Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well seeing as how we have absolutely no leash laws in my rural part of the county I deal with dogs daily. I have had one scary encounter going up a hill which I was saved by a motorist cutting the dogs off.

Other that I have decided the real danger is hitting the dogs, not being bit. Most of the dogs around here come to a screeching halt once you pass their property line. I use Silver's method and tell them calmly to go home. Getting off the bike would work well if you have a chaser determined to keep running. My mom had a rottweiler that would get out, if she ran after him or from him he would just run like the wind. It was all a game. If she stood still he got bored and came home.

Now cows in the road, that is a real danger in rural Texas!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Good thoughts, how to "get off the bike" in time, geez

Yes, I think getting off takes the thrill out of it, but like posted too, I wasn't sure how to get unclipped/stop/get off, etc. without the dog chunking me/darting in front of me wrecking me. One man friend from the gym says the worst is when the go to attack the front tire. OH! I did have some nice man in a SUV run the interference for me too between stopped dogs and I. Felt like I had my own personal tour car lol! I think sometimes why the dog stops on the edge of the property line is that the "defense" of home turf has ened. The one dog just would NOT stop. I think he would ran forever...I was really starting to wonder.

I agree that I have had better luck speaking sweetly to dogs. If they are just running for the sake of the chase it seems to make them pull right up. If they are determined to bite, I don't think our tone of voice will matter.

I have had more than one dog pull up when I've said, "Hello, Doggie."

Start with a hello - acknowledge the dog.
    Cuz it's usually just a game, and like the above posters have said, it ends at the property line.
    If they keep chasing and barking aggressively, say a firm, low, "NO."

Carry dog treats.

A runner who passes my property daily throws dog cookies over the fence to my (fenced in) retrievers. They wait for him every day. They bark and run along the fenceline next to him. It's a game.
    I can do five more miles.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I personally think it's not a good idea to reward dogs with doggie treats for barking and chasing you.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We live 3 miles from a golf course. My DH collected the golf balls and always had one to throw when dogs were bothering him. He wouldn't throw AT the dog, but in front of it. It would distract the dog enough to buy him time to get down the road.
    We've had a lot less dog problems as of late in town. It's when we go somewhere else. And i've gotten off my bike more than once, that method works.
    I wouldn't give dogs treats for chasing bikes either. That's not a good idea.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

from my dog trainer friend:

The boxer I have been working with is what I would call a short nose dog.
    Boxers have the awful smashed in face. I'd put money on that Boxer nailing
    even the fastest bikers.

Most but not all snub nose breeds also have the
    body conformation that makes them slow and they are medium to small dogs. They can't keep up with you because they can't breath over long periods of
    exertion. About the heaviest of the short nose breeds I can think of right
    off the back would be the English Bulldog and tallest would be the Boxers.
    Breeds like Mastiffs I don't consider short nose dogs.
    So to answer your question I guess as a generalization that would be true but look out for that boxer!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Yeah, boxers are spectacular, think was heard dog..

That's a pretty good thought on the boxers...they are spectacular in their physique...extremely cut leg muscles, and powerful neck & jaws. Very fast runners. You ladies have me curious, and I think I found in a dog breed ID book we have that he was more of a sheep hearding dog, cross between a border collie and something else maybe. That would explain his urge to "bring me around" & the endless running ability. The eating strange treats is a natural habit for dogs--as most love to eat, but that was a training thing I read once you could try and break the dog of, as unfortunately there are people who deliberately poison dogs--such as burglers. Interesting tv show once on what theifs thought the biggest hassle...you might think a professional house alram/security system...it was a dog, none wanted to deal with them, they'd pick another house... or if they want it bad enough, they put poison in the treat to elimate the dog. I think I gotta spin back there in the vehicle to see if he chases me that way. Might be road kill by now if the people don't take care of him. I'm sure how you hold yourself in a rideable straight line with the dog lunging at ya. No more yelling for me next time...hard adreneline rush to naturally resist, geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    I personally think it's not a good idea to reward dogs with doggie treats for barking and chasing you.
    I agree! Pavlov proved that!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Hopefully, you get them the biscuit before the barking and chasing starts, particularly if it is a dog you routinely see on your ride.
    I know what you mean about not wanting to reward, but sometimes it's just enough of a distraction.
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt View Post
    A squirt from your water bottle works just as well. Assuming you can get the range with a water bottle.

I've been chased by my fair share of dogs, particularly in the hinterlands of Oregon where I grew up. What I've realized is most dogs are chasing you just because, well, you are moving. I think the mindset of the average dog is "moving thing, chase." It's the ones that KNOW what they are going to do when they catch you that worry me.

Mostly, I've learned not to pay them any mind. If they don't lose interest after an appropriate amount of time, I'll give them a shot of water.
    yes a squirt from the water bottle would do the trick. i had an experience in the past when i was chased by one angry dog and squirted water on its face, however, for some strange reason it wasn't enough to squirt once, i had to do it three times and ended up having half-full water bottle but at least i got rid of him.

Water pistol?

How about carrying a kid's water pistol filled with vinegar and water? Probably easer to aim than a water bottle and covers a bigger distance. You could put it in your bike jersey pocket.

OK, kind of a silly idea, but I bet it would work .

I live in NYC where there are very few loose dogs, and I never untill this moment thought about the dog danger on my occasional rides in the country. Good thing to be aware of for the future.

Our big dog danger here is long easy release leashes - several bad accidents caused by the biker hitting a leash they didn't see. Not good for the dog either.

Good idea, not even sure the vinegar would be necessary. Water alone will usually throw them off.

Some friends used bitter apple to train their dogs. It could be used to fill a water pistol and dogs seem to really hate it.

The problem with pepper spray is that if you are upwind when you spray the stuff, you have just pepper sprayed yourself.

I've been hit with pepper spray. (military uses it and tear gas to show us our gas masks work. So they claim). I'd rather deal with the dog.
    re-cur-sion ri'-ker-shen n: see recursion

Bitter Apple is a maybe thing for some dogs... I have known some dogs that eat that stuff like candy, go figure!

I have done the 'bad dog' thing with the bike between me and said doggy, luckily i was already dismounted. Should have seen that dog's confused little face when suddenly it's target became big bad shaky bike thing with a deep booming voice. It ran off with it's tail between it's legs!

Never been chased by a dog while mounted, but was chased by one while running the other day. I stopped running so it wouldn't chase and tried to yell but luckily the owner came out and pulled it in (and don't EVEN get me started on dogs that are not leashed or fenced when their owners aren't present....)

Check into your local laws too. Here if a dog comes off his property in a "menacing" manner and it's reported the dog will be labeled as a "potentially dangerous dog". The owner then has to relocate the dog outside the county, appeal the decision, euthanize, or pay a hefty fee to license the dog as a potentially dangerous dog. As a dog lover I do think it's harsh and there should be a warning first (unless the dog bit but he'd be in the dangerous category at that point anyhow) but it's nice to know the law exists. I have one dog (Australian Cattle Dog) that chases me on occasion and I'm sure will bite if he gets close enough. That's what he's bred to do so I don't fault the dog but I did let the owner know about the dangerous dog law.