Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anybody traveled to Africa?

To disable ads, please log-in.

One of my oldest friends and I made a pact two years ago that we'd celebrate our respective 40th birthdays by going on a safari to Africa. Well, it's still about two years away (I turn 40 in 9/09; she in 1/10 and we're planning to go on the trip in 2/10), but I've already started my research. I love, love, love planning my trips (I was a tour operator with OCD in a past life) and, well, work is slow right now.

Of course, it's not just up to me, but I'd like to take an active safari (one that involves some daily hiking in the very least) to Tanzania. I'm still open to other countries, e.g., Botswana, but Tanzania offers all I'd want to see, for slightly less money than other destinations. Plus, it's politically stable. That's a big "plus."

Anyway, I'm already really excited. Have any TEers been to Africa? I'd love to hear your suggestions and impressions.

Thanks!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My mom and I went to Zimbabwe and Botswana in '95. Best vacation of my life. I had friends in Zimbabwe (who have since fled to France) and stayed with them in Harare for a few days, then several days each in different safari camps around the two countries.
    I highly recommend the Okavango Delta in Botswana. We spent hours looking at lions from very close by and even walked near Elephants.
    At the time, Zimbabwe had some stringent safari camp rules and Botswana's were much more relaxed, so we saw more there (and probably took our lives in our hands). On the other hand, the camps in Botswana were full of fun misinformation, but the Zimbabwe guides were licensed and new their stuff.
    Not sure I would go to Zimbabwe now, would be rather frightening.
    Get a good bird book and a good animal guide (depending on your interests).
    Be prepared to be relaxed about everything. Don't forget your shot schedule, as you may need to start that several months early.
    You'll have fun!

DH and I went to Kenya on our honeymoon. We had thought of combining a safari with climbing Mt Kilimanjaro but decided that we wouldn't have time for everything so stuck to looking at animals. It was absulutely fantastic although I suppose Kenya is not an ideal tourist destination at the moment.

Have you thought of Uganda? I think they are trying to encourage more tourists but it's still a bit off the beaten trail for big groups.

I spent three months doing fieldwork in Botswana. A great country and politically stable with very little crime which made me feel very safe travelling around on my own. Didn't spend much time doing tourist-stuff so don't have any good tips on those, but what I did see was very cool and I would love to go back some day to see more.

Thanks, ladies. Botswana is definitely one of the other countries we're considering. Pricewise, I think Tanzania is cheaper and I like the idea of seeing (if not actually hiking) Killimanjaro. I think the trick with either will be to find a reputable tour company that offers the kind of safari that we want, for the right number of days, for a decent price. I'd prefer local or at least one that puts a lot of money back into the local economy and one that is environmentally conscious. About.com has some good suggestions that meet both those criteria.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

intrepid

I just want to recommend Intrepid Travel. They organize small group tours & have some really great/amazing/inspiring tour leaders.

I did a rice terrace trek in the Philippines in 01 with them & everything was v well organized. ( still want to be a mountain goat like the kids living on/around Mt Pinatubo )We had a mix of ages but got along very well! The oldest gent was 60+. I would go on another tour again if i had the time!

Anywho..they do tours in Africa.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com.au/search/trips
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com.au/about/

Never been ,would love to go though! May I suggest looking into AAA (Auto club) maybe they have some suggestions on what tour groups to go with. Also frommer's might have some suggestions as well! Oh Lonely planet too! I am sure they have something on africa. I used their books for a trip to Costa Rica that I planned for my dh and I. It was a great trip!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Thanks, ladies. I think the trick with either will be to find a reputable tour company that offers the kind of safari that we want, for the right number of days, for a decent price. I'd prefer local or at least one that puts a lot of money back into the local economy and one that is environmentally conscious. About.com has some good suggestions that meet both those criteria.
    Our friends in Zimbabwe knew someone who knew someone who knew these folks
    http://www.africa-adventure.com/
    so we went with them. They specialize in individual plans and organize all you need to do to hop from one safari group to another. They also specialized in the more "adventurous" travel. They were great and all of our plans went perfectly.
    For example: we landed in Harare and as we got off the plane someone took our suitcases from us and wandered off. My mom and I (total neophytes) looked at each other and discussed if our bags had just been stolen! We followed the directions our bags had disappeared to and found a woman standing by our luggage with a placard with our name on it. She then gave us all our tickets and our itinerary and made sure we were set to start! Totally seamless and easy.
    They had sent us duffle bags and fancy suitcase tabs - just so people at airports and train terminals could pick us out and "steal" our luggage - worked that way every time.
    This company asks you what you want, then sends you all the info you might need to pick specific camps/countries… then they organize it all for you. If I remember right, it wasn’t all that much money, either.

Climbing Kilimanjaro is my life's dream - go climb the mountain! One of my co-worker's did it two years ago, at age 63. Another co-worker and good friend's husband runs a field schoool in Tanzania each summer - he's an anthropologist and native Tanzanian. He always comes home with amazing pictures of wildlife from their dig sites and camp.

I've been to north Africa many times but never anyplace else on the continent.

I've been to Tanzania quite a few times - WONDERFUL place!! (I lived in Ethiopia for seven years, so traveled quite extensively in that region.) Ngorongoro is fantastic just about any time of year - absolutely phenomenal. I've also been on safari in Kenya and, while it was wonderful too, I would recommend Ngorongoro over Kenya.

Kilimanjaro really isn't that hard to climb, but don't rush it. Altitude sickness is nothing to play with. My husband got altitude sickness very badly and ws weaving all over - the last mile or so to the summit is along a narrow, icy trail on the rim of the crater. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous. It's a lot better to build one extra day into your climb - much more comfortable that way!! While I haven't been there for a number of years, I'm guessing there are LOTS of tour companies still and you can arrange for the tour right there. It will be MUCH cheaper to wait until you are there to arrange it.

Good luck!! I wish I was going... (I miss Africa so much...)
    Dreaming of dropping out of society to travel with your kids? Follow along as we do exactly that! www.familyonbikes.org

the closest I've come is watching Planet Earth! I'm envious tho and will look forward to hearing about your trip ansd seeing pics. I think my best friend is going this summer. Her new husband is the head nutritionist for animals for the San Diego Zoological Society... they would pay for his trip and all accomodations. They'd only have to pay for her flight. I asked if I could sleep on their floor
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".