Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for sharing the link. That's a good challenge - and a good reminder. Cargo seems to be my biggest obstacle, but when I can work around that, why not?

We're golfers and there is a golf course within two miles of us. My son used to (and still does sometimes) take his putter and ride his bike to the practice greens. We're still trying to figure out how to take a whole bag of clubs. We all laugh at the thought of carrying them on our backs, but who knows - they make kid trailers - maybe we can rig a trailer out of the hand cart --

Deb

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    4 1/2 years ago when DH & I bought our current house, we made a big decision to give up on the idea of living out on some isolated coountry road somewhere and instead buy a house on the village outskirts so we would not be so dependent on cars to get anywhere. This was the best decision!
    We bike all the time to the bank, the PO, drugstore, bakery, etc. I can't even imagine how much we now save in gas and car use, and we don't pollute the air like we used to. Many times i'll walk the mile round trip to Main St and back for some little errand, just because it's wonderful exercise.
    Because we are now more aware of using our cars, driving somewhere seems like a bigger deal than before, and that makes us consolidate our car trips more too.
    The only thing is our house is at the top of a VERY steep 1/4 mile hill, so every time we walk or bike out the last thing we do is have to climb that hill. We have pretty much gotten used to it though, and truly the hill doesn't seem quite as steep as it did a couple of years ago.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only place I can ride in 3km is work (school). Hard part is that it's downhill the whole way which means a long slow climb after work with a full backpack and whiny kid. We haven't figured out a way to do our grocery shopping via bike yet. If we're out riding, we really don't want to weigh our road bikes down with trailers etc. However, we are currently a one-car family now and we're doing pretty well saving energy that way.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I live in the old central part of our town. While the newer outskirts have fantastic bike lanes and roads with shoulders, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get to any of the retail areas safely on a bike. It's easy to get out of town and ride to neighboring towns, which is why I'd rather ride the 40 miles round trip to work (out of town) than ride the 4 miles round trip to my gym (in town). Some places are easy to get to on my bike, like the library, the ice cream store, the pool, but others just aren't. We can also walk to a lot of restaurants since we are just 2 blocks from the old downtown area.

Oh, and I just love it when people honk at me on the highway (between towns) like I'm in their way because I'm on my bike (on the right side of an 8 foot wide shoulder). From my point of view they should be thanking me I'm not yet one more car in that awful 2 mile long line of stopped cars waiting to get through the next traffic light.
    The best part about going up hills is riding back down!

We do as much as we can by bike, but it's a little more difficult where we live. Last week's jaunt to the nearest branch bank was a 24-mile ride round trip. (There's nothin' but corn/bean fields in our two-mile radius.) We do have a Wal-Mart SuperCenter 10 miles away, but I shop for groceries once a month for our family of four (plus two cats and two dogs), so the car is a necessity then. Perhaps a bike trailer...
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

We moved out to this little town about 2 years ago, from Tampa. I love my little town - in 10 minutes I can walk to the grocery store, in 15, the post office or the bank. It's fabulous, I couldn't have made that kind of time driving even in Tampa.

My neighbor and I often go to the store together, and we do get weird looks though. I am not sure why driving is such an American necessity, and it explains our obesity rate when my friend or I mention to a new clerk that we walked, and the reaction is anything from "I would have drove" or "there's no way I'd walk that far" and we answer "it's a 10 minute walk!" and the answer is "I still would have drove."

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link. That's a good challenge - and a good reminder. Cargo seems to be my biggest obstacle, but when I can work around that, why not?

We're golfers and there is a golf course within two miles of us. My son used to (and still does sometimes) take his putter and ride his bike to the practice greens. We're still trying to figure out how to take a whole bag of clubs. We all laugh at the thought of carrying them on our backs, but who knows - they make kid trailers - maybe we can rig a trailer out of the hand cart --

Deb
    I've seen a golf bag specific bike attachment! I'm going to look for it right now.

Ha it took some doing but found it! (originally came across this as I was trying to figure out how to make a home-made bike trailer)

http://www.traileron.com/
    Last edited by Eden; 10-24-2007 at 02:36 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Even though you can do the same search on mapping functions, somehow it's more fun with all the little bikes. Since I'm moving soon, this help put some perspective on my errands. Cool.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

We walk everywhere. We walk to the grocery store (DH takes a backpack), to dinner, and just for fun. Home Depot is walking distance as are many other places. If we go downtown, we will generally take the bus unless there's a really good reason for us not to.

It amazes me the people who will drive 3/4 mile for something minor.

Costco is more than 2 miles away but even if it wasn't, I'd have to drive. We buy many, many heavy things.

The map was fun, though it doesn't account for the routes you have to take. It's as the crow flies.

I do have an old bike with a rack and grocery panniers. Just used it last weekend for a grocery run. But I should use it more.

Just for fun I put in my address, and I was quite impressed.

Within 2 miles radius I have access to 3 beaches, 2 bike shops, numerous parks, a large mall, 5 banks, 5 supermarkets, 2 movie theatres and other useful stuff.
    Ah, the joys of living in the city. Whilst there is an adequate bus service, I think I'll stick with cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    I've seen a golf bag specific bike attachment! I'm going to look for it right now.

Ha it took some doing but found it! (originally came across this as I was trying to figure out how to make a home-made bike trailer)

http://www.traileron.com/
    Wow - I can't believe there actually is one! I figured there would be something that would work with a little altering --

And it works with hand cart - (use the hand cart on the golf course as well), or it works with a kids' wagon, or with a basket on wheels - hmm . . . could be really useful for other things as well.

Thanks for posting that.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAnika View Post
    I live in the old central part of our town. While the newer outskirts have fantastic bike lanes and roads with shoulders, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get to any of the retail areas safely on a bike.
    Sounds like it's time to start raising h*ll with the powers that be in your area.

People grumble about funding bike infrastructure because they view it as subsidizing the choices of the "minority." Aren't the conditions Anika mentions subsidizing the automobile industry? We deserve healthy choices in our transportation. Be the squeaky wheel!

(Getting off of my soapbox.) Whew.
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Guess what??
    Just biking everywhere within 2 miles (or slightly more) from this house that I'm watching (which happens to be in the part of town that I usually need to be in anyways) I racked up 12 miles yesterday!! Yay! And all on my single speed too! It's really cool how much you move about during the day, and how much you would spend/waste if you were in a car.

I love this!!

Good for you, Lisa. With two homes (ya, I know, talk to my DH about it) - one in town and one in the country - I'm really acutely aware of this stuff. At our winter home we drive maybe once a week. Other than that, we ride the bikes. Groceries, gym, department store, liquor store, church, and half a dozen really good restaurants are within two miles. Brave the traffic and broken glass on the causeway (and get the sole hill ride you're going to get in Florida), and within six miles you get movies, hardware, library, K-Mart and post office.

"Up north" it's a whole 'nother story. It's 15 miles to the nearest anything, and the roads into town are really not safe for bicycling. Narrow, high-speed, heavy traffic, and no shoulders. So I do the best I can - consolidate trips for sure, but it's a rare day here when I don't start the car. At least I *try* to take the trash out in the wheelbarrow - half a mile to the street, up and down steep rises, is a long way to push it, so if I remember and there's room in the car the day before trash day, it sits on the curb all day.

I really, really love living here. It's so beautiful it takes my breath away almost every time I come home. Giving it up for environmental reasons is a step I know I should make, but probably won't any time soon. At least I can have a vegetable garden here, which does save *some* petroleum...

- Oak, whose car will be packed with tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, butternut squash, kabocha squash, and dried peppers and herbs when we make the trip south - no apples this year because of a late freeze, no beans or carrots because the dang deer kept eating the plants