Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Foam Roller

Foam Roller

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ordered a foam roller to use to work on my ITB and my quad on the "bad leg". It came with a good intructions. I was just curious how often I should roll?

And should I expect soreness from this?

( I wonder if I should stop calling the "bad leg", the "bad leg" . Perhaps it can hear me and is being more rebellious to live up to the reputation. Hmmmm, there could be some psychology at work here.)

other

RNRG-why not call it the funky leg

Hopefully our lovely PT's will be awake soon & can answer your q.. I have a foam roller but never been informed on how often to use it...

once a day is good. It's like having deep tissue massage, doing it too often can get painful. So that being said, if the intensity of sensation is getting worse each time you get on the roller, you should decrease frequency. If it feels good every time, you can do it more often if you want to. But start with 1 time per day and go from there. It's good to take a hot shower and stretch afterwards too.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks Yoda...Is that Uma in your avatar...who is that girl??? Is she firing a bow and arrow...what is going on there....

That's Uma. It's a scene from when she was studying under the master back at the White Cloud Temple (or whatever it was called). She's using a sword in the right arm while doing a cool chi thing with the left.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Question Different Foam Roller Question

Reviving the thread with a new foam roller question:

Is it possible or beneficial to order a bit softer foam roller for ITB stuff? There is a white foam roller at the gym that is less hard than styro foam, but it kind of reminds me of that. Perhaps 6" or so in diameter?

It is quite painful for me. I was wondering if it was possible (and affordable?) to find (or make?) a bit softer roller for getting started?

(And, as an aside...I just got new pedals & shoes, and this week I am feeling twinges of old ITB stuff...so I think some adjustments to cleats are in order...any comments welcomed.)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

i think I've seen softer foam rollers in my internet travels but would that be beneficial?
    Maybe you're putting too much weight on your leg when you do it. Have you tried to support yourself more with your upper body and controlling how much pressure is applied to the leg?

Do yo think the one at the gym is softer because its so broken in?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Do yo think the one at the gym is softer because its so broken in?
    Actually, I think it is too hard for me!

I guess I was thinking of a softer one to get started with, to then build up to one more firm. I admit I am not too coordinated yet with this effort. I try to do it in different ways, to experiment, but it just seems quite ackward, and I never feel like I'm quite doing it right.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

You can get foam rollers that have a softness to the surface but are still firm enough to be effective. They are more expensive.

http://www.power-systems.com/p-3416-...m-rollers.aspx

You can also get a ball with the same surface as the old gym balls/dodgeballs, but about 6 inches in diameter. We stock pile those at the clinic, fill them with air to desired firmness and roll on that the same way that you would use a foam roller. It's definitely less intense and it's a cheaper solution. Then when things get better you can go back to trying the regular foam roller at the gym.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    You can also get a ball with the same surface as the old gym balls/dodgeballs, but about 6 inches in diameter. We stock pile those at the clinic, fill them with air to desired firmness and roll on that the same way that you would use a foam roller. It's definitely less intense and it's a cheaper solution. Then when things get better you can go back to trying the regular foam roller at the gym.
    Hey, I really appreciate both pieces of info, but that old gym ball solution sounds good for me right now. Thanks!