Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 74 of 175 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2614

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by LL_Super_D
    Lise: I hope you do one day make it to Burning Man - it really is quite an experience. The "playa" is the area where the Man and all the art exhibits are, while Black Rock City is where everyone camps... a little hard to imagine but here's a link to a satellite image: http://www.spaceimaging.com/gallery/...oster_1024.jpg
    Let me know if you ever plan to go.... I just may be there too.
    Wow. That's a pretty cool picture. I'm going to do a little more research. I read about Burning Man once, and it's been just an idle dream since then. Perhaps someday a reality! L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Welcome to the board Tucker! I was just picturing you riding you bike home as fast as your little legs could pedal trying to escape "naked man". So...is there more to this story that we should hear??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Funny, how Corsair's all ears when the words "naked man" show up...

P.S. Welcome, new faces! (And returned ones, stella.)
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks for the welcome

The naked guy was kind of scary, actually.

I always rode my bike from the house about 3 miles into town to play tennis with my girlfriends in the summer. (Those were the days...) I always had to be home before my mom got home from work. So I was leaving the park and got out of the traffic onto the two-lane highway, when I noticed this car pass me kind of slow. I watched as he drove ahead about a half mile, and turned at the next road. When I got up to the road, he had turned around and was sitting there idling. After I passed, I could hear him pulling out behind me and following me.

I mostly tried to ignore him, but as he was cruising slowly beside me again I could see his chest, stomach and thighs. Being only 16, I was not interested in seeing anything else! He never waved or said anything...just followed me. After the second time he waited up for me I got his license plate number.

We lived on the highway on a steep short hill. It's the kind of hill that full semi's would really have to gun to get up. Our house was just past the crest, behind the neighbor's driveway on the crest, so you couldn't see our house until you got all the way to the top and were descending. It was a tough hill to climb on a bike, and even tough for those '70s 4-cylinder economy cars, too.

After the last time he passed me and waited up, I knew he would have to go over the hill before he could stop and wait again, so just as he was out of sight over the hill, I poured the coal to it. I don't think I even changed gears what with the adrenaline and all, and I was really cooking by the time I got to the top...but I didn't go all the way over. I pulled into the neighbor's uphill driveway instead, because I knew he would have a ways to go before he found another road. This gave me some cover to peek and see him going down the other side.

When I knew he couldn't possibly see me, I threw the bike behind the pump house and hid, because there was no way I could get in the house without him seeing me. From my hidey-hole I could see him go back and forth in front of my house a couple of times.

It was a panicky feeling, knowing he was waiting for me up ahead, and seeing him going back and forth in front of the house. I remember considering my options while I rode, and thinking of all the people I knew along the highway where I could pull in and take refuge, but I always thought he would just keep going after the last time. He didn't. I shudder to think what might have happened if I had not been on that nice 10-speed bike that my dad won in a talent show.

I never saw him again, so I think he never spotted me hiding behind the pump house, either. From then on, I would ride into town, but wait near my friend's house on the highway for my dad to pick me up in his way home.

Karen

Freaky! Here's to your ten-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Funny, how Corsair's all ears when the words "naked man" show up...

P.S. Welcome, new faces! (And returned ones, stella.)

Well like yeah! LOL

Tucker: very scary story my friend. Thank goodness for your trusty 10-speed and your presence of mind! Behaviour like that would unnerve anyone regardless of age.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Where do you live? Higginsville, Missouri - if it's not the absolute middle of nowhere, you can surely see it from here.

Explanation of your handle: In any given group, I am usually the resident geek - family, work, social, whatever. Inevitably, I'm the geekiest person in the group, and the one most called on to fix things that run on electricity.

Explanation of your avatar: Oh, and I'm a math geek

Age (general or specific) 25

Occupation: Computer Support Technican at a community college in Kansas City, Missouri

Favorite bike: One that fits - being short has it's disadvantages.

What's in your stable? A WalMart Special - Roadmaster Mt. Sport SX - it fits and it runs, and that makes me happy

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I've never ridden a road bike before, but I can get up some good speed on my mountain bike on the flats.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? None, currently. I have to get the online photo album back up and running.

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: They're not lies... I just stretch the truth

Most memorable moment on my bike: I have incredibly short spiky hair, and get mistaken for a guy quite often. Two days after buying my new bike, I was riding down the street and passed this little kid who yelled, "Dad! Dad! He's riding a girl's bike! He's riding a girl's bike!" For some reason, I let him live to be stupid another day.

Most fun ever had on a bike? Pulling the 2-year old in his trailer, going down a hill and hearing, "Whee!"
    Last edited by residentgeek; 04-27-2006 at 04:49 PM.
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com

Welcome residentgeek. Never fear, there's geeky company for you here at TE. Ride data, anyone? Your avatar had me rolling on the floor, and I loved your "most fun" story too!

Love the avatar, rg !

Where do you live? Perth, Australia.

Explanation of your handle: Um, a New Zealander living in Australia - for a while

Explanation of your avatar: Who?

Age (general or specific) 28

Favorite bike: My teal Raleigh mtb - I'm having fun!

What's in your stable? just the one bike - I am psyching myself up for my first road bike purchase - soon!

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Oooh - 45km maybe - down, down, down a hill!

Another picture of yourself or your ride?

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: Thanks, but I'm fine - it didn't hurt.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Ooh - last week I was cycling around the river here - and saw a small pod of dolphins playing. This was about 25km up river. Very cool. Obviously had to get off my bike and have a wee rest... :-)

Most fun ever had on a bike? Every time I pass my partner and leave him for dust!! Doesn't happen very often!

Welcome to the board Geek! Loved your "funniest" story, that whole let him live to be stupid another day had me crying from laughter!

Welcome to the board KiwiOz: Holy Smokes yet Another wonder from Down Under! They're taking over the world!! Run for your lives!!!!! We have quite a few Ozzies/Kiwis (I know: Never say their names in the same sentence!) on the board! I'm sooooo envious about your most memorable - living in the desert we stop whenever we see standing water, a pod of dolphins is pretty much out of the question!!

Nice to meet both of you and hope to hear more from you!

Pssst... Corsair! We took over the world years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Pssst... Corsair! We took over the world years ago.

ROFL ------ I shoulda guessed when the US started bringing in Fosters that we were doomed, *hangs head* doomed. Now all I can hope for is that ya'll are riding Treks!!

Where do you live? Providence Utah.

Explanation of your handle:

Explanation of your avatar:

Age (general or specific) 47

Favorite bike: My Blue Townie 7D

What's in your stable? just the Townie

Fastest speed on a road bike? 30 mph, going downhill this morning,could have gone faster but it was ~chilly~

Another picture of yourself or your ride?

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can afford this bike

Most memorable moment on my bike: When I walked in the shop and took it for a test ride and realized I COULD ride a bike again. I gave up a few years ago because leaning forward onto the handlebars was making a bad wrist worse. On the Townie-no wrist pain whatsoever.

Most fun ever had on a bike? it's only been 6 days, I'm planning a fun ride for sunday. The fun of commuting so far is I haven't dropped dead yet from being out of shape

Ellen

Where do you live? Minneapolis, MN

Explanation of your handle: Although I currently reside in the midwest, I was born and raised in Vermont (the green mountain state).

Explanation of your avatar: No avatar...yet!

Age (general or specific) 33 this year

Favorite bike: There are too many to choose...

What's in your stable? Giant OCR 1 and Kona Muni Mula

Fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? No idea, although it was probably back when I lived in Portland and on a mountain bike. So far this week, 28 mph is the fastest.

Another picture of yourself or your ride? Not yet

What is the biggest lie you've ever told: I can't remember.

Most memorable moment on my bike: Being grounded at age 8 or so for riding my bike down the middle of the road -- too bad my mom caught me! And every time I get on my bike to commute to work (or elsewhere) and know I don't have to drive my car! Yay!

Most fun ever had on a bike? The easy answer is "all the time!" I especially enjoy everyday activities, like riding to go get ice cream or meet friends.