Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surgery for Bone Spur-Shoulder

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone had bone spurs removed from their shoulder(arthoscopically)? I think it is time to finally bite the bullet and get the shoulder fixed. I have been having some serious impingment issues with it for a little over a year now. I have had 2 depo medrol(pretty much cortisone injections) and a round of PT and it keeps persisting. After being on the bike for about 30 minutes my right arm "locks" up. The pain shoots down to my elbow and I can't move that arm. If there is road debris on the right side of the road I end up moving my left arm behind me to point it out I also can't get my water or anything else with that arm when riding or stand to sprint without serious pain.
    It is also affecting other aspects of my life, can't swim(and I was hoping to do some Tri's this year), positions in yoga hurt, can't do oblique pushups on the right side,etc. Then, once I have done these activities I am in excruciating pain(it is a constant burning feeling) for the next day and it becomes an issues to even write or type without pain in my arm.

So my question is, has anyone else had this done? If so what was the recovery time and how was it. The Ortho told me it would be a 4-5 day recovery period, I just want to make sure it is really that short before I do this at the beginning of race season.

oh there is a slight chance there could be a small tear in the rotator cuff(the pain started december 06- actually the day before christmas, when I crashed on the bike on my right side), but since they have to go in anyways they aren't going to do an MRI- so hopefully there is no tear, because I don't want to be laid off for that long of recovery.

You don't have full function right now, why are you concerned about recovery time for something that will restore full function?

The sooner you have surgery, the sooner you'll be back swimming and biking.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Even if allthey do is shave off a spur the recovery in my experience is more like 3 weeks. And as you said, you may have a tear. I honestly wouldn't be surprised. So the recovery from that is more like 12 to 16 weeks. But if you can't function or race now, I'm with Zen, sooner rather than later.

Sorry you're going through this. It's a vey painful injury and frustrating.

Good luck and let us know haow things go.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

My husband had the arthroscopic shoulder surgery to smooth off a bone spur. He waited too long to have the surgery developed a "frozen shoulder" - he spent about a month in PT before surgery getting gently manipulated to release the scar tissue(yeow). The orthopedist compared having a bone spur in your shoulder joint to "having a butter knife trying to cut a steak" (the "steak" being your rotator cuff ! Recovery was more like 3 weeks as I recall, and involved more PT to strengthen his shoulder muscles to protect his joint. He can now cycle, do push ups, yard work, kayak, etc pain-free. BTW, I work in a hospital outpatient surgery (recovery room RN). If they find that your RC is damaged enough to need a repair, you'll be using that arm very little for about 6 weeks. But I would get it fixed sooner rather than later if it's limiting your activities, too painful to sleep well, etc. If you do need a RC repair, the anesthesiologist can give you an "interscalene nerve block" which will make the first 10 to 12 hours of your recovery infinitely more comfortable, and you can start oral pain meds before the block wears off all the way. Good luck! Carol

Thank you everybody for your words of wisdom and advice!

I am now waiting to get on my dad's insurance(won't have the deductable like I do on mine-eekk being on a single person insurance plan isn't fun) which should kick in the 2nd week of feb(didn't know that in fl if you are a student and under 25 your parents insurance can't turn you down). Once I get on his insurance the surgery will be scheduled for the next week or two.

Good luck, and be sure to keep us posted! We will all have shoulder stories to share .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

surgery for bone spur - shoulder

I had shoulder bone spurs removed arthroscopically Feb 7th. The recovery is painful for about 10 days. I started physical therapy a few days ago and I have to say I feel like I have taken a few steps backward due to the pain and discomfort. No pain, no gain. At this point am thankful for ice and pain pills.

Mitch-
    Thank you for posting that. I was seriously debating having the surgery next week, because the pain has caused me to stop doing things I enjoy(yoga, oblique pushups, swimming,etc).
    Your post has made me decide to wait until June to have it done, I am going to baby it as much as I can and not do the activities that cause the pain. Right now, I want to race and get enough points so I can cat up to 3 for next season, then I will go ahead with the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Mitch-
    Thank you for posting that. I was seriously debating having the surgery next week, because the pain has caused me to stop doing things I enjoy(yoga, oblique pushups, swimming,etc).
    Your post has made me decide to wait until June to have it done, I am going to baby it as much as I can and not do the activities that cause the pain. Right now, I want to race and get enough points so I can cat up to 3 for next season, then I will go ahead with the surgery.
    Well, it's YOUR choice but some heal faster/slower than others. PT is usually started immediately following surgery.
    You would have been back on the bike (and doing yoga, and swimming) by June.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Well, it's YOUR choice but some heal faster/slower than others. PT is usually started immediately following surgery.
    You would have been back on the bike (and doing yoga, and swimming) by June.
    Zen,
    You are correct I would be back on the bike by June. But the majority of the races for the Florida Points Series are all between now and June, after June pretty much all of the local races won't have womans divisions- I will be out there with the boys. So from a racing perspective- if I can hold out till June, then all my training won't be wasted :-)
    Then, when it is super hot in the florida summer I can sit inside on the trainer in the AC and spin because I have a reason not to be outside for a few weeks-hehehe.

Good Luck to you - I think I'd do just that given your situation. Zen is correct in saying that exercise begins right away (limited exercise). I started the day after surgery the exercise of lifting my arm. It took about a week to master that. Once the physical therapy started the first goal was to increase the range of motion lost. Next will be exercise to increase strength. I'm still working on range of motion but am making very good progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Mitch-

Rotator Cuff surgery

I had an MRI done last Monday. Meet with orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for surgery consultation. He diagnosed me with tendinitis and bone spurs. Two cortizone shots later than the MRI.

A fellow colleague had the surgery in December. Chatted with him and he said he was in a sling for a month and PT four times a week.

Glad I finally went to the doctor's to help with this problem. I suggest the sooner the better and not to wait.

tigger56

Thanks Tigger.
    Yeah I am calling today to see about moving the surgery up. The pain isn't nearly so bad since the 3rd cortisone injection,but now the pain is all the muscles surrounding the rotator cuff. I even pulled out of a crit this weeknd about 10 minutes into it because of the pain, decided it wasn't worth it :-( I am now having horrible sleep issues, waking up multiple times throughout the night b/c of pain- OTC anti-inflammatories weren't working, now taking darvocet at night and that isn't working to well either. oh well thought i could postpone it but there will always be next season.

MaryAnn

To Emily,

You need to go to a new orthopedic if the one you are going to is giving you bad information like the 4-5 day recovery timeframe. I had arthroscopic surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm still having to take percocet every 4 hours for the pain. I can move pretty well and don't have 'frozen shoulder' problems but the pain is hard to handle.
    I'm glad I had it done - knew it wasn't going to get better on it's own.

My husband had this surgery. He had torn his rotator cuff years ago that ended up needing some repair and he had bone spurs that were cutting into a tendon.
    He was not allowed or released to go back to work for 3 months. The first week was pretty painful for him. He freaked a little right after because they didn't tell him that he wouldn't be able to move his arm. Once we called we realized that was normal. He didn't do PT, they just gave him exercises to do with one of those bands, and they continued to check his progress.

Good thing is, this was 4 years ago and his shoulder is doing great. He has no pain or recurring problems. He is very happy he had it done. He is a police officer, so he really needs full use of both arms.
    Donna