Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 63 of 74 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    It had to go through a number of changes to adapt it to the rack, including reinforcing the back with leather (I definitely want it to last.) The final result is this casual but elegant pannier that easily mounts/dismounts from the bike rack.

Attachment 11016

My weekend project is to make an early 70's Samsonite shoulder bag into a pannier for another mixte I'm fixing up (a 74 Raleigh). It's super mod! Did you just use leather for reinforcement? Lots of folks use wood but I'm not crazy about that idea as it will make the bag so heavy! Would you mind showing me what the attachment system looks like on the outside of the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by ummbnb View Post
    My weekend project is to make an early 70's Samsonite shoulder bag into a pannier for another mixte I'm fixing up (a 74 Raleigh). It's super mod! Did you just use leather for reinforcement? Lots of folks use wood but I'm not crazy about that idea as it will make the bag so heavy! Would you mind showing me what the attachment system looks like on the outside of the bag?
    ummbnb: Here is a picture of the back. Notice there are two pieces of leather for reinforcement: inside and out. These were sandwiched together and stitched to the basket. The attachments (hooks) are riveted. I don't know if all this is something that can be easily done at home unless you have the proper equipment. However, a good leather/shoe repair shop should be able to assist you with your project. You just have to be specific and bring them all the necessary hardware. Good luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pannier Back.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	11019

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
    ummbnb: Here is a picture of the back. Notice there are two pieces of leather for reinforcement: inside and out. These were sandwiched together and stitched to the basket. The attachments (hooks) are riveted. I don't know if all this is something that can be easily done at home unless you have the proper equipment. However, a good leather/shoe repair shop should be able to assist you with your project. You just have to be specific and bring them all the necessary hardware. Good luck!

Name:	Pannier Back.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	11019

Thanks!!

nishike mixte

The beautiful nishiki mixte I ran across last week is back up for sale. It is a 17" (~44 cm). When I rode it, it seemed a bit too small. A 19" would be perfect for me--I'm 5'3". Is there anything that can be done to make the 17" more suited to my height? longer seatpost, new handlebars? Being a newbie with these older bikes, especially the mixte frame, I'm not really sure how they're supposed to feel. Or, should I just get this bike out of my mind?!

Quote Originally Posted by skinimini View Post
    The beautiful nishiki mixte I ran across last week is back up for sale. It is a 17" (~44 cm). When I rode it, it seemed a bit too small. A 19" would be perfect for me--I'm 5'3". Is there anything that can be done to make the 17" more suited to my height? longer seatpost, new handlebars? Being a newbie with these older bikes, especially the mixte frame, I'm not really sure how they're supposed to feel. Or, should I just get this bike out of my mind?!
    Honestly, I'd try and be patient for the right bike. A poor fitting bike will always be a poor fitting bike. I know it's crazymaking to wait, I did for over a year, but so worth it!

Puch mixte in St. Louis

$90 Puch Pathfinder on the St. Louis craigslist. It was their low end bike, but maybe a fun project for someone.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

ummmbnb we have sister bikes! Enjoy! I love mine...takes the kids to school in the morning and i feel like one of the kids! Fun! Check out post #704 or somewhere aroudn there.

Okay post #708....She is a beaut! Love the wood slats in the basket. Husband is a woodworker may have to take that idea one of these days.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by skinimini View Post
    Skinimini: Not sure how set you are on brand. However, I saw this bike on Phoenix craigslist and thought of you. Seems to be your size. From the pics, the bike is in beautiful condition. I personally dig that copper color. This gentleman apparently buys and resells bikes as I see his ads all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ships. Otherwise, I might be able to sponsor.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bik/1694121976.html

Name:	d7a6f45b5a92954621104ba782b554ba--1--IMG0354JPG--large.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	11038

Name:	d7a6f45b5a92954621104ba782b554ba--3--IMG0358JPG--large.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	11039

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    That's where I got the idea...except mine is a regular $15 Wald with $5 worth of wood and stain.

Quote Originally Posted by nic840 View Post
    Okay post #708....She is a beaut! Love the wood slats in the basket. Husband is a woodworker may have to take that idea one of these days.
    Cool! I love the wood in the basket. Just adds a nice little touch of class.

I saw 4 mixtes in one place last weekend in Vermont. A Nishiki, a Miyata, and 2 others in pretty nice condition and for sale. If anyone is interested and is driving through VT, I can give you the location.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

mixte sizing help...

basically I'm trying to help my mum put a new bike together, however she's 6 foot and set on having a mixte... I'm not too sure how mixtes size up, or whether they even exist in that size? would i be looking at about a 21" frame or something smaller? thanks for any help. x
    Last edited by mariondotdash; 05-19-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: sense