Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dawn, sorry to hear about your accident. I have no wise words, as I am still struggling through my own recovery and all the emotions surrounding it. But I will say to just hang in there, lean on your friends, and be around as many positive people as you can. If you want to ride your bike again, in time you will.
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

day 4

pain exhausted, improving maybe home next week. miss updating, but i am too tired. cookies are helping, though

Sending loads of butterflies (and some pretty pictures, too)

You'll get there!

Hugs,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

day i dont know

i laugh, i cry, i stand and pivot, but no walking for two months at least. need time to digest all this, love the support. not going to be able to keep the daily updates, but maybe weekly. not able to go home till maybe next week, not sure. still in rehab. thanks for the prayers, words, and love. still here, just ghosting for a bit. take care all. insvblwmn

no walking for 2 months! awful! keep working. See if you can get a weight to lift with your "good" arm.

keep in touch! keep coming back here to talk to us.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by invsblwmn View Post
    i laugh, i cry, i stand and pivot, but no walking for two months at least. need time to digest all this, love the support. not going to be able to keep the daily updates, but maybe weekly. not able to go home till maybe next week, not sure. still in rehab. thanks for the prayers, words, and love. still here, just ghosting for a bit. take care all. insvblwmn
    Pain is exhausting. So is rehab. We'll be here, cheering you on. Don't feel like you have to post if you're too tired or hurting.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    It's encouraging to hear you are making progress in your recovery. I know you must get frustrated at times, but your body has to heal at it's own pace and with rest and lots of support, you will be getting around soon. And besides, you can soak in all the pampering from your friends and loved ones.

Insvblwmn, I'm a PT and although I can't say I know how you feel, I can say I've seen people go through similar situations (the toughest job I had was working on a rehab ward with people who had spinal cord injuries). My heart goes out to you. It's a really tough scenario. I'm sending out all kinds of great healing vibes for you. You'll get better, you'll walk, you'll ride your bike if you want to.

In the meantime remember that when someone has a serious injury like this you go through the same stages of grieving as if you've been diagnosed with terminal illness or have lost a loved one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

So be patient, accept the crying when it comes and try to see this as a time when you're going to learn more about yourself than you can imagine. Once the recovering is done, you will be a stronger person.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Take all the time you need. We'll be here when you get back, and we won't forget you.

You can do it!
    Karen

I am so sorry. I just saw this thread. Take time to heal and then one step at a time.

Many of us have had cycling accidents. I knew I would right away I wanted to get back on. The only difference in my riding is, I ride more cautious and seem to be more aware of my surroundings. Not that I was never cautious before, but maybe just more alert and loving it. As Silver said, riding is the best therapy.

Please take care and take one day at a time.

~ JoAnn

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I've been following, but haven't posted. Don't know the right words to say. Only that I'm thinking of you, and sending you speedy recovery vibes. Can't imagine the pain, anguish, frustration and helplessness you must be feeling.
    I'm just glad that you'll eventually be physically ok- the emotional part may take a lot longer.

Hope you feel a little better with each passing day.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Dawn - Sending good vibes from the Big Easy. Here's to more good days than bad days

Is there a mailing address for you, so we can flood your mail box with fan mail? Or do you prefer the electronic form?
    Beth

In terms of adapting your house, we moved our bedrrom to the first floor, making it easier to get around to the most heavily used spaces, getting in and out of the house, etc.. A lot of what you have to do will be obvious. The biggest problem I had was that while we had a bathroom on the first floor it lacked a tub/shower. I found after a while that I was able to sit on my bum on the stairs, and push up with my hands one step at a time. Then my husband could help me in and out of the tub, equipped with a shower chair. Obviusly you will have to ask your PT for tips on strategies to use if you also need to get up stairs in regard to your specific injuries. If it is a problem for you, other options include having someone carry you up stairs, or in the beginning I had my husband drive me to use a shower at work which I could get to on flat ground plus an elevator (a gym shower might also work). I purchased a camping shower to try in my yard, again, I could get to it on flat ground, but I didn't like it, but that's an option too. I also found those towelettes they use for sponge baths in the hospital could be used to keep me fresh feeling between showers.

So glad to hear you will be released soon. It must mean you are making terrific progress!
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 10-09-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Still thinking about you daily and hoping the pain eases a bit. Don't worry about updating, just focus on your rehab...we'll be here sending you positive healing thoughts each day.

Electra Townie 7D