Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeves or No?

Sleeves or No?

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK... taking a poll and asking for suggestions.
    I've been wetsuit shopping online. My gut instinct says get a sleeveless wetsuit for tri training and racing. But how does everyone else see this question?

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I think our water temps typically range from 50-65 at any given time. I have a 1/2 mile swim in my first tri, and probably a 1/4 mile in my second one this season. I did a sprint last year and I was COLD but made it without a wetsuit. But I don't think I'd do it again without one!

Any bad feelings or really positive ones about a specific brand?
    Thanks for any feedback!
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Hello!

Well, I say if the water is cold enough for a wetsuit... then it's cold enough for sleeves on the wetsuit. That's just me. I HATE COLD WATER.

As far as wetsuits go... it's all about fit. Someone can tell you that Zoot makes a great wetsuit, but if you can't fit into it properly, then forget it.

Otherwise, I bought and tried out like 4 different brands. I have to say the Desoto 2-pieces impressed me the LEAST. So many people love them, but compared to the other ones I had tried, it was the worst material wise.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Most people I know who swim open water in B.C. (I don't!!) have long-sleeved wetsuits...

These are photos of a recent Vancouver Triathlon (sept 07):
    http://www.pbase.com/markcreery/vancouvertri07

You'll find some sleeveless racers, but most people, including the leaders, wear sleeves it seems.

Perhaps you'd make it with a sleeveless, but you'll get more versatility out of a longsleeved I think...

Our water is not nearly that cold and I have sleeves. I vote sleeves.

Besides keeping you warmer, the full sleeved suits actually make you faster. It's been shown a bunch of times. I think Slowtwitch has some articles about it.

On the other hand, I found full sleeved suits claustrophobic. So I wear a sleeveless.

I have a Promotion suit. In most reviews and articles they rate pretty highly, but are MUCH cheaper than a lot of "big name" suits.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    On the other hand, I found full sleeved suits claustrophobic. So I wear a sleeveless.

See, I can't breathe when I have mine on, and it seems to me that it comes from the chest portion of the wetsuit.

When I get into the water the wetsuit tightens around my chest and I feel like I can't breathe.

The sleeves don't have anything to do for me when it comes to feeling like I'm being squeezed to death.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Thanks everyone! Good to hear differing views. Sounds like I better go somewhere and try a bunch on, or at least guarantee the ability to return!

i did Seattle Danskin in my $105 wetsuit without sleeves. I was fine and dandy for my open-water training in Lake Washington, the lake the race is in (began swimming in May). My friend did the training and the race without any wetsuit at all.

During Danskin itself I was quite warm. I like that my arms were free and didn't mind that the lower neck of my wetsuit (kayaking suit) scooped a little water. It was a worthwhile trade off to me not to have anything around my neck.

Try out some suits. I had an idea of the types of suits I like from scuba diving and kayaking and wearing wetsuits for shore work.

Mine is not the most efficient racing suit in the world, but it makes me happy, and that's all I really care about.

It's like bikes, try lots!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

There is a probably a place near you where you can rent triathlon (not diving) wet suits. Rent a few and try them out!!

I live in the PNW and I would say that there are a lot of factors in play. If you plan on training in open water before mid June, I would recommend a full sleeved suit. If you're only going to open water in late June through the end of the season, you could get a sleeveless. That's what I wear. But I bought mine many years ago when the technology wasn't as good and having sleeves meant giving up flexibility. So I put up with being cold a lot of the time. Now the quality of the neoprene is better and having sleeves doesn't limit reach. There is the increased cost with a sleeved suit and the clausterphobia factor that someone else mentioned.

I will second looking into Promotion. they have very good prices, the suit quality is excellent. And if you really can't decide, they have a sleevless that will take a long sleeved top. It would work well for training in the colder temps but I don't think that I would race in it.

http://www.wetsuit.com/

Their shop is here in the Gorge and I am familiar with the owners and a lot of athletes that use their suits. It's not a tough trip from Seattle if you want to come down here and check it out.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks a lot! Wahine: Promotion is topping my list just because it does look like I can get a lot of suit for a lot smaller price. Teigyr also recommended them; she has one and seems to really like it. Didn't know they were in the gorge... I'm actually heading that way early in April to visit friends in Vancouver. Maybe I'll make her go shopping with me (not usually the kind of shopping she would enjoy, but I won't tell her WHAT we're shopping for till we arrive!). Thanks for the heads up!
    Jes

more wetsuit questions

I am also about to buy a new wetsuit. I was seriously considering the DeSoto. KSH, why did you not like it?

I checked the Promotion site, interesting! Which model do folks have?

Does anyone have the 2XU suit? Triathlete Magazine really like it.

thanks,
    Laura
    Laura

Here is a review of all of the wetsuits I bought... tried on and tried out in the water:

I have bought, tried on, and swam in the following brands:

Blue Seventy (BS)
    QR
    2XU
    Zoot
    Desoto

Yea, I have had a time finding a wetsuit that fit me right, can you tell? I am also being really picky about my wetsuit, because I'm a good swimmer and a cheap wetsuit will slow me down, and I will be bothered by it.

BS is a nice wetsuit. For women, it's good because it's cut for someone with booty and boobs. That is what I needed. The neoprene is nice and I didn't have any issues with the one I rented for a race. Shoulders were flexible. I bought the Energie. I did not keep it though. http://www.trisports.com/blseenfuwe.html

QR is a really nice wetsuit too. Honestly, I liked this neoprene the best. It was just different. Very flexible. This wetsuit is made for someone with beefy legs and a large chest (not necessarily big because of boobs!). The size that should have fit me, was HUGE on me. If you are a beefy guy, this would be a good wetsuit for you. http://www.trisports.com/qr20hytrwe.html

2XU is a nice wetsuit. No complaints really. It was just cut for someone who is very thin without any hips, boobs, or a booty. If you are a thin guy/gal with very little "sticking out" muscle wise, etc. this wetsuit would be good. I think I got this one on sale: http://www.trisports.com/2xueltrwe.html

Zoot Zenith is a VERY NICE wetsuit. Totally different from all the other ones. It has these pieces of boyancy swen into the inside of the wetsuit. None of the other wetsuits are like this one. Unless you see a picture of the inside of the wetsuit, you don't really understand how different it is. I kept this one. It's flexible and I could swim in it just fine.
    http://www.trisports.com/zootzenith.html

Desoto is an OK wesuit. Not very innovative. The neoprene was the worst in the bunch. It was thick and not very flexible. Compared to the other ones, I would rank this one the lowest. The bib john was odd and pulled up into my crotch (fit issue). The top was a pain to get on and then it fit oddly around my boobs. A lot of people love this wetsuit, but fit wise it didn't work for me.
    http://www.trisports.com/t1blpebi.html
    http://www.trisports.com/t1fiwazipu.html

In the end though, buying a wetsuit is ALL ABOUT FIT. Each brand is cut differently and fits differently. Just because you fit the "size" on the chart, doesn't mean it will work for you in the water.

Good luck.

I have the Promotion sleeveless Power Glide. I looked at the Zoot one just now, it looks beautiful I guess I needed one that wasn't SO expensive because I am new to the sport, I'm not a swimmer, and I need to make sure it's a good and valid investment. If I'm just doing sprint tri's at 2-3x/year, I can't justify $500 +/-. If I decide to start doing distance or more than what I'm doing now, then I'll evaluate it again.

As far as the sleeves go, I was thinking about getting them. I don't "race" as in going fast and I thought they'd be beneficial just for OW swimming. Are there major complaints about them?

Being new to the sport (multi and the various components) is such an investment. DH is wonderful about supporting me and agreeing that I need all this stuff...I'm just trying to keep the costs down. To me I'll spend whatever I need to on my running shoes and on my bike. I'm sure the swim part will catch up

I can't afford a new wetsuit either.

If need be, I will wear my long sleeved rash guard under my sleeveless shortie.

Quillfred
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton