Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Got mine Monday... single-lamp rig in "Envy Green."

Setup was very simple... The battery came at least partially charged, so I plugged in the trickle charger, connected it to the battery, and let 'er stoke up overnight and most of yesterday while I figured out how to mount the lamp on the Fisher MTB (green bike, green lights... go figure ) It comes with a hard rubber clip-on mount that goes on the down tube, then the lamp snaps snugly into that and is locked in with another rubber strap. There's a small black control box attached to the lamp unit, and the battery plugs into that. Plug the lamp to the battery, and the light's on -- no switches. For now, the battery and control box went into the lower bottle cage and secured with a strip of velcro. Took a short test ride out past the Big Dam Bridge and down some stretches of the River Trail where there's no lights and it's usually darker than the inside of a black cat inside a sack with the lights turned off... and was very pleased with how much got lit up. Coming back up past the bridge to Cook's Landing and the parking lot, another rider commented, "Dude, if they can't see you, they're ####### blind." In addition to the DLG, I was also running a twin-beam Cygo-Lite NiteRover headlight, a white Frog blinkie on the front, Planet Bike superflash tail light, red/white/blue Tire Flys on the valve stems, helmet tricked out with reflective tape all over, one of those new Voler jerseys with the ScotchLite tape on the sleeves & tail, tights with reflective piping, and Glo-Gloves... ;-)

No pictures yet, but will post as soon as I find a willing accomplice...

Tom

Oh, you don't need to post a picture, I think I saw you all the way over here...

j/k would love to see pics
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

i sent the link on these to my sister who bought them for her husband and my nephew, i can't wait to hear what they say on Christmas! my nephew loves to get anything that the other 11 yr old boys in the neighborhood don't have, and this should really make him stand out. should be fun to see. then i may have to buy one too, can't have them having something i don't.

I need to ride my bike, even if my commute is in the dark. (I'm a much nicer person if I get to ride my bike.)

Trying to decide between amber and green. Which color is brighter or more attention-getting?

Is the green "green light, go!" color, or "screaming lime caution" color?

Edit: I might need these, too: http://www.cyclelicio.us/2005/11/glo-gloves.html
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 12-12-2007 at 09:21 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

this might help you decide on a color
    http://newsbiscuit.com/article/cycli...luminous-green
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I need to ride my bike, even if my commute is in the dark. (I'm a much nicer person if I get to ride my bike.)

Trying to decide between amber and green. Which color is brighter or more attention-getting?

Is the green "green light, go!" color, or "screaming lime caution" color?

Edit: I might need these, too: http://www.cyclelicio.us/2005/11/glo-gloves.html

The green is quite attractive (and noticeable)... sort of like Yoda's lightsaber, if you're a Star Wars fan... I went for the green mostly because I was going to put it on a lime-green bike, but also because it stands out at bike/street level; the amber can look a lot like street lights or those little lights that folks use to light up sidewalks or keep you from stubbing your toe on something.

I stapped mine on, plugged it in, and took off down the darkest sections of the local trails to see how well it really worked... and it was great!! Since it goes under your down tube, the front and rear wheels, as well as my front fork blocked a bit of the direct light both fore and aft, but the visibility from and to the sides was phenomenal. It was dark, moonless, and raining last night, but a highlight of last night's ride was watching the deer stand at the side of the trail watching me go by... This one big doe was standing there, with her head cocked a little to the right, one ear forward and one ear back, sort of like a mule, like she was wondering "What in the woods is that?" I usually see a good bit of wildlife on this route anyway, but the DLG lights up about five of six yards to either side, so you can see a whole lot more than just what you're used to in your headlights. If you ride real slow, at cruiser bike speeds, it's a good supplement to your headlight, but at road or MTB speeds it's real easy to outrun the length of what you can see to the front.

FWIW, I was introduced to the Glo-Gloves by a fellow student at the Louisville LCI seminar back in October, and went out immediately, googled them up, and ordered a pair. I've been using them for about 2 months, and they are fantastic, not only for signalling at night, but just for improving overall visibility. Even if you just hang your hands over the handlebars or the brake hoods, the yellow panels on the front light up well. If you ride at night, especially in town, I highly recommend them. Glo-Gloves are just little light polyester open-fingered shells; one sixe fits all, and you wear them over your regular riding gloves -- whether long- or open-fingered. Mine were about $20 from www.nightgear.com, and I got them within three days or so of ordering.

Tom

First of all -- thank you for introducing me to a fabulous, must have, can't live without, wonderful product! I knew at once that I NEEDED the down low glow light (even though the name is pretty funky). DH just ordered the amber for me for Christmas, and I am so excited about getting it. I will be waiting to intercept the delivery guy so that I can at least gaze upon the package before DH hides it away....

My big decision was color -- I wanted purple because I have purple on my bike, but it was the least bright color, so then it was between green and amber. I chose amber because it was supposed to be the brightest, and the pictures made it look like it was a pretty intense orange. I hope I'm not disapointed -- I really liked all of the colors.

Thank you again for posting about these -- I had never seen them, and I really like them better than any of the other cool lighting systems I've seen.

Oh, and the article Zen posted is pretty great too....

Christy