you recommended trinena.

Thanks for all the motivation/thoughts/experience ladies

I am also interested in this. I'm turning 40 in April, do you guys think that has anything to do with it?
    I can do five more miles.

Where in Washington are you (I guess which Washington too.... ). If you are close to Seattle, Cycle U has a great training program in the fall for people who want to give cross a try. There's also a weeknight training series at Marymoor park that has sections for everyone from beginners to experts.

In any case cross actually is pretty friendly to just jumping in and trying it (especially if you have mt bike experince - a little more daunting for a roadie like me ). It's a great community and they won't snub you for just being a beginner.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I am close to Portland; out in east Vancouver, WA. Portland seems to have a very active cyclocross community. Still just doing some fun research, reading, running, riding. How can you go wrong with crazy hard lung/ muscle busting, Belgium beer and DIRT I guess I have to find out first hand in the fall

I'm pretty sure Portland's cross scene is even bigger (a lot bigger ) than Seattle's.

If you haven't already check out the OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) web site http://app.obra.org/schedule#September

Looks like cross events start happening in September - Like at our velodrome here, it looks like Alpenrose has weeknight CCX clinics - I'll bet they have good beginner classes.

Oh- and don't worry about the mounts and dismounts. I'm totally a roadie (I did one cross race last year - it was fun enough, but I really focus on road and coach said no more. And I'm probably too much of a chicken to ever be really good at cross...) and I managed to learn how to mount and dismount in one class. I won't say that I'm the most graceful thing out there, but I learned how to do it and only fell once or twice.
    Last edited by Eden; 03-12-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N